Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw,
The UPSIDE to this is that you can contact either Melvin Forbes OR Dave Talley. I've met and dealt with both through the years. It would be awfully difficult to say who is the greater Gentleman. Both are a PLEASURE to deal with and talk to... To say nothing of carrying product support to a pseudo religion. Great ambassadors of the shooting sports...imho

Regards, Matt.

I'll second that. Talley took care of me one time when I had an application problem. Melvin answers his phone when you call......or used to. And they'll both take care of their customers.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Reloder28
You buy cheap you get cheap. What do you expect for $40?

Proven, albeit heavier, alternatives:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by oregontripper; 11/02/14.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Kill it with Millett

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Kill it with Millett

[Linked Image]

laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Originally Posted by Reloder28
You buy cheap you get cheap. What do you expect for $40?

Proven, albeit heavier, alternatives:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not a fan of Leupold PRS, but I've used them. Warne I've used, too....but no longer a fan. The DD mounts/rings I like.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wreck it with Weaver!
[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
For a bombproof non-QR system it's hard to go wrong with leupold dual dovetails.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't see the fascination with Talley rings. I bought a set after reading about them on this forum and I was extremely disappointed. I highly doubt I'll ever buy them again. I'd rather have scope rings such as the Burris rings that are a few ounces heavier(probably won't even notice once on the gun.) And have a ring that is 10x the quality

Last edited by slowr1der; 11/02/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
For a bombproof non-QR system it's hard to go wrong with leupold dual dovetails.

Not so...I had a set on a XP-100 in 35 Remington that the dovetail sheared off. Nothing is 100% fail proof

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Kill it with Millett

[Linked Image]

I'm assuming Steely is being a bit sarcastic here, but I have actually had very good luck with the Angle-Loc rings. I have them on a couple of slug guns and they have held up fine. Conversely, I have witnessed the Millett turn-in rings fail miserably.

I have always been under the impression that Talley Lightweights were a high grade mounting system. They have always worked well for me. Hopefully, this failure is just a one off event.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Millet Angle Locks are the only ring I have every had absolutely fail. Junk, at best.

Anymore, my go to is a Weaver or Picatinny base and Burris Zee rings. I have had, and like, Talley LWs in the past, and they worked find. I just like the weaver/Pic setup better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Millet Angle Locks are the only ring I have every had absolutely fail. Junk, at best.

Anymore, my go to is a Weaver or Picatinny base and Burris Zee rings. I have had, and like, Talley LWs in the past, and they worked find. I just like the weaver/Pic setup better.

Perhaps the reason I have not had a problem with Angle-Locs is that mine are all 20-25 years old. I would not buy them today.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Very possibly, but I think the entire design is faulty. There simply isnt a large enough bearing surface gripping the rail to make me confident. Even before the set I had actually failed, I was in a constant fight to keep them anchored. When I finally got them tight enough to stay zeroed, I had torqued the ever loving piss out of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm surprised all of mine aren't cracked. Finally bought a torque wrench and was a little shocked at how much I over did it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Not so...I had a set on a XP-100 in 35 Remington that the dovetail sheared off. Nothing is 100% fail proof

Yep. I had some on a 25/06. Groups went to hell. Fuggers cracked....

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Weaver actually makes some nice stuff, are usually cheaper than comparable Leupold or Burris, and many are Made In USA (beware of blister packs sold in big box stores), but don't get mentioned much. They just don't offer these in a low profile ring.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by John_in_MS; 11/02/14.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I saw a top cap on a set of Talley LW break on one of Karnis' rifles a few years ago. It looked like a bad casting with porosity. Talley are great folks to work with. I had a set come with two rear mounts in the package. They fixed me up quick.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No expert on this stuff, but wouldn't these tend to clamp squarely upon themselves, moreso than the dovetail? The Warne designed rings, both the Maximas and the Leupolds, are superior in detail. It's likely some have broken too, and like Talley, they'll stand by their product. I'd like to see a Talley LW style ringmount made from steel.

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Talley(steel) fixed rings and bases. Much better looking and virtually bomb proof.

Problem solved,

Leftybolt

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by liliysdad

Finally, somebody got it right..........

When I bought my M700 SS Mtn rifle in 1993, I put the Uncle Mike's of Oregon labeled Talley's on it (had not heard of Talley's yet). Two weeks prior to elk season, one of the top caps of the Talley's broke across the screw hole. I didn't use a torque screwdriver, but knowing they were aluminum I was very careful not to stretch the threads too much.

Weaver bases and Burris Zee rings have been the lightest, reliable setup I've found so far.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.