Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I Like my Ruger Scout a lot. I ended up bringing it to Alaska last year and used it to take a black bear. I had planned to bring another rifle but had some problems with that gun and brought the scout instead. I used a Nikon 3-9 BDC scope mounted in QD rings from Warne. I used Remington Core Lokt 180 grain ammo (no other .308 could be found in CT at the time).
I hunted with a five round polymer mag in the rifle and a loaded ten round polymer in my pack.
I would say my only complaint about the rifle would be the narrow forend. It's a little too thin for me.

HR IC

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I would love one in .338 Federal or .358 Winchester. It is still tough to beat a lever gun for a scout type application.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The only thing I like about lever guns is their compact size and length personally, as far as durability, reliability, ballistics, and aftermarket upgrades such as better triggers, stocks, etc. (very important to me), I'll take a bolt gun any day of the week.

Not knocking lever guns or their fans, I understand their merit, just not my thing, but I also grew up shooting bolt-actions, so that's what I'm best with personally.

Although, having said that, Savage 99s have always intrigued me... grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 358 Scout would make a nice rifle for the ground blinds. The 225-grain Sierra bullet is a wonderful bullet for deer and pigs.

Slim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it were a choice between a Savage 99 in 308/358 and the Ruger Scout, the Ruger would win out.
Its a bit more difficult when the Winchester 307 and 356 are in the mix. The Winchesters have proven to be very durable for us over many years of hunting and shooting. The accuracy is good for an off hand hunting rifle. They all function reliably. The triggers can be tuned - with the long take-up of the rebounding hammer Big Bores I admit - unless the lower tang and trigger is replaced.
The 307 Winchester and the 308 Marlin Express are two rifles and cartridges which will serve the walking hunter well.

Slim
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
It wouldn't be difficult for me.

Finding brass & ammo everywhere trumps the merit of proprietary cartridges IMO, I even own a few, 7mm SAUM, .300 SAUM and .338 RCM.

They all have a factory equivalent or a different chambering with more available brass:

.308 Winchester, .338 Federal (.308 brass) .358 Winchester (.308 brass), 7mm-08 (.308 brass), 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag.

Now I realize not all of these chamberings are ideal for a scout rifle, for an all around rifle even in a lever-action, I'd pick 7mm-08 or .308.

Since lever guns can be had in these chamberings, I see no point to the extra ammo and brass expense involved in getting a scout rifle chambered in a proprietary cartridge, just my opinion.

Also, since the effective range of a scout rifle is supposed to be roughly 300 yds on Big Game, I'd say the .308 Winchester makes the most sense on all fronts in a bolt or lever-action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to admit I give no thought to the availability of factory ammunition or brass for any firearm - but I understand it is a consideration. 307 and 356 brass is easily made from 444 Marlin if the need arises.
Of all the cartridges mentioned the 307 and 308 are my favorites. Using the superb Speer 170-grain flat nose Hot Core bullet in the 307 you have a point blank range on a 7" target of about 240-yards which is further than I should be shooting from field positions, but the rifle is up to it.
So many good rifles and cartridges, so little time and money!

Slim
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by william_iorg

So many good rifles and cartridges, so little time and money!
Very True!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I believe the Savage scout rifle is available in .308, 7mm-08 and 7.62x39. That gives a the scout rifle shooter a couple more options.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Or buy a Ruger American Compact in 308 and call it a day.

This is what I did. In fact I bought 2, one in 308 and another in 223. The 2 rifles, along with 2 spare mags each cost less than the GSR. They are 2-3" shorter and a pound lighter. Both will keep 3 shots under 1.5" @ 200 yards.

I like the concept of a handy,light, compact accurate bolt rifle and have seriously considered the GSR since it came out. In the end I just felt I was paying a premium for features I'd never use. It is also a lot heavier than necessary. I have no need for a 10 round mag, 4-5 are plenty, and forward mounted scopes suck. There is nothing they do that a low powered scope with 1X or 2X on the low end mounted conventionally doesn't do better.

I think Ruger is on the right track, but with the heavy laminated stock, flash hider and a 10 round magazine protruding underneath it is neither light, compact, or handy. Put it in a lighter synthetic stock, lose the flash hider, include the smaller 3 and 5 round mags with the gun instead of having to pay extra for them, and reduce the price by about $200 and I'd buy one.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm getting a 308 compact next to go along with the 223.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JMR40

This is what I did. In fact I bought 2, one in 308 and another in 223. The 2 rifles, along with 2 spare mags each cost less than the GSR. They are 2-3" shorter and a pound lighter. Both will keep 3 shots under 1.5" @ 200 yards.

