-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or grease the seat and rub the chit on the steps. I'm dyslexic....

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Removing his stand, even if you don't intend to keep it is theft, unless you are the land owner. Depending on proximity. If you bait the area you can't hunt it either.

Bringing in dogs to hunt grouse could cause a situation( and remember there will be atkeast one loaded forearm present-cooler heads have to prevail here.

Put up a new stand and secure it with a 5/8" log chain and the biggest master lock you can find. And hunt the area jutt as you normally would

My Farm is located in the poorest county in MN with a reservation on each end. The white trash blame the indians for theft and they all steal. We get broken into every other year and we have hardened tire chains and steel pipe gates and that doesn't stop them. The advent of cordless sawzall's has made it easy for thieves. The point is they steal stuff off private land so you better expect to be stolen on public land. The laws say its fair game for anyone to use on public property so lock it up, but don't be surprised if you find it vandalized and hanging by the lock.

On the grouse hunting idea - good odds your dog may be shot for "running deer".

Yea... walking away may seem like a wimpy thing to do, but my county gets in the national news for people shooting at people over land disputes, or the guy that pulled a 65 year old guy out of his stand and killing him. Remember the Chai Vang incident in WI? When I teach firearms safety about property owners rights, I tell the students they need to keep cool and back down when dealing with agitated people holding guns. These deer are not worth dieing for.

AND the real issue - the person doesn't own that public land even if they have hunted it for 8 years. The only "ownership" they had is other hunters respecting their area and going elsewhere. Now a new party is exercising his right to hunt on PUBLIC land and no one owns that spot. Game wardens have to waste time pulling down "posted signs" on state land every year because idiots feel they "own it".

I'm very fortunate that I have private land, but I still have my disputes even 1 mile off the road in any direction. But its usually guests of the land owners that think they "own" the land and the land owners usually have to get together to settle it. I show my guest hunters exactly where the borders are and they get me if there is a dispte or if we have to track a deer across a border. No problems since we started doing that and eventually everyone mellows because these deer are not worth the hassle. The cattle farming is a different story ;-)

So in the end.

The OP doesn't really have a leg to stand on so quit moaning.
Lock up your stuff
Spread out some hair if you have a vendetta.

and BUY YOUR OWN LAND.

Last edited by humdinger; 11/06/14.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Not sure it would matter much, a thief would likely lie, but I'd have to ask anyway.

Yes, but even if you did not intend to do anything to him, THAT IS WHEN you take the time to make a lasting impression upon him.........

What kind of impression do you want to make?

Thieves are so good at lieing that you will not get any satisfaction out of any answer. The person who got their stand will just get angry over nothing they can prove...

It will be one guy whining about a stand being stolen off land that neither person owns the land. The other guy has every right to hunt there and you are just ruining his hunt.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by humdinger
Well it sounds like you are on public land so you really have no recourse. You can't prove they stole your stand and anything left on private land is almost fair game to be removed or stolen.

I think you're not supposed to leave your stand out there and its free to use by anyone if you do leave it there.

I don't think there is any law on setting up close to the other stand (there is in fish houses!) so you can put your stand up.

If you insist on leaving stands out there, start locking your stands and putting a barrier on them to prevent other people from using them.

I would not do anything to this person that could be considered hunter harassement and especially an entrapment like baiting.

What ever you do has to be invisible though.... I remember going to the DNR seminar on bear baiting and one guy asked about how to stop people from baiting near your sites... the guy suggested under his breath that you spread human or dog hair around the bait site and nothing will come in then.

What ever you do.. don't have a confrontation that will turn into negative press to harm the sport and image of hunting. Walkawy from it if you must.

Buy or lease land if you want to have the right to be pissy. Otherwise they have as much rights to be there as you by law.

If I ever become this much of a puzzy, somebody please shoot me in the head..........

Do you own anything worth stealing? Got land? cabin?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not sure it would matter much, a thief would likely lie, but I'd have to ask anyway.

Yes, but even if you did not intend to do anything to him, THAT IS WHEN you take the time to make a lasting impression upon him.........

and leave him wondering when you and your buddies will be back.

Or just make the spot very public. GPS coordinates combined with a few pictures of "monster bucks" taken there.

Or you could puss out, let the guy run over you and your women and take your stand. That will show him and his buddies all they need to know about you.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thieves are so good at lieing that you will not get any satisfaction out of any answer. The person who got their stand will just get angry over nothing they can prove...

