Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 78CJ
I get that for sure, I was just thinking that someone more well versed in ballistics programs and how to read the little things like height above sight line and impact could help get me close.

As mathman posted above it is more than a vertical when loads are changed. I used the same bullet but changed powder in my 300 win both loads were book max, the point of impact changed both veil clay and horizontally.
As I posted above it is anyone's guess and the likely hood of guessing correctly is very, very slim.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
So, anyone have a ballpark of where impact will be if I put one of my Speer 130's loaded over 57.5 grains H4831 in there. I am guessing that load is doing about 2800?

From my Chronograph records:

24" barrel
130gr Sierra BT
CCI 250
Winchester brass

57gr H4831

Average velocity was 2995 fps

Different rifle, 24: barrel with 60 grains and a cci 200 pushed the 130 NBT at 3076 fps.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 11/12/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
delete

Last edited by Colo_Wolf; 11/12/14.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Started my son on a 308 pushing a 125 NBT at a whopping 1800fps......every deer he pointed it at and pulled the trigger on died......ranges were limited to 100 yds and all deer (5 over three years) died within 100 yds........the interlock is a CNC bullet......it will work fine on deer at 100 yds..... hint......its more WHERE you shoot em at rather than WHAT you shoot em with..........

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hint......its more WHERE you shoot em at rather than WHAT you shoot em with.......... [/quote]

Hint....bullets matter more than headstamps.

Shot placement ain't never a bad thing however neither is bullet selection for the intended purpose. Re Hint

I'd prefer a cup and core bullet with a relatively thin jacket for low velocity impacts. Triple Hint

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 11/12/14.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
JC, since the goal is reduced recoil, here's another option for you, the Nosler 90gr bonded solid base. They are rated all the way down to a 1600 fps impact velocity, and the Proshop has them in stock as seconds.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...olid-base-with-cannelure-blem-100ct.html

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had my son shooting all summer with 22 Grains of SR 4759 in his Encore chambered in .270. The bullet he has been using is a HDY Interlock 130 grain. It just dawned on me that he may be a little under gunned. Shots will be inside of 100 yards. I called Hornady but they told me the minimum for that bullet is 2800fps for reliable expansion which I don't buy so that ended that conversation. I am thinking with this load he is doing about 1800 FPS.

Now season starts saturday and I will go back to the drawing board if need be, but just curious what thoughts are.

Ryan

Ryan,
Looks like you got a lot of opinions with a few backed by some field experience(s). I reload light loads for my wife's 30-06 so have a little experience, but not with the 270 your loading.

I'm going to fall on the side that thinks you may have expansion problems with that bullet.

Here's a couple of thoughts I can offer:
1) Shoot that load across a chrony so your not guessing what velocity its going.
2) Line up about 5 one gal milk jugs filled with water and shoot'em. Look for the hole size from one jug to the next and try to find the bullet if it stops.

Last edited by RaySendero; 11/12/14.

Ray
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bryguy
.....its more WHERE you shoot em at rather than WHAT you shoot em with..........

Most well-placed pencil holes will be lethal. 'Where' and 'when' are the questions most of us, the OP included I think, are hoping to control. Introducing a youngster to the taking of life is probably best done as humanely as possible.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RaySendero
I have had my son shooting all summer with 22 Grains of SR 4759 in his Encore chambered in .270. The bullet he has been using is a HDY Interlock 130 grain. It just dawned on me that he may be a little under gunned. Shots will be inside of 100 yards. I called Hornady but they told me the minimum for that bullet is 2800fps for reliable expansion which I don't buy so that ended that conversation. I am thinking with this load he is doing about 1800 FPS.

Now season starts saturday and I will go back to the drawing board if need be, but just curious what thoughts are.

Ryan

Ryan,
Looks like you got a lot of opinions with a few backed by some field experience(s). I reload light loads for my wife's 30-06 so have a little experience, but not with the 270 your loading.

I'm going to fall on the side that thinks you may have expansion problems with that bullet.

1) Shoot that load across a chrony so your not guessing what velocity its going.
2) Line up about 5 one gal milk jugs filled with water and shoot'em. Look for the hole size from one jug to the next and try to find the bullet if it stops.

