-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had big plans to hunt some yesterday at the inlaws before Thanksgiving dinner, but I was too sick to get up and out. Health issues are kicking my heinie lately. frown

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PN, hate to hear you're feeling bad, just getting over it myself. Just to help you out, I'll run over and get that nice looking double to keep it in practice. Wouldn't do that for just anybody..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had a good hunt Friday mornin. And a nice meal Friday night.

[Linked Image]

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Good for you southern boys. Went hunting Sat. Saw 3 got shots at 2, and nailed one. Unfortunately he fell in a mess of bull briars, higher than my head and I couldn't find him. frown

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
After a holiday, I'm exhausted. So I took the morning off. smile Got to the woods at 7 and was home by noon.

[Linked Image]

7-8 on shots, all but one a clean head shot. My best day in SC ever. grin

I see pot pies coming this Sunday.

(PN, I hope you're better and back at em.)

Ella

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It was another fine morning. (This weekend's pie is getting bigger.)

[Linked Image]

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
EXCELLENT boys! Got out about noon today. The sun was shining, but it was windy. Went up north of town, and hit two woods. Saw one in each, but only got a shot at one. Used the 10/22 with the fiber optic/peep sight, and nailed him at about 35 yds., right in the head! I'm a happy camper, tonight.

[Linked Image]

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Before I went blind, I had that sight set up on my .22. 35 yard headshot on a squirrel with a peep is some dead eye shootin'. Nicely done.

Ella

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ella, don't get me wrong. I've worn glasses/bi-focals for almost 30 yrs. I just get tickled when I hit with the fiber optic peep, as well as I do with a scope...... geezer and proud of it! grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 12/04/14.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I hit the woods about noon. It was partly sunny, and a little breezy. Hunted the first woods for an hr., and didn't see nada. Moved on to another place. Heard one giving me hell, almost as soon as I stepped out of the truck. Never could find him. Moved on, and saw one working through the briars. Lil bastid saw me before I could get on him, and hauled butt. Looked around and saw another one on the ground. He moved up low in a tree, and was looking right at me. Wrong move.....grin

[Linked Image]

Headed toward the truck, and caught another one out, up a big oak. Shot at him twice, and missed. I moved in closer, and he moved up the tree. Looked for him for almost 15 mins. Finally saw him way up the tree, with his head sticking out of a small nest. Took a shot, and heard it hit. then he got to running around the tree, and I went ballistic with the remaining shots in the magazine, head shooting him on the final shot. He was a big ole male, with the longest fur I'd seen on one, for a long time.

[Linked Image]

Both of them were big ole males. Look at their length next to the 10/22. May try to hit it a lick, before next weekend.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 12/07/14.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking about some squirrel stew... Need squirrels! Killed nine today...

[Linked Image]

Usually use a .22LR of some sort but I recently bought this unfired mint '68 Belgian Browning Auto Five 20 gauge. Guns are made to be used... my first two shots were a double on this pair chasing each other down a fallen tree.
[Linked Image]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it just me or are those pictures upside down?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Pics look fine. BTW very cool shotgun. cool

maddog

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Put a fox squirrel on the 452 Saturday morning...might try to get out today if I get my shed built fast enough...New(used) squirrel gun on the way this week...gonna have to test it out Sunday morning...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Fun thread to keep up with. Nice shotty and nice shooting.

Here's where my last bags went.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The second I set it on the table, the piranhas surged. Had to snap a quick pic while there was something left to show. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here it is nearly lunch time and there are pictures of delicious looking food! argh! cry
I didn't get out much last week, only killed one little squirrel Monday. I have ups and downs with some mean health issues and last week was definitely a downer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks mad dog and Ella. My dad used an Auto Five and I thought that gun was magical. This sorta keeps me connected with dad, loving the little A5.

Phillip,
Sorry to hear of your health issues. Hoping for the best for you...

Ella,
That looks great! What is your recipe?

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ya know what boys, this thread, over the last three yrs., has been awesome. I've hunted deer, hogs, bear all over the US. Been fortunate to do two African safaris, with my son. My bucket list is full. If I get 1-2 deer a year for the freezer, some bluegills in the spring, and can go chase limb chickens, all fall, life is good. At 63 yo., and change, it's all I need. grin

You boys keep posting pics of limb chickens, and FOOD!! It's all good! grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 12/08/14.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
smile

PN, hope this week finds you better and able to hit the woods.

MOGC, I based it on a link Fieldgrade posted in the cooking area. But we didn't have any carrots in the house, and I added sherry and mushrooms. You just make a stew and put in a pie. Kinda bunch of fiddling around, but limb chicken pie is my new favorite. (I wonder if some thickened Mad Dog stew between a couple crusts would work.)

maddog, bluegill and squirrel hunting is just like being a kid. No pressure, but lots of upside. Good thread you started.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bluegills in the spring?????

Tell me more..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,811
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.