It will be one guy whining about a stand being stolen off land that neither person owns the land. The other guy has every right to hunt there and you are just ruining his hunt.

Whining? Maybe you, not me.

I'm not a bully. I'm not an "internet tough guy" trying to impress you or anyone else.

That said, I live by a code. John Wayne said "I'll not be wronged. I'll not be insulted. I'll not be laid a hand on, and I require the same of others." That pretty much sums it up. I'm a nice, fun loving guy. But if I feel I have been wronged, I simply will not put up with it. I may not beat somebody's ass over a treestand, but then again, I just may. That would depend upon how the conversation went and what I took out of it. If I really did feel they stole from me, I guarantee you they would have serious reservations about ever doing so again......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

Whining? Maybe you, not me.

I'm not a bully. I'm not an "internet tough guy" trying to impress you or anyone else.

That said, I live by a code. John Wayne said "I'll not be wronged. I'll not be insulted. I'll not be laid a hand on, and I require the same of others." That pretty much sums it up. I'm a nice, fun loving guy. But if I feel I have been wronged, I simply will not put up with it. I may not beat somebody's ass over a treestand, but then again, I just may. That would depend upon how the conversation went and what I took out of it. If I really did feel they stole from me, I guarantee you they would have serious reservations about ever doing so again......

What if the guy is real twitchy like Chai Vang going going flash back on the land owner that asked him to leave?

I use a different method when I find stands set up too close to my cabin (and other lake cabin owners)... I check for any new stands set up just before deer season and I take them down and leave a copy of the state hunting rules in a ziploc bag opened to the page that says they cannot hunt within 500 foot of an occupied structure without the land owners permission on top of it.
No one set up a stand after that.

Yea... I could drive up there during deer season and confront the guy that he is shooting in the middle of 5 houses or cabins and then get in a pissing contest and drag the sheriff and game warden into the fray. Its not worth my time away from hunting or time with my guests. Game wardens and sheriffs get real tired of squabbling owners...

Read some of these posts and google a little deeper to understand why its not worth the confrontation. The tv article is about a guy who shot a cabin after the two landowners resolved the issue.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_20156244/minnesota-hunter-who-pulled-down-deer-stand-convicted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHXNuyKXmBM

I lease out some of my hunting land to people that get frustrated with public land hunting and reading these kind of posts make it easier to sell the lease. Having said that, the first time I have a issue with a lease and a land owner neighbor - NO ONE IS HUNTING MY LAND BUT ME. Getting the taxes paid for by someone else isn't worth the hassle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
taking a big dump on the seat sounds like the best idea so far.
make sure to smear it in, so it is not easily removed.
either that or remove the bottom section of the ladder,and bend it around the tree.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a stand issue one time on a spot we hunted up by Backus. It was county owned land, so everyone had access to it. We had found a dilapidated old stand that was all busted up. Looked like a good spot so we put a new stand there. Took deer out of there two years in a row. We'd bumped into one of the locals who was pizzed that we were hunting in there. Gave us some crap about where we had parked-claimed it was a private road and we had no right to be there. Not wanting to start a pizzing match, we came in on another road he apparently wasn't aware of. No big deal, as it was about the same walk in to where we were hunting anyways. We go out to check the stand the morning before the season opened, and low and behold it was gone. This was a sturdy permanent stand. Every board, every nail, they even cut the trees down. Of course, 10 yards over sits a brandy new stand built with sheetrock screws and new wood. We bumped into the local on the way out of of the woods, and once again he chewed into us for supposedly parking on private property. Wasn't even our cars, as we were parked a quarter mile away on most definitely a public road. Of course the conversation came back to the tree stand. He informed us that "the DNR had cut that stand down". Yeah right. Deer season's too shorty for pizzing matches, so we just let it go. We came back that evening right at dark, made sure he wasn't around and did a little "work" around his stand. You'd be surprised how much of a mess you can make out of someone's hunting spot with a couple bottles of cheap perfume, and two dozen of those scented auto air freshener thingies. We know how he walked into the stand, and hung them all on the back sides of the tree in a semi-circle around his stand. Funny-we never heard a shot from that stand all week. Did I mention my buddy found his wheeler and took a big ol' nasty dump right on his seat? Hey when a man's gotta go...........

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
GG - that's kind of radical.

My home county is actively tearing the "cabins" on stilts because of all these situations.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by forpest
While checking stands yesterday we discovered one of our double ladder stands was missing.

What would you do?

I ALWAYS hang a very inconspicuous game camera to survey my blind for such occasions.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getting in an azzhole contest with someone when you're trying to have fun, isn't a way to have fun..

That being said, leaving some of your sweaty undershirts around the area will give him some quiet time in his stand.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
be in that stand very early opening morning.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hang another stand in it's place and hide a trail camera or 2 nearby with clear views of the stand. Chances are he will steal this stand as well and when he does you will have photographic proof. Simply call the DNR or State police, Theft charges are filed and your problem is solved.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chickenshit tactics/sabotage do nothing but prolong things IMO. Then he'll just seek out your stand and f**k with it yet again. Or, maybe he isn't the one who stole your stand and now you have screwed with an innocent person.

That is why I say a man to man, face to face, talk is in order. Chances are you will have a better impression of what happened, and what may happen in the future. Problem may even get resolved right on the spot.

JMO....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by forpest
While checking stands yesterday we discovered one of our double ladder stands was missing. 30 yard away was a new single stand. . Our party has hunted this stand for 8 years. last year some bozo confronted one of the fellow's wives (cant figger where the apostrophe goes (one of the fellows who has ONLY one wife - it was her!) and ranted about how we had taken over his spot. She called her husband who was 10 min away, but as you would expect the SOB left before he got there.

There is plenty of room for everyone, but this guy wants THAT spot come hell or high water. We really don't care, but the loss of a stand sucks. A little communication and respect would have allowed for peaceful coexistence.

Options -1. repossess the single stand and offer to trade - Bozo will deny he took it.
2. Do option 1 next yr w/o option to trade
3. Show up with 3 guys and dogs opening am and hunt grouse around his stand
4. we already rerouted his flagging to go off into a swamp
5. If he comes in by boat - anchor his boat in 6ft of water (a cold swim!)
6. Dump a 25# bag of corn, take pics and gps coordinates and report to CO for baiting - he wont be able _ legally - to hunt the stand.

What would you do?

I'd celebrate another election win for Al Franken. I'm assuming you're a democrat with chickensheit plans to get back at someone.

You sure you ain't a chick?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by buckthumper
Hang another stand in it's place and hide a trail camera or 2 nearby with clear views of the stand. Chances are he will steal this stand as well and when he does you will have photographic proof. Simply call the DNR or State police, Theft charges are filed and your problem is solved.

Face pic's are good, but you really need license plates for the sherif to find the people and do anything. They use that to break down the people's story.

This is advice from the sheriff after processing a farm break in when scrap iron theives hit. Put your name on your stands so they can bust them when they investigate.

Oh.. When I go to look for stands set up around my property or to check if my neighbors are baiting again... I where my turkey camo and face masks and walk in from the non-obvious direction because I assume there are cameras...

We found where someone tried to start a pot farm on our hunting land while checking so beware...

Last edited by humdinger; 11/07/14.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Chickenshit tactics/sabotage do nothing but prolong things IMO. Then he'll just seek out your stand and f**k with it yet again. Or, maybe he isn't the one who stole your stand and now you have screwed with an innocent person.

That is why I say a man to man, face to face, talk is in order. Chances are you will have a better impression of what happened, and what may happen in the future. Problem may even get resolved right on the spot.

JMO....

Have you gone back and re-read the origional post? Their crew had a hunter on the stand when the new person came in claiming their "spot" had been taken.
This new person had no qualms about removing stands after a confrontation with one member already so do you really think another confrontation will result in him peacfully leaving? Its most likely going to be fists or gunfire and the sheriff will be standing saying no one owns anything on public property!

Low chance of resolution here no matter how much a of a John Wayne wannabe you are.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't said member a woman?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

JMO....

Have you gone back and re-read the origional post? Their crew had a hunter on the stand when the new person came in claiming their "spot" had been taken.
This new person had no qualms about removing stands after a confrontation with one member already so do you really think another confrontation will result in him peacfully leaving? Its most likely going to be fists or gunfire and the sheriff will be standing saying no one owns anything on public property!

Low chance of resolution here no matter how much a of a John Wayne wannabe you are.

Sorry, I missed the part in the OP's post where they witnessed who took the stand.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

401 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,859
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.