-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ohhhhh baby! Butcher shop just called. Mucho jerky, jalapeno/cheddar salami and spicy sticks with cheese incoming.

Thanksgiving all over again!

GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm turning green here.

Keeping my fingers crossed that ML will be magical for me, or that one of my boys will score during late doe.

Not holding my breath; hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor! That sounds wonderful!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am stuffed with venison goodness right now. And a few sniffs of 100 proof bourbon....grin

We got snow coming down and I just may go spend the night in Jackson tomorrow and hunt Jackson or Grass Lake with a couple buds.

Of course the drink will be flowing, and we will be stuffed full of sausage, jerky, and smoked cheese, whether we shoot a buck or not.

I still have a honey hole in Jackson that is as of now, still untapped. Rumor has it a 12-14 point is in the hood. And my bud saw a good buck of 8 or more points in Grass Lake today (little long of a shot for him, but I woulda killed it easily grin).

Lots of possibilities/places to take a buck tomorrow. Of course, I am tagged out, but there will still be some tags present. If I shoot one it will only be to give it away to someone who wants it. I'm just going to have fun.

Good luck......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
There was a recent DNR study where they collared a bunch of deer. You would be shocked at how many died to predators. Once the snow gets deep then freezes, the coyotes can run on top, and the deer move like snails.

The deer hole up in the deer yards or cedar swamps where the air is warmer and wind less, and the predators find these places and it's game over.....

They get a few, no doubt made easier by the fact the deer are starving to death in the yards as there is no food for them.
Back in the 90's when there was deer all over the place in the UP we still had tons of coyotes and bears. Though we did have less wolves then than now, the wolves have seemed to knock the coyote numbers down quit a bit, at least in my area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the places I hunt, the coyotes have seemingly knocked down the numbers of all other forms of life. I see less of everything now. Except coyotes. We have taken a few, but not nearly enough.

The last couple times I went coyote hunting, I thought I was in the arctic circle. Stupid crazy amounts of snow, and temps that would keep most hunters in the cabin. No colors, only white, from the bottoms of the trees to the tops.

Nothing a yooper isn't used to, though.

I REALLY need to invest in some quality snow shoes.....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I drag this baby out, play time is over. I'm not looking to save fur, and the 87gr.V-maxes can prove it grin
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't shoot another buck and I would probably edit your post and remove the part about shooting one on someone else's tag.

No question you have great land and a very good hunter (probably better than most), but I would tone it down a little. A lot of Michigan hunters are having a really tough season and will be lucky to kill 1 buck.

Last edited by cooperfan; 11/28/14.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Dooger
Originally Posted by longshot3
I got back from the UP last week. In 5 days of hunting, between 3 of us on a 260 acre private farm, we saw 242 deer. Only one monster chasing a doe at 400yds, that I couldn't get to stop. We got one big doe with a land owner doe tag and saw two wolves.

Banana belt? Or migration trails?

If so, 16 deer per day per hunter isn't bad at all. I'm not saying it's right, but 10 years ago you would have seen that x2 or x3 over there.

You'd be lucky to see a deer a day in my neck of the woods.

In the banana belt, near Dagget. The guys in camp said the same thing.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well, fellas, got to brag on my wife. Many years ago, I built her a rifle to fit her, a petite .257 roberts. Then life got busy with family and she was never was fired up enough to go out. However, this year I asked her to go buy a left over doe tag because we do like a little venison and we have deer literally in our back yard. So she got the license and said, "well, its my license, so maybe I should go hunt." Our youngest son said "do it mom!!!!!" Se we've been going out together as time allowed, and this morning it happened. Went back to the blind and there was several deer in a small patch of standing corn we'd left. We got her arranged on the home made shooting sticks and she made a perfect one shot kill at around 90-100 yards. 100 gr. Nosler ballistic tip handload. Deer ran about 75 yards and piled up. This was about as good as being with my boys when they took their first deer. Will try to post a picture or two later.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats ruffedgrouse!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
I'd like to eliminate bait to normalize deer travel patterns and force hunters to hunt deer.

Me too but everyone is makin way too much money for that to happen.

When are we going shootin? Lets go to Kent some time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooperfan
I wouldn't shoot another buck and I would probably edit your post and remove the part about shooting one on someone else's tag.

No question you have great land and a very good hunter (probably better than most), but I would tone it down a little. A lot of Michigan hunters are having a really tough season and will be lucky to kill 1 buck.

I have never, ever, taken game illegally. Or used somebody else's tag. Ever. But like you say, not that easy to get a deer for some. This is the exact reason why I was considering it. I can get them a deer. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it would be on private property wth the landowners tag. And the landowner would be getting the deer.

It may not be by the book, but I'd not consider it morally wrong. The landowner still paid the state to harvest the deer on their own private property. The only technicality would be who pulled the trigger.

Anyhoo, I'm told they have leftover over the counter doe tags available. So I will just go that route and let one of the guys with a buck tag hunt the big boys.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think I will take the 480 SRH. Why not?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Took this 8 pt with it. Hard to see, but it is in my right hand:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That is one bad ass shootin iron!

Do you think "are ya feelin lucky punk, well are ya?" just before you pull the trigger? If you dont you should.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love the avatar!

I do love the 480. I crunched the numbers years ago, and found that after my bullet has traveled 100 yds., it still has more energy than a 44 mag has at the muzzle. Plus, it makes a good bit larger hole. I'll never need/want a larger handgun.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's a real shame they never chambered the 480 in the Blackhawk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I consider it the BEST factory made hunting revolver produced today. You cannot do better. Period. If they made one in 480 I would own it....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, it's the last evening of the last day and I'm sitting in the frigid, windy weather and hoping to see a legal buck. I've got a doe tag, but have seen few adult does this year and unless I get buried up by does in the next little while, convincing me that winter kill is in my head, I won't be using it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It got warm here. Still $hitty though. Rainy, wind.

Lots of muzzleloader season left to fill your buck tag....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by efw
I'd like to eliminate bait to normalize deer travel patterns and force hunters to hunt deer.

I'm convinced that we have one generation that has no idea how to hunt deer without bait. That generation is beginning to raise a second. The number of licenses sold would drop drastically if baiting was outlawed.

FWIW, I was told by a CO that the number of tickets written this year for violations of the antler point restriction increased drastically from last year. They tried to cut people some slack last year since it was the first year in my area that they were in effect. Not this year.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (10gaugemag, 358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,189 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,216
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.