E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
If ONLY they had used a 7x57 Featherweight.... cry

Duh......

My brother killed tons of big bulls with a a 270. Next time he says something about them I know what to tell him. Three letters will suffice. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Tough break there Travis.. Probably happened to all of us.. But as someone mentioned, taking Shrapnel's .300 would not be a bad
idea.. As pointed out it is a trained elk killer.. Every little bit helps.. Good luck..

Molon Labe
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Thank God an out of control Subaru didn't take Flave out while he was glassing!

Ha, ha, ha. TFF right there, Sam.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
We've all done something like that, sometime or other. Haven't we?

Hopefully Shrapnel can save the day.

Uh, for real? Oh, I get it. You're trying to make him feel better. Ok.

Last edited by eyeball; 11/16/14.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I knew short headspace was somehow involved, but didn't realize it wasn't inside the rifle but instead someone's head.

LMAO!

There's nothing funny about cyber-bullying.

Travis

We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you.

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, there are probably other guys who would need more than two days to tag a cow in Shrap's private elk park, but I doubt it.

My bet is the young Flave would have put the right load in the rig and put meat on the table, since he is too young to load the gun while being loaded.

Last edited by eyeball; 11/16/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

BackPack, or horse hunt? LOL!

I swear I can see a Wal-mart sign in the background...

Similar to Wisco, but we call them livestock...

Will there be a revenge tour?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Ok, so long story as short as possible:

First off, shrap has the art of one day/weekend hunting down to a science. We went to the spot well before sunup and started glassing as soon as we could. Spotted elk and checked wind. Shrap dumped mini-'flave and I off and then he went back to town to get the breakfast he wouldn't let us have before heading out.

Mini and myself headed up to the top where the elk were spotted. I'd say it was 1K' up. Wind in our face and moving west toward the elk we were more than a little confident the whole time. We check location of the herd by cresting the ridge on occasion and getting within line of sight. Then we'd creep back toward the edge of the timber and continue our creeping.

Got within 200yds and low crawled up to a shooting position. Everything with headgear moved away but the cows were in a huge ball of couldn't shoot. Chambered a round and waited a bit as I figured there would be a loner some time soon and I'd smoke it. Opportunity was aaaaalmost there, but the last straggler had another cow moving behind her so I held off. No big deal, they dropped down into a draw with a bunch of timber but the opposite side was clear and I figured they'd reappear. Ranged it quick and it was 300yds to the other side. Well within range of my incredible deadliness.

As luck would have it, I didn't have to wait. There was a cow bedded on the other side. I'd have to thread the needle through a clearing in the timber but she was only 200yds out. The luck o 'flave rang again. As luck would further have it, I was able to stand and use a tree as a support. This elk hunting schit was gettin' easier by the second and I laughed as I thought about all the fugging morons in this world that think it's difficult. Further proving that God loves me, the cow stood up, and gave me a perfect broadside. I let the breath out, smiled and squeezed the trigger. "Click."

"Fugg..." as I rack the bolt and am rewarded with a jam. 'WTF?' I look in the chamber and sure as schit there is a round in there. 'Why will it not fire? Why will it not extract?' 'Fugg it... who cares...try it again.' I close the bolt and hold just behind the shoulder of the still there stupid ass cow. "Click."

I drop down to a knee and move back. 'WTF could be causing this?' I look around for a stick long enough to run down the barrel and then a thought enters my mind. 'It won't extract and it won't fire because it's a 22-250 case!' I angle the gun so I can see the headstamp in the sunlight and sure as Gruff is gay, I see "250 Win" light up in the chamber of my 7-08. "FUGGG!!!!"

I don't despair because I have a long history of luck outweighing my habitual habits of being a slob and procrastinator. I dump the mag and grab the Leatherman and start tapping against the stock. Mean time I am glancing at the opening where I saw the cow. She's gone, but since Christ still loves 'flave there are about 6 cows standing on the clearing I'd originally hoped they show up on. As I repeatedly whisper "C*nt, fugg, Wish I bought a Sako..." etc. I look back at the cows and as I do I hear "tink." I look in the snow and there is a 22-250 cartridge laying in the snow. "HAHAAHA! Fugg yeah!" I whisper.

