-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitka, I went back and reread the. OP's post. He wasn't talking veneer, but cut-offs of wood. My suggestion was that what he wanted to do was possible, but I wouldn't do it. But, if he wanted to go ahead with it, it would probably work. The glue up was going to be very tough if he didn't have the equipment to square everything up prior to gluing things together.

As for whether or not TB III would work in that application, I believe that it would. Over a lot of years I have not had any problems with creep, except during the glue up. A bad clamp job will allow pieces to slide around a bit. I've laminated rocking chair rockers and other curved wooden pieces, and the years pass and the evil creep hasn't showed it's face. So I expect this is much like a lot of what you screech and shout about. You have a lot of opinions that have little basis in fact.

As for your statement about butcher blocks and gunstocks being so different, I disagree. It's just wood being glued up. Do a good job and it'll stay glued up.

Heck, the hard part about making a gunstock is not the glue up, it's then turning that chunk of wood into a proper stock.

And, regarding your constant screeching and shouting that I mentioned earlier, Shakespeare must have been thinking of you when he said "it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". You have a tendency to become tiresome.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I suspect the OP was using the term "butcher block" because he lost the term "laminated" for a minute while asking his question.

Nope, i meant butcher block. Like this.... only a gun stock.

[Linked Image]

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you can get pieces 30" long you can probably squeeze one out, but I would not do the random length thing, at all.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Creep" is an engineering term unrelated to the glue-up. The fact you are clueless about that is only more proof you have no freaking clue what you are talking about.

Again, asking advice should be your forte.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you can get pieces 30" long you can probably squeeze one out, but I would not do the random length thing, at all.

Not random by much, i am simply able to get them in the lengths i stated above. I was thinking of doing the offset as pictured so there is not one main joint. That would cause weakness in the stock and that is not a good thing.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ironeagle 84;
Top of the morning to you Marty, it's good to see you posting again and I hope all is well with you and yours.

I'm just about to head up the mountain behind the house for a quick run to see if any whitetail buck or small bull moose are out on this too, too warm morning, but will type a quick comment or two first.

As I believe you know, I've worked in kitchen cabinetry in one form or another for since '87 and during that time saw untold train car loads of maple laminated up for kitchen counter tops, cutting boards, solid panel cabinet doors, solid panel passage doors and other miscellaneous items like mantles, etc.

It is my opinion that while it's possible to make a stock out of random length off cuts, the result will not be favorable and the eventual outcome will be that you'll learn not to do it again.

That said, I've found sometimes experiences like that aren't all bad in the greater scheme of things as I've learned more from projects that went into the ditch than ones that worked fine and I wasn't sure just why.

Hopefully that made sense ans was useful information. If you'd like I can answer here or via PM if you'd like to send one later.

At present, the mountain is calling my name and I just gotta go..... wink

All the best to you folks Marty.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne, i want to buy you a cup of coffee and share the woods with you some time. You are a class act.

I appreciate your opinion and was hoping someone with your level of expertise would chime in. I can also get 1/4" walnut veneer and maple and mahogany.... I just thought i would get the free stuff.

I am glad i havent started, but if i can score enough reject walnut, maybe i will make a stock for my 22. Marlin model 60.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ironeagle 84;
Thanks for the kind words sir, I do appreciate them and will do my best in future posts to deserve them.

My main reservation with a "cutting board" type lamination is that it does move somewhat - as do laminated solid wood door panels, drawer fronts, etc - and they move more than I'd be comfortable with in a stock.

I have done a two piece laminated walnut stock in a .22 and for sure I'd think a .22 project stock would be a grand place to start. Typically we don't expose our .22's to either the recoil forces or the weather that some of our big game hunting rifles are going to see.

If one was to do full width lamination - say 6" wide pieces - then one could conceivably end up with something similar to a Serengeti stock - if the glue is correct and correctly applied.

Anyway Marty, hopefully that made some sense and was useful for you or someone out there tonight. All the best to you and your family, good luck with your woodwork projects and your remaining hunts this fall too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a rimfire 22, I say go for it. As Dwayne said, lots to learn, maybe even more so if it doesn't work. But I don't see knocking the glued up joints loose with that, and may turn out to be quite the conversation piece at the range.

