Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Do you think it's fair that my home state of New Mexico allocates 84% of the permits to residents, 10% to guided hunters, and 6% to DIY nonresidents when the vast majority of the hunting takes place on federal land? Do you think it's fair to charge a nonresident 29X what a Montana resident pays? How would your parents feel if the state of Minnesota dictated the number of residents and nonresidents that could hunt on their land?

This is exactly what I was talking about. It's BS........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Do you think it's fair that my home state of New Mexico allocates 84% of the permits to residents, 10% to guided hunters, and 6% to DIY nonresidents when the vast majority of the hunting takes place on federal land? Do you think it's fair to charge a nonresident 29X what a Montana resident pays? How would your parents feel if the state of Minnesota dictated the number of residents and nonresidents that could hunt on their land?

Would you like to see a federal hunting license to hunt on federal land? This would entail federal game wardens to enforce federal law. It also would mean that all game animals on federal land belong to the feds. How do we keep the animals on federal land from crossing over onto state and private land?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too bad posters haven't looked as to why the feds control public lands and why the manage as they do. Also interesting how some one in particular seems to know alot about CO yet hasn't hunted in how long?

AS far as access - I only have 52% lung capacity been down with congestive heart problems, have a thoroughly screwed back along with other such minor problems. Where was I a week ago? Between 9500 and 11,000 ASL chasing critters and not whining about how I can't.

Campfire my butt, this is the whinefest.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Folks can't figure out hunting is a state regulated activity, of state animals.

Feds take care of their responsibilities like camping, recreation, access, off road travel, water, leasing, use fees.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp

Feds take care of their responsibilities like camping, recreation, access, off road travel, water, leasing, use fees.

Kent

The Feds actually only grant the state the power to regulate hunting and fishing on public lands because it's cheaper to do so, rather than have to hire their own force of game wardens and biologists to deal with all of it.

Each state has an MOU with the feds.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by derby_dude
A foot rail? A foot trail? What foot trail? I'd love to see a foot trail. Game trail maybe but no foot trails. This country ain't Colorado.

This particular trail is actually open to livestock and foot travel. I just call it a foot trail. Sorry you've never seen one, and think there are none in Montana, but that's not my problem. If you had, maybe we could have an intelligent conversation on the subject.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
Too bad posters haven't looked as to why the feds control public lands and why the manage as they do. Also interesting how some one in particular seems to know alot about CO yet hasn't hunted in how long?

AS far as access - I only have 52% lung capacity been down with congestive heart problems, have a thoroughly screwed back along with other such minor problems. Where was I a week ago? Between 9500 and 11,000 ASL chasing critters and not whining about how I can't.

Campfire my butt, this is the whinefest.

I don't care what Colorado does as long as it says in Colorado.

I'm glad you are able to do that. More power to you.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

The Feds actually only grant the state the power to regulate hunting and fishing on public lands because it's cheaper to do so, rather than have to hire their own force of game wardens and biologists to deal with all of it.

State animals, feds don't own the animals. It would be a legal fight of state constitutions.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
A foot rail? A foot trail? What foot trail? I'd love to see a foot trail. Game trail maybe but no foot trails. This country ain't Colorado.

This particular trail is actually open to livestock and foot travel. I just call it a foot trail. Sorry you've never seen one, and think there are none in Montana, but that's not my problem. If you had, maybe we could have an intelligent conversation on the subject.

You are probably right. Colorado and Montana are two different countries with a different cultures.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Kent, I understand, but they doo indeed have MOU's with each state.

That fight over state's rights was long ago. I think we need another.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

State animals, feds don't own the animals. It would be a legal fight of state constitutions.

Kent

Kent,

Exactly. Those whining about being NRs could move, or hunt elsewhere. Limited resources, in demand, and proper management of the game populations require restriction of access and tags.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
It'll take a lot more than that. I'm 67 with back and leg issues. I can walk and get around pretty good in town but not out in the woods not any more.

Sorry, I didn't realize this thread was about you, your needs, and your physical infirmities. Big game hunting is a physical sport. Because the animals live out in the woods and mountains, and you have to go get them. You may even have to walk a mile. At some point in everyone's life, they find they're unable to continue.

But if you open up the countryside to motorized access everywhere, the hunting suffers. For everyone.

It's not about me it's about access to hunting. Montana is big country that needs transportation to access the wild areas. Whether it's horse, horse drawn carriage, ATV, UTV or whatever transportation is needed. Heck, it's getting easier to get access to hunt private land than it is to hunt federal land.

Montana is not called Big Sky Country without a reason.

Bullschit. There are a LOT of hunters who WALK into "Big Sky Country" every year to hunt. Hell, horses are permitted even in wilderness areas. Transportation is not "needed"; it's "wanted". Can't drive there? Fine; walk or ride a horse. You can still get there and no one has locked it off completely.

Hell, you (derby_dunce) don't even hunt. WTF are you whining about?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Would you like to see a federal hunting license to hunt on federal land? This would entail federal game wardens to enforce federal law. It also would mean that all game animals on federal land belong to the feds. How do we keep the animals on federal land from crossing over onto state and private land?

No. And I don't think I alluded to such........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So, what do you want?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To DD,

If you can't run with the big dogs and hunt the steep hills out west, go to Nebraska, quit whining, and leave us alone. I just saw a doctor yesterday for my knees, but I'll keep hunting, just slower every year.

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Heck, it's getting easier to get access to hunt private land than it is to hunt federal land.

For clarification purposes, this is coming from someone who never leaves the house.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Heck, it's getting easier to get access to hunt private land than it is to hunt federal land.

For clarification purposes, this is coming from someone who never leaves the house.

Exactly. Federal land? Park at a parking location and WALK in. How fookin' hard is THAT?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More tags allocated to nonresidents at fairer prices on Federal lands.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Under our present system wild life is State property and managed by the State with the Feds blessings. The Feds have given serious thought to charging an access fee to access federal property. So far the thought has gone nowhere at least in Montana.

Montana charges more for out-state hunters because the out-state hunters don't live in Montana and pay taxes such as income taxes. Montana has taken the attitude that if you want to pay lower hunting fess move to Montana, become a tax paying resident and pay less to hunt.

By Montana I'm referring to the state government.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More tags allocated to nonresidents at fairer prices on Federal lands.....

There's the whole issue of supply and demand for a limited resource that needs to be managed quite closely.

You can b!tch all you want, but it's a state issue and as a non-resident, you don't have a say (and shouldn't) because the wildlife are managed at the state level, not the federal level. So, unless you want 1) federal management, or 2) to move to a certain state, you're ass out and should be.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,400
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.