Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by eh76
Have been told by several dealers the trust route is going away. You can will it to someone and the transfer is at no cost though.

Obama is trying to close the trust "loophole" that will mandate a background check on all members of the trust before approval. In limbo...

Form 5 is a tax free transfer to your heirs, just needs to be filled out and submitted.

Last edited by supercrewd; 11/30/14.

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't there some kind of interview the buyer has to go through with law enforcement before you can be approved to buy a suppressor? I wouldn't mind having one but it sounds like a big hassle to get one.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't think there is an interview, local LEO are supposed to do a sign off. I guess that might make some want to talk to you.

I don't get the local sign off. Its beyond stupid.

A friend went trust because his local would sign full auto but not suppressