Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
was in cabella's today in their gun room.
ruger alaskan two inch in .454casul
revolver is about as blocky as anything you can imagine.
To me, totally useless.
maybe a boat anchor.
Yep, chambered for a super-powered .45 Colt, and likely doesn't achieve much more than standard .45 Colt velocity due to a short barrel. The owner would likely do just as well with a much lighter, and more compact, 4.5" barrel Ruger Blackhawk chambered in .45 Colt, loaded up with Buffalo Bore.

You need to chrono one before repling. Jack Huntington built the first one that I am aware of and shooting factory loaded 300 grain 454's got 1400 FPS. A loaded 45 colt should still be 1100 FPS or so IMHO.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I have had, a few times, high primers jam a revolver.
And being the dummy i am, couple of weeks ago i filled a magazine of a ruger 270 hawkeye in a improper manner. Didn't think of it till i saw a deer cranked one into the chamber and it went "click" leaving me to get it to feed, which i eventually did.
I know better than that, but a stupid thing not to make sure the rifle was feeding properly.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if the SRH Alaskans are useless, but I do think they got a bit carried away. Nothing wrong with cutting down the 7 1/2" barrel, but IMHO it's best to stop at 5"

I don't know why the Toklat isn't a standard configuration SRH, nor whey they didn't offer the configuration in the 480.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like that one. I did not know they made such an animal.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was a limited run, and only in .454.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
It's been a long time since i shot a .454casul. But this thread made me go to the hodgdon loading website. It kind of reminds me of the 10mm relationship to the .41magnum. a 10mm can get to some 10mm loads, but not the top in.
.45colt can get to .454 low in, but not the top ones.
And looking at the top end loads out of a two inch barrel, You probably could start a campfire from the blast.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

30 below zero I shot a bison with hair about a foot long, with 325 grain LFN flat point hard cast that exited from 100 yards. Bull weighed about 1000 pounds, no need to run top end 454 loads and risk bullet crimp jump tieing the revolver up.

Don't sell the short barrel "short" it still has plenty of performance and will fit in my front pants pocket, at least the one that Jack Huntington built would. It wasn't long after Jack produced the first one, that Ruger started producing them.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's what the Super Redhawk Alaskan is good for - as a basis for Hamilton Bowen to work his magic.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the section titled The Real Super Redhawk:
The Real Super Redhawk

[Linked Image]

April 2006, The Real Super Redhawk � The Ruger Super Redhawk is neither the handiest nor most graceful revolver around due to the enormous receiver distinguished by the extension around the barrel and the integral scope cuts on the top strap. The Super does, however, have a couple of very real advantages over the standard Redhawk. The Super action is improved with a two-spring lock work arrangement which gives better ignition and ease of tuning. Better double-action hammer and trigger geometry gives a more even double-action cycle. Lastly, the Super receiver has a spike-style grip frame which is available factory-fitted with a couple of different rubber grips which many shooters find more bearable under heavy recoil. With no straps, a custom grip maker can make grips with improved reach, different angle relative to the bore and a host of other subtle adjustments not possible on the standard Redhawk conventional grip frame.

Efforts to produce a more conventional-looking revolver from a Super receiver have generally been stymied in the past by the unsightly integral scope-base cut in the topstrap which ordinarily would require welding to fill which adds a good deal to the time and expense of the project. This is all changed with the advent of the new Super Redhawk �Alaskan� model with its plain topstrap. We have devised the tooling and procedures to remove the original barrel and shorten/recontour the receiver snout to accommodate standard Redhawk barrels which results in a giant GP-100. Now, we have a receiver suited to virtually any modification available for the standard Redhawk. We can build in calibers from .44 Magnum to .500 Redhawk in barrels from 4 to 7 1/2 inches (5 1/2 in. length maximum in .475 and .50 cals.). The only fly in the ointment is the barrel situation. Standard Redhawk barrels are unavailable from the factory so we have to depend on an uncertain supply of take-off and scrounged parts. Accordingly, interested parties need to be on the look-out for barrels. We are also interested in purchasing extra barrels you might find and would appreciate hearing about these.

There are many possible �GP-44� variations so prices will necessarily have to be quoted for each job. As a general rule, the most basic conversion, utilizing the existing cylinder but less barrel price, will cost $795.00. Now a regular catalog item, details are found at the Ruger Double-Action section of our catalog. There are many possible �GP-44� variations so prices will have to be quoted on an individual basis.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have one in .480 Ruger. It�s surprisingly comfortable and reasonably easy to shoot.

It weighs 42.6 oz (unloaded) on the kitchen food scale - stoked with six 400 grainers it's right at 50 oz. Carried it in a simply rugged pancake while walking the dogs a few times -- pretty handy little piece.

385gr Miha HPs over H110 chrono 1,050 fps in the 2 1/2" bbl. The same load goes 1,250 fps in my 6" Freedom Arms M83. All at 65 Deg F and 5 long paces from the muzzle.

This "ugly duckling" has earned a place at my house.

FWIW,

Paul

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It would be 'more' useful with another two inches (who wouldn't?) but it's far from useless.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 75 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.