Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Hey Big Dave,

These fit really well on a Kindle, but you probably shouldn't take them hunting as you'll miss seeing all the deer.

http://ow.ly/tH2jT

Thanks I may check them out. Anything like William johnstones westerns?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Paper back book when hunting but only on occasion.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've read five books on my Kindle this season. Read a page, scan the area, read a page, scan the area,...

Will admit to looking up and thinking, where the heck did he come from.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
[Linked Image]

Saw a stand like this one in Texas except that it was the cab from a late 40s/early 50s truck and wasn't quite as tall.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a Kindle user, but I've been using a Samsung tablet for 3 seasons. I love it.

1) It is smaller and thinner than Farmer's Almanac, and fits in my jacket pocket. It is also MUCH lighter than a lot of the books I've taken out to the blind or stand.
2) I have Internet connectivity, so I have access to weather updates.
3) After buying a book off BN, the first season, I have been using Gutenberg.org and reading for free. Mostly I like to read military history when I'm out. G'berg has a bunch of good stuff.
4) I figured out years ago that reading was a benefit to hunting from a stand or blind. It keeps me absolutely still and quiet, but I can still listen. The way I have my reader set up, I look up and scan every page.

It is fairly common for me to have doe feeding under my stand or hen turkeys pecking away nearby.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I also use a Samsung tablet, and can use it with a kindle app and to view my trail cam pics as I use micro sd cards in the cams with adapters and pop them into the tablet. Only problem I am having these days is after I look up from reading a page it takes longer for my eyes to adjust from the close up reading to looking for deer. Things are a little fuzzy for a few seconds...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear that about the eyes not being what they were. If you use a low-power bino, the problem seems to go away-- at least for me. I keep a pair around my neck.

The trick with these things is not to go too overboard with it. If you don't watch yourself and set limits, you find yourself absorbed in the virtual goo and you stop hunting. My son, Angus, has the same device, and had that problem. He's 16, and hunting on his own this year. Once I pointed out the problem a year or so ago, he seemed to get with the program pretty quickly.

Some other hints:

1) I can use mine as a GPS, Compass and map, but I would never let me life depend on any of them. As required, I carry backups.
2) I also would not let SKYPE or Hey-Tell be a replacement for my cellphone, or my walkie-talkie. If I get in an emergency, I do not want to depend on a tablet.
3) I found a small pocket-sized device that provides a recharge to my tablet, and other USB enabled devices. It will charge my tablet, my phone, my wi-fi dongle, etc several times over. I keep that out in one of my blinds, and carry it into camp every few days as needed. It extends my use of the tablet by many hours.
4) I bought a retracting key ring and hooked it to my tablet and then to my coat. That way, if I drop the tablet, it is not falling to the ground from 15 feet up.
5) Kentucky now lets you do telecheck from a website. From now on, I'm checking my deer and turkey in the field using the tablet.
6) Adjust the brightness and turn on the nightlight (white text on black) when you're reading before legal hunting. That screen will illuminate you in the blind and you're a dead giveaway.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took mine elk hunting and read "Killing Lincoln". Good read. I probably only read a couple hours total per day. I'd read a page and then scan and scope, rinse, repeat...

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am surprised by the responses here, I can't see myself being so bored while hunting that I need a tablet to keep myself interested. I seem to enjoy the outdoors, even when there is no action there is always something to listen to, or watch out there.

Very surprising so many pack their gadgets with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I wanted to read, I'd stay at home

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take my tablet, or my phone, both have the Kindle app on them. I enjoy reading after dark while back in camp.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You guys make stand hunting sound so exciting I might just have to but a tree stand. Hiking around is hard on the legs anyhow grin .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I take a paperback sometimes in my backpack. I usually only read it when I get in the stand really early in the afternoon or hunt really late into the morning, and then it is usually just early/late season hunts. I put it down if it is anywhere near "prime time". Same goes for coffee/snacks. I missed looking at a big-bodied deer last weekend because I was texting my dad, asking when he was headed to his stand. Looked up and a blocky deer is already halfway in the brush. This time of year a guy has to keep a keen eye. Our bucks don't show themselves for long when they area roaming for does. November usually has me hunting with my rifle in my hands the whole time.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know that some hunters read (books, magazines, Kindle, etc.) while on a stand and a whole bunch of hunters fool with their smart phones (weather, texts, e-mails). This is absolutely not for me. I like to be alone with my thoughts. I want to see and hear everything that is going on in the woods. I want to be ready for that quick opportunity. I DO NOT want any electronic rings, pings, buzzes or clicks.

RS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I ain't buying it...

The last thing I want when I go hunting is anything electronic around me.

+1

I agree. Part of hunting is getting away from computers, smart phones, that new Apple watch thing ... etc.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sometimes.....since my thyroid started taking a chit that if i plan on sitting somewhere for very long i bring a paperback to read or read a book off my phone otherwise i tend to nod off even if i dont want to if i dont have something to concentrate on....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I take one but leave it in camp for a little reading before I doze off. I may take a paperback to a stand.

I read three novels one time while waiting in SEATAC on delayed flights, sure was nice to just buy a new one without getting up and losing my seat (they were few and far between).

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I don't care to read in stand and would not carry a kindle anyways under any circumstance. I do carry a small note pad and will jot hunting related maps and information down from time to time. I don't own a so called "smart" phone either. There is no accessible computer network or cell coverage where I hunt and I don't ever want there to be. I am 50 and didn't grow up with any of it, and don't care for current technology trends at all. It is a devolution, more akin to the telegraph than an advancement.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
To here y'all old farts tell it I asked who carries a desktop computer, ham radio, karioke machine and disco ball hunting with you. Get with the times. It's 2014

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Hey Big Dave,

These fit really well on a Kindle, but you probably shouldn't take them hunting as you'll miss seeing all the deer.

http://ow.ly/tH2jT

Thanks I may check them out. Anything like William johnstones westerns?

Much better

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 60 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,360
Posts18,488,041
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.