Down and back to a ridge so I can take the shot. Just as I low crawl to the rocks I was going to shoot over, the last cow disappears into the timber. I know my luck never runs out, so I wait. Sure as schit... three more elk. All bulls.

So on that note, I dropped a few more expletives, and walked back to my son who was observing the whole time. He never looked so proud to know I'm probably not his real dad. Then, we got the fugg out of there.

The End.

Travis

I'll pray for you tonight.

Side-note, figured you'd have a collapsable rod in your pack by now. wink grin

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Side-note, figured you'd have a collapsable rod

True enough, since every thing else apparently collapsed.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I was very kind to Travis and didn't pile on, when I could have. I had these elk spotted for over a week and kept an eye on them during that time. It is true, I went for breakfast at Val's Diner in Wilsall while Travis and Mini-flave were hiking, but there was no need for me to hike with 2 elk already under my belt this fall, and recovering from a severe leg injury.

I strongly urged Travis to take the 300 and Mini could pack the lighter and much inferior rifle, if you can call it that. You can't talk sense to someone who insists on fast twist and plastic. He opted for the GFY and 2 different cartridges, confident one would work.

I am watching all of this through a spotting scope and can see Travis and elk, both in the spotter. Watching the sneak, I was expecting a shot at any time and was hoping to see the elk drop in the scope. Neither happened and we broke radio silence. There were still at least 100 head of elk moving slowly East but Travis was used up. He said he was coming off the mountain with something of a gun malfunction.

I never said "I told you so" but I had a strong feeling that I should. Travis is something of a sensitive guy and after all the drama, I again exercised prudence and stayed calm and polite. Besides, we had tomorrow to do it again, and Val's is open for breakfast at 7:00.

Travis decided elk hunting was easier than he thought and didn't consider all the work I had put into this to make it happen for him. He told me that he was fine with a quick trip over on "Bob's place" in the morning and by then, he would be having Megan/Pepper withdrawals and opted for an early departure.

That was soon forgotten though, when we got to the motel and she wasn't there. I left him standing in the entryway of the Motel in 7 degree weather steaming at being left by his 2 girls. At least he wasn't cold...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Kenneth

[Linked Image]

HAHAAAHAHAA HAAAAA!! Whew. Thanks for that!

Travis, sorry to hear that you didn't get to mosey up a hill and pop an elk broadside at 200 with a tree to shoot from. I don't know what you would have called that, but I wouldn't have called it elk hunting. Now, pissing away that shot and watching the elk disappear with nary a shot fired, that sounds closer to elk hunting. I hope you were able to share some fun with your son though, and not teach him too many 'new' words.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Emotional scarring? Oh hell yeah! This was a disaster of epic proportions!!!!
I will say Dave I have been there, and done that, so I can sympathize with you.

Well, not really. I can't even imagine choking this bad. It's embarrassing frankly, and in front of the boy no less. What will his friends say now? "Oh look, CHOKER JR!!!"

And for the record, fireforming brass doesn't work like that. What a rookie trick.

Sorry Dave, I'm feelin your pain. Choker.

LOL
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

There were still at least 100 head of elk moving slowly East but Travis was used up. He said he was coming off the mountain with something of a gun malfunction.

They were moving west..

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I hope you were able to share some fun with your son though, and not teach him too many 'new' words.

We had a good time.

But I can tell you this. We were done for the day... grin

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Side-note, figured you'd have a collapsable rod in your pack by now. wink grin

Words hurt.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Sorry Dave, I'm feelin your pain. Choker.

I finally know what it feels like to be from Oregon.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eyeball and fireball.. team crackup.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
One of the greatest stories ever told on the fire........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So does this make SAVAGE 99 right. If it had been a controlled round feed this would not of happened. Dumb Don knows what he is talking about. grin

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth

All this criticism and still no one could see Travis is standing In front of a huge herd of elk and still can't see them. Try as I may to show them to him he was still looking off to the right of where they are all bunched up...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 54 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,816
Posts18,496,463
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.