Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thought this would be a fun exercise for the diehard deer guys here.
And perhaps I can gain some insight from fellow members and we can compare notes after the hunt in December.

I am humbled at the unique opportunity to hunt a jaw-dropping-property in Kansas this year. I've not stepped foot on it but I've about broken Google Earth in the past few months doing recon work. The ranch owner (super guy) has a newfound hobby in drone videography so we have some interesting recent video stills at our fingertips here. blush

I will not be giving GE coordinates. laugh

Aerial photo:
(Blue is the river)
[Linked Image]

Facing SE:
[Linked Image]

Facing West (about the middle of property)
[Linked Image]

So how would you approach it?
Scouting, possible stand placement (if you had to go in cold)?
Prevailing wind in central KS is generally south. But, it IS Kansas, so it could be from every direction in a given day. grin

This is for post-rut whitetails with the rifle and the quest is a mature animal.

What say you? (you should be able to "quote" the post to see larger images)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a beautiful piece of land.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Straight south from the house in picture 3 across the river. Hope it's shallow or a boat is handy. There is a point of the woods that sticks out, looks like an ideal spot for a stand. You would have good visual of the large field and the small lane/field coming into the larger one.
Straight East of that point on the opposite end looks like a second spot. I like anywhere woods water and fields are close together.
Not knowing what is planted in the fields makes it a little bit of a challenge but those spots look good.
Almost like a virtual hunting trip.

How about an address, we could all send postcards....LOL

Last edited by RED53; 11/20/14.
SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
RED,
Good thinking there - I like the merging of edges myself.
North side of the river looks like winter wheat. If there's a south wind, I'm hoping there is a spot that I can shoot across the river to the south into some of the heavier timber.

I think getting into any of the areas along the river (in the morning) without bumping deer will be a challenge so I likely won't be getting tight to anything the first couple days - morning or evening.

WWP53D
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
VEEERY slowly and into the wind. Muddy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM me. I'll be happy to come help you out grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like inside corners of fields. The one in the Facing SE picture at the end of the field, where fenceline/ditch/whatever meets the timber along the river would be worth a look.

In the first picture, there are two larger greenfields on the western side of the property, south of the river. Where they narrow might be a good funnel. Looks like an old oxbow forms the timber on the north of the funnel and the prairie to the south would probably provide some bedding cover.

If you get a good south wind, still hunting + calling up the coulees on the south end of the property (ones with the stock dams) might be worth a try midday.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
whitetails or mule deer?

“Lighten up Francis”
SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer

If you get a good south wind, still hunting + calling up the coulees on the south end of the property (ones with the stock dams) might be worth a try midday.

Love it. A north wind would be a great morning spot at the very south end of the property too. If I were to accidentally bump anything in the cracks, they'd likely go into the property and wind and not put them on the neighbors.

The ranch gets very little hunting pressure but I'd still expect to find an older deer there - away from the other deer.

It's not uncommon to have a hot doe that time of year - seems to be a logical choice for a big buck to separate her from her normal routine and away from the other pestering bucks.

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With a wind out of the South, I would start just on the South side of the river, hugging it closely, right behind the home place, and about where the litle island is in the picture. Sit where you can see into what appears to be a CRP area and that inside bend in the wood line. You will be most likely looking at bedding area, so be careful of the wind.

Start with lots of glassing before you start walking in further. I would bet money that you will see deer the first time you sit that spot. What you observe from there will tell you where to go next. Depending on what is planted, and if any of the trees are dropping mast, you will develop a pattern. My experience is that deer will walk through a corn field to get to a bean field. They will walk through any food plot or field to get to acorns.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rifle, muzzleloader or archery?

makes a BIG difference, at least to me.

also how many days do you have to hunt? might make a difference on how aggressively you want to hit it.

beautiful property! wowsers would I love to have something like that one day! you're a lucky man!

I would start with edges and WW fields and go from there, start shy and then after a day or two of watching the deer, make your move to them. they should be easier to pattern post rut.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I know I'd be sniffing hard by those points and funnels between the rive and that set-aside grass.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Any topography at all?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looking at the aerial, the S and SW draws have some topography. I would glass that whole portion of property if possible, and if not use wind and still hunt/glass each draw. Water near and banged up bucks can hide in bottoms, travel, and shelter from a S wind.

Plus, if you can find the N edge of those slopes nearest river, you can glass entire wooded edge adjacent to river and all grassy areas. Cover more ground this way with less disturbance.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt country like that in eastern CO. The deer seem to bed, for whatever reason, around a mile plus from those winter wheat fields. Typically in canyons, yuccas or deep weed patches. I'd watch the wind and try to setup where I could see several of those types of areas. Be ready to twist turrets. I do see late rut action in Dec a lot.

Or plan B, bring a 742 woodmaster, 3 mags of ammo, and an atv and go raise some hell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd bring me.

Tanner

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If going in blind, I would hunt where I placed the red dot the first morn. I'd then burn leather looking for sign, you'll find it. If I didn't find promising sign the first day, I'd go back to the red dot for that eve and repeat the 2nd morn. You'll find sign if you look enough. Funnels are usually easy to find in that type of country. Not the type of place I'd only want a few days on as it will take you that long at least to zone in.
[Linked Image]

SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 30338
I hunt country like that in eastern CO. The deer seem to bed, for whatever reason, around a mile plus from those winter wheat fields. Typically in canyons, yuccas or deep weed patches. I'd watch the wind and try to setup where I could see several of those types of areas. Be ready to twist turrets. I do see late rut action in Dec a lot.

Or plan B, bring a 742 woodmaster, 3 mags of ammo, and an atv and go raise some hell.

Plan B made me LOL. grin
Appreciate the feedback from your experiences. Hunting those little canyons and draws is a rarity to this flatlander.

Lots of good stuff guys, keep it coming.

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is counter intuitive to this midwestern son too. But you will find them in those canyons many many times. Be anxious to hear how you do.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
First of all SKane, YOU SUCKETH!!!!!!

Second of all, I'd go about it the way I hunt most everything/everywhere else, keeping in mind I'm not much of a stand hunter which admittedly may be a hindrance in that country....

1. Find the tallest hill nearest the food, or in between known bedding and food
2. Glass your cahones' off with a good pair of bins and a great spotter
3. Plot your attack

Good Luck my friend!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.