I seriously doubt that 5 jugs will stop the bullet.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

Ryan

Ryan,

Filled with water and placed at 100 yds they will. That's around 30 inches of penetration.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Originally Posted by jwp475

Ryan

Ryan,

Filled with water and placed at 100 yds they will. That's around 30 inches of penetration.

I've shot through way more than that with a 1911 45 ACP. actually 9 jugs filled with water. Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a 130/270 bullet made it all the way through, it way it would be because it didn't expand much, if at all. At full 270 Win speed that bullet would not make it through five one gallon, water-filled jugs as it would expand a lot, and more than likely become shrapnel. Water tends to be a very hard expansion medium for high velocity, expanding projectiles. A water test may or may not tell one much about a relatively low speed impact with a bullet designed for high velocity. If it did show no or little expansion however, that would be indicative of the most you'd likely get in a soft-tissue impact on an animal.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If him and I were shooting anywhere near P.O.I. this would all be a moot point. I can pull off plenty of shooting time between now and the weekend but yesterday the bus did not show up until 15 minutes before sunset which makes it hard to get him on target within reasonable light.

I have a bench full of powders and a good supply of bullets. One thought I have is that maybe out P.O.I. differences are because of our size difference and the scope parallax. Did Leupold make rimfire 3x9x40 scopes?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am quite sure that I could bump up to full house loads without an issue, the only problem is that there will be some major impact differences and re-zero would be a must. Not normally a problem but for some reason him and I shoot P.O.A. about 4-5" different with this load meaning that I would want him to shoot the load too. Now that it gets dark an hour after school gets out that is pushing it. I am really kicking myself for not thinking of this but he is REALLY accurate with the current load and I want to be comfortable with his accuracy and would want him to shoot the new load.

Anyone know how the energy would compare with the 100 grain .243 sierra my daughter shot her doe at 100 yards with being pushed by 27 grains of IMR 4198?

Based on the bolded above, I'd stay with what you've been shooting, and go make meat.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I am quite sure that I could bump up to full house loads without an issue, the only problem is that there will be some major impact differences and re-zero would be a must. Not normally a problem but for some reason him and I shoot P.O.A. about 4-5" different with this load meaning that I would want him to shoot the load too. Now that it gets dark an hour after school gets out that is pushing it. I am really kicking myself for not thinking of this but he is REALLY accurate with the current load and I want to be comfortable with his accuracy and would want him to shoot the new load.

Anyone know how the energy would compare with the 100 grain .243 sierra my daughter shot her doe at 100 yards with being pushed by 27 grains of IMR 4198?

Based on the bolded above, I'd stay with what you've been shooting, and go make meat.

I agree, I would use the old as is at this point.
I would like to see the results of a 5 water jug test as well. I donot think you will catch the bullet, but others think you will.

78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am thinking I will limit it to 50 yards and give it a go.

My biggest concern is trying to give him the best opportunity. I kick myself for not thinking of this ahead of time and am probably overthinking things. There has just been too much going on and I thought I was ahead of the game.

I did just realize that I have an entire box of pork that needs to be disposed of in the freezer. I may just give that a round and see what happens, I realize its not really apples and apples but will be an interesting test. The box is about as thick as a whitetail and packed full of misc. pig and beef that I had for bear bait that I no longer need.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Personally I would not sweat a 100 yard shot, as long as your son places the bullet where it goes. That goes for any load as well.

78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I bumped it up to 25 Grains and even found a few minutes for him to re-zero! Should be MV about 2050ish. That should do the trick.

Ryan

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great, please let us know how it works.

Arcus Venator
78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, it worked.

For the second time ever I heard a bullet hit, and it hit hard. The deer was my sons first a 117 pound 3 point. Slight quartering away and entered just behind the diahpram and exited forward through the lungs behind the shoulder. There was no gaping exit wound but the internal damage was impressive. The blood trail was easy for a 10 yr old to follow across a field and one we could see 20ft ahead. He ran 40yrds. The shot was 110 yards.

Thanks for all the advice!

Ryan

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 153, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,708
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.