-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a pre-64 model 94 with open sights and a 1957 Marlin 336 with a vintage 4X scope. I find myself grabbing the Marlin more often than the 94. I love the classic look of the 94 but the 336 is simply an easy and accurate shooting lever.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've threatened to buy one of these in the past...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453509646

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r
get a nice old 50's marlin 336 SC. get one in 35 and 32 while you're at it.

Sounds like me, I am using a 1961 model 336 now in .32 WS....

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I worked for an Indian Reservation for about 10 years. Some of those guys, one in particular with a reputation as one of their best hunters, shot the heck out of all kinds of game with the old 30/30, including plenty of moose and certainly whitetail deer, along with the occasional black bear.

I started deer hunting up there in 1989, having hunted bow and shotgun zones previously, and borrowed one of the venerated 336s from one of the indians. I shot a deer with it opening morning and liked it so much I bought one for myself and killed half a dozen deer with it, including some dandy bucks, before perceiving my reduced accuracy with open sights out past 100 yards, which doesn't come up too often in the woods, but missing a nice buck out in a clear cut from the other side of beaver pond got me into my current deer hunting weapon.

This past year after shooting my buck with the 06 out of a stand, I carried the 336 for my scouting and still hunting in off and on snow showers. I still really like for that type of thing.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Every time I think I've got a good bead on things you guys give me something new to think about - thanks!

I need to reread the thread and do more think, then get a few of these in my hands and see which way I want to go.

Lots of valuable experience out there.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
A .303 Savage in a 99 would be cool. I know where there is one, but it will never be for sale. It belonged to a friend of mine who died of early onset Alzheimers. His sons will never part with it.

I have one, a takedown, also have the .410 barrel for it. I've killed deer, caribou and spruce grouse with it. It'll never be for sale either.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
A .303 Savage in a 99 would be cool. I know where there is one, but it will never be for sale. It belonged to a friend of mine who died of early onset Alzheimers. His sons will never part with it.

I have one, a takedown, also have the .410 barrel for it. I've killed deer, caribou and spruce grouse with it. It'll never be for sale either.

ya I,ve only got bout 1030-0s and 14-15 303 Savages not enough yet grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I'll also say that every 94 or 336 I ever shot was a really good shooter. I've got a post 64 Ted Williams that is the ugliest gun ever made and has all the stamped lifters and roll pins that the purists hate. But that ugly thing will shoot 2 inches all day everyday with a Williams receiver sight.
The post-64's were good rifles, just ugly. The stamped shell riser was actually an improvement to the design, but people hated it because it looked cheap (and it did). But shell risers often break on Winchester 94's, I've replaced more than a couple. But I've never replaced a broken stamped shell riser because the stamped design was lighter and stronger...but it did look cheap.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I'll also say that every 94 or 336 I ever shot was a really good shooter. I've got a post 64 Ted Williams that is the ugliest gun ever made and has all the stamped lifters and roll pins that the purists hate. But that ugly thing will shoot 2 inches all day everyday with a Williams receiver sight.
The post-64's were good rifles, just ugly. The stamped shell riser was actually an improvement to the design, but people hated it because it looked cheap (and it did). But shell risers often break on Winchester 94's, I've replaced more than a couple. But I've never replaced a broken stamped shell riser because the stamped design was lighter and stronger...but it did look cheap.

I put a Butler Creek synthetic stock set on that rifle, and I would be surprised if it weighs much more than five pounds. I spray painted it black and it is pure ugly. But it carries like you don't even know it is there and out to 150 yards, it is money.

Once off of prone rest, I shot a group at 300 yards that I'm not even going to bother telling anyone about because they wouldn't believe me. But, with a rest and time to line them up finely and correctly, most people would be amazed and what can be done with open sights.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Older Model Winchester 94

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Not a bucket list item, but I'm wanting to try a 30-30 one of these days. Hell I've never even shot one..

So which one and why - I'm not worried about doing it cheap as much as buying one I won't hate because its low quality.

So Marlin / Remy ?

Any specific model ?

Thanks,
Spot

I don't think I've ever met a gun owner that hasn't shot a 30/30...growing up I knew a lot of people who only had one gun and a shot gun....

The gun was usually a 30/30 and bought at either Western Auto or Sears...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MColeman
The allure of the 30-30 is contained in the Model 94 and the Marlin, not the cartridge itself. If you get away from those two rifles, there is little to nothing to recommend the 30-30 over any other cartridge.

Many years ago I looked down my nose at the 30-30. In fact, I considered the maximum load in the manual as a good starting point. Now, I've come full circle and embrace the old cartridges with cast bullets. I am convinced that you can take a .358 Winchester with cast bullets and take any animal on the continent. I will admit, however, if I were in big bear country I'd want a .45-70 with cast bullets.

Micky funny you should mention the 45-70. Years ago I was Elk hunting out near Forks, WA. I met an old boy hunting Elk with an old '94 Winchester chambered in 45-70. He said it was the perfect Elk gun. He could shoot an Elk with it in either season or out of season and the game warden wouldn't even come out and check him as he would think it was some logger out there blowing stumps.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put a Butler Creek synthetic stock set on that rifle, and I would be surprised if it weighs much more than five pounds. I spray painted it black and it is pure ugly. But it carries like you don't even know it is there and out to 150 yards, it is money.

Once off of prone rest, I shot a group at 300 yards that I'm not even going to bother telling anyone about because they wouldn't believe me. But, with a rest and time to line them up finely and correctly, most people would be amazed and what can be done with open sights.

I sold my �ugly gun� which was a 1971 Winchester 94 with a Williams FP rear sight and a brass bead front sight. The gun was nothing to look at, but like you said, anything inside 150 yards was dead meat. With my �nice� �94 I turned in a 3 shot group at 225 yards shooting with the factory iron sights from a prone position, group measured .90 inch�I just couldn�t believe it. So I shot it again, 1.25 inch; hell, maybe it wasn�t a fluke�for the rifle that is, I don�t know that my eyes are still that good (that was 10 years ago). But I don�t doubt the accuracy of a Winchester 94. They�re very accurate for 3-5 rounds, and then things start to open up and string, but high volume isn�t what it was intended for.

Nothing carries like a 94, and it�s my favorite rifle to hunt with just because they carry so well, shoulder so naturally, and shoot so well.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had one that would do stuff like that too, but it was post 64 with the rattling trigger and a 4x scope. A Dimocrap lifted it from my truck in my drive one Sat night.

Now I have a proper pre-64.

If I need a heavier, more accurate, longer range gun I have them. I use them more than the 94, living in west Texas, but nothing can beat it for easing through East Texas river bottoms full of palmetto and oin oaks or the surrounding pine, white oak, red oak ridges.

It's easy to hold in one hand down by my right thigh and parallel to the ground with the muzzle forward for long periods of time. Easing along and not having to move the gun a lot going through undergrowth and held low reduces movement that alert deer.

Last edited by eyeball; 11/19/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I guess I have to buy a damn lever gun now.....

So - 30-30, 35 Rem, or a 99 or BLR in 308 or 7-08 (BLR only)????

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
I guess I have to buy a damn lever gun now.....

So - 30-30, 35 Rem, or a 99 or BLR in 308 or 7-08 (BLR only)????

I have a 99 and I've had a BLR. They are fine rifles, but to me they are just that, rifles. When I want a lever gun, it is a Winchester 94 or a Marlin with a heavy preference for the Winchester.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why a lever? My Savage .30-30 over 12 gauge puts a 125 grain Nosler BT and a Brenneke rifled slug within 2 inches of one another at 75 yards. The 125 gr Nosler BT is a wonderful deer bullet if you can shoot. I also use a 165 gr Sierra BTHP on occasion - both take down deer as quickly as my .308 or .30-06 at similar ranges. Of course the Savage is a single shot rifle - that - so far - has not been a problem!

Terry

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would choose, in the following order

1) savage 99
2) marlin 36 or early 336

3) Winchester 94 ( distant third )

Ready, Fire, Aim
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a Winchester 94 "XTR" in 30-30 years ago a friend traded me a Lew Chidre graphite fishing rod for the gun...I kid you not. The rifle would shoots the lights light with Winchester 748 powder and a 150 gr bullet. I felt the rifle wasn't classy enough and traded it off for God knows what.

Fast forward and got bit by the Marlin Bug and have 5 now. Being a lefty the Marlins just works....loading gate is in the right place.

A 30-30 should be in every one's "Bug out" kit....plenty of ammo supply every where and will handle anything the 30-30 has been used for since 1894.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 11/19/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
I had a Winchester 94 "XTR" in 30-30 years ago a friend traded me a Lew Chidre graphite fishing rod for the gun...I kid you not. The rifle would shoots the lights light with Winchester
748 powder and a 1550 gr bullet. I felt the rifle wasn't classy enough and traded it off for God knows what.

Fast forward and got bit by the Marlin Bug and have 5 now. Being a lefty the Marlins just works....loading gate is in the right place.

A 30-30 should be in every one's "Bug out" kit....plenty of ammo supply every where and will handle anything the 30-30 has been used for since 1894.

Doc
If the S ever really hits the F you'll be surprised how fast the thutty thutty ammo dries up.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 7 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,218
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.