You can always claim to be able to shoot it and butcher it with the same gun!

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Butcher Block Stock- I'd mill the off side of the butt stock flat so I could serve cheese and charcuterie. Maybe in let the rear to hold a small knife and fork.

grin

Sounds like a fun project, Marty! Post photos as you go.

As to butcher blocks and stocks- I've beat the hell out of some butcher blocks. Lots of water and pounding, drops of counters. Sure there are large differences, but I've abused a few butcher blocks far more than I have rifle stocks.

Last edited by MadMooner; 11/09/14.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Butcher Block Stock- I'd mill the off side of the butt stock flat so I could serve cheese and charcuterie. Maybe in let the rear to hold a small knife and fork.

grin

Sounds like a fun project, Marty! Post photos as you go.

There-You-Go!

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

I suspect the OP was using the term "butcher block" because he lost the term "laminated" for a minute while asking his question.

Nope, i meant butcher block. Like this.... only a gun stock.

[Linked Image]

Just wrong. Not a Good Idea.

Texas
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It'd be different enough that I think it'd be cool! Plus you built it yourself.

I say do it Marty!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A skilled stockmaker is going to take a minimum of 40 hours to make a stock from a blank. With that much effort going into the work it seems strange to go so cheap on the most critical material.

Time spent laying out the stock and working hard to ensure everything looks exactly right would be lost if all of that was given up for purely random results.

Anyone goofy enough to believe a cutting board glue-up is at all like a laminated stock would be needs to look closer at the uniform, large gluing faces in cutting board pieces and the narrow glue-ups in critical places in a stock. Then look at the differences in forces being placed on those joints. They are nothing alike!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A skilled stockmaker is going to take a minimum of 40 hours to make a stock from a blank. With that much effort going into the work it seems strange to go so cheap on the most critical material.

Time spent laying out the stock and working hard to ensure everything looks exactly right would be lost if all of that was given up for purely random results.

Anyone goofy enough to believe a cutting board glue-up is at all like a laminated stock would be needs to look closer at the uniform, large gluing faces in cutting board pieces and the narrow glue-ups in critical places in a stock. Then look at the differences in forces being placed on those joints. They are nothing alike!

For phucs sake Art, he just wants to find a winter project and hide in the garage and have fun for a while. Its not going to be a 460 Weatherby. crazy

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Obviously Bubba is alive and well...

Garbage in, garbage out...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

As is the obnoxious know it all from AK.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Honestly Art, its not always about making the world's greatest stock. In this case, i was mostly thinking out loud, and looking to have a little fun in the process.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

Honestly Art, its not always about making the world's greatest stock. In this case, i was mostly thinking out loud, and looking to have a little fun in the process.

By all means, have a little fun, spend a little time doing whatever you want. That is almost totally your call (though your wife and family may have some input) and making sawdust is a great way to do that... Old men sitting on the porch whittling for a few hours are just doing that sort of thing...

But building a stock has some serious time commitment and in my very direct experience teaching a number of folks to build stocks they do not do their best work when they know the outcome is going to be "special."

Practicing checkering for example on a beat-up stock does not lead to the concentration required to do it right. When Riley, at 10, decided to build a stock he chose from a huge stack of blanks most folks would call Exhibition grade. And he did a hell of a job, and not just for a 10-year-old. He was excited about the project the whole way (until he had to sand it!) and the result was not only that better stock but he learned a lot more that carried forward.

There are structural and aesthetic considerations in your plan and the simple answer is the result will not be worthy of your 40+ hours of work.

If finding a stick worth your time is an issue send me your address in a PM and I will mail you a stick, gratis, that will leave you with something worthy of your time and pride.

You will learn more and feel better about it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Craigster

As is the obnoxious know it all from AK.

What's the matter there Google-FU? Fail to find anything of value in your searches and had to pretend you had something of value to add?

If I have ever said anything you know to be wrong, please list it. You have made all sorts of very stupid posts and have yet to show me an error I made.

And anyone knowing anything has left you in the dust.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,087
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.