-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
165 Ballistic tip (.308) at 2750 fps impact. Accubond should have done much better!

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C'mon man.. Shooting into water?

Apples and apples is a little more meaningful.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by BobinNH
pathfinder the fellow it happened to was using a 200 gr BBC in a 338 Win Mag.....can happen with the best of them I guess but never had it happen to me personally.

But I can see how it could....at 30 yards and 2800+ fps that elk shoulder would be about like a steel plate.Bullet hits at an angle and sort of deflects instead of digging in.

I've seen three elk killed with AB's now.......contrary to some breathless early repots, so far I wouldn't mistake it for a Partition.

Had a friend who has hunters on his family ranch, he essentially said the same thing this past month.

Don't get me wrong, the AB is a better than average bullet........

Casey

In your mind, what is average?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
all rifles will fail, all scopes will fail, all ammo will fail.

I think the angle was probably the biggest issue there.

I am still waiting to see a barnes fail for me or friends, but I expect I"ll see it sooner or later.

Personally for elk in an 06 I'd be running 180s of about any standard bullets flavor. But I really think that the angle was the issue here. Like tossing a stone at a flat water surface... I suspect it kind of skipped in a way.

Being that high of an angle the ideal would have been a very low entry shot though, and exit high due to angle. As it was if this one had penetrated it may well, dependign on angle, only stunned the elk with a hit above the spine, rather than killed it.

Bottom line, the shooter knew to never drop your guard, and to keep shooting, till its down and out, and all was good.

Loved the story and pics. Especially the last picture.

Excellent post rost. I agree that the shot placement was off at that angle as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If it blew up were there bullet fragments imbedded in the meat or hide? Should have been more than couple with that small amount of penetration. If not, then something else altered a normal outcome.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I too shot an AB this year into a moose and had it "blow up" the shoulder. I will take some responsibilty as I should have used a heavier than 165 gr from a 300 wsm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
C'mon man.. Shooting into water?

Apples and apples is a little more meaningful.

I may have been misinformed but I was told that water puts severe strain on a bullet.

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hey Fotis, how goes it?

Yeah, I think the water jugs are an acceptable test med, for a soft-tissue shot on game, but I don't think they substitute for an elk shoulder blade very well.

Still, in general, my "water jug testing" has pretty much shown the same thing as my in-the-field observations:

The heavier constructed bullets penetrate deeper, expand less.

The lighter constructed bullets expand more and penetrate less.

Not really all that difficult for me to accept. Bullets like the TSX, Nosler Partition, Nosler Accubond, Swift A-Frame, all penetrated well. The Ballistic Tip impressed me by hanging together as well as it did, and I've seen it do the same thing on game, meaning it performs pretty doggone well.

Why this particular Accubond & elk shoulder didn't work out so well? I don't know, but I tend to go along with the guys who are thinking it was the angle of impact. That's got to play a significant part.

Okay, hopping in the Jeep now, looking for a big ol' trophy spike mule deer dink... smile Hopefully the Ballistic Tips in my .25-06 will be adequate. Again. smile

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If in fact it was a dead on hit that shoulder bone should have been broken as a minimum. And I am not limiting that statement on the AB alone. Hornady, Sierra, and other non premiums should be able to crack that bone too.

I have seen this done on a 7x7 bull elk in Laramie peak.

180 gr BTSP Interlock at 3050 from a 308 Norma mag. Impact at 30 feet. I still have the bullet at home.

μολὼν λαβέ

ACLakey Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We cut the meat up tonight and did find the shoulder blade was broken. We did not find any evidence that the bullet penetrated beyond the blade though.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Any chance you hit a limb before the elk

ACLakey Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was standing next to my uncle when he made the shot, he had a clear line of sight to the elk.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A few years ago I shot an antelope at 100 yards with a 140ge 7mm Accubond. The animal was facing me. I figure the impact velocity at over 3000 fps. The bullet entered just in front of the left shoulder and never exited the chest cavity. DRT.

The bullet acted just like a Ballistic Tip. I still us them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
ACLakey Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

I went searching for the bullet that put the cow down. It entered the back of the neck, devastated the vertebrae, broke the jaw bone, nocked out some teeth and exited through the mouth. This is impressive to say the least, I only found one small piece of jacket in this mess. Conference restored.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
pathfinder the fellow it happened to was using a 200 gr BBC in a 338 Win Mag.....can happen with the best of them I guess but never had it happen to me personally.

But I can see how it could....at 30 yards and 2800+ fps that elk shoulder would be about like a steel plate.Bullet hits at an angle and sort of deflects instead of digging in.

Scary what it would have done at that distance with a hot gun/load.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (35, anothergun, ATC, Angus1895, 38HBWC, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,027
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.