I like the concept of a handy,light, compact accurate bolt rifle and have seriously considered the GSR since it came out. In the end I just felt I was paying a premium for features I'd never use. It is also a lot heavier than necessary. I have no need for a 10 round mag, 4-5 are plenty, and forward mounted scopes suck. There is nothing they do that a low powered scope with 1X or 2X on the low end mounted conventionally doesn't do better.

I think Ruger is on the right track, but with the heavy laminated stock, flash hider and a 10 round magazine protruding underneath it is neither light, compact, or handy. Put it in a lighter synthetic stock, lose the flash hider, include the smaller 3 and 5 round mags with the gun instead of having to pay extra for them, and reduce the price by about $200 and I'd buy one.

Been pondering doing the same for a truck gun. I have a Steyr Scout so that is the benchmark for handiness. I agree that the RIGHT 1-4x scope with a cat-tail on the power ring is equally as versatile as a forward-mounted scout scope. The Ruger Compact lacks BU irons though, and that could be remedied. XS makes a ghost ring that'll clamp the rear base, and NECG makes banded fronts that can be ordered with a variety of ID's and sweated into place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To all the guys that have one and discussed the accuracy issue, thanks.

I've been thinking about getting one and have seen mixed reviews in the accuracy department. Given how well my other Rugers shoot I've been somewhat skeptical of poor accuracy as a rule. I did find one report where a fairly large number (20?)of 3-shot groups with factory ammo averaged MOA accuracy.

Talked to an ex-Army sniper the other day and he loves his. If I sell my second .300WM, as is the plan, the Gunsite Scout is my first choice to replace it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
To all the guys that have one and discussed the accuracy issue, thanks.

I've been thinking about getting one and have seen mixed reviews in the accuracy department. Given how well my other Rugers shoot I've been somewhat skeptical of poor accuracy as a rule. I did find one report where a fairly large number (20?)of 3-shot groups with factory ammo averaged MOA accuracy.

Talked to an ex-Army sniper the other day and he loves his. If I sell my second .300WM, as is the plan, the Gunsite Scout is my first choice to replace it.

My Ruger GSR is the most accurate Ruger rifle I've ever owned.
My only dislike are the metal magazines. Like someone mentioned, they rattle. I use the Factory Polymer mags.
Also, I mounted my scope, a Leupold 2 X 7 via the traditional method.

Never had much use for a Scout Scope, or saw a need for one while hunting. I'm not planning on being a "sniper" or going to war with mine. wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does the GSR have the same fwd mount base as the Frontier? Posted a question earlier about how to remove that base to get a Leupy w 32mm obj. mounted.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Does the GSR have the same fwd mount base as the Frontier? Posted a question earlier about how to remove that base to get a Leupy w 32mm obj. mounted.

It's just a picatinny rail held on with 4 screws.
Ruger has filler screws on their web site.
Mike

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Or Howa, Remington, Kimber, Winchester etc.

I have handled them and was seriously considering buying one. But I just cannot bring myself to do it. It just is not a rifle that I feel I would use a bunch.

Go out and handle a bunch of different 308's and go with the one that feels the best to you.

It seems like the Ruger is marketing to emotion, and a very small niche that is easily filled by other rifles.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scoutman
A lot of talk about sccuracy.

However, what I want to know is what do you think of the rifle after carrying it from dawn till dusk for several days?

I don't own one because IMO it's too heavy for a 308. I seriously doubt that opinion would change after carrying it from dawn till dusk for several days, because I've tried it with rifles in larger calibers.

I also think the length wasted on the flash hider would be better used by a longer barrel and that the magazine is needlessly long for the capacity.

On the plus side it's rugged and has good iron sights.

Last edited by natman; 11/05/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^ this is what ultimately soured me on it too, although the flash hider can easily be removed and replaced with thread protectors.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a sporterized K98 with a 21 inch barrel, iron sights and a cut down military stock. It's actually fairly light. I can't see the GSR as being lighter or having any real advantages over the this rifle. Plus I only have about $200 in the gun. That's 1/4th the cost of the GSR. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 1234, 1badf350, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 73 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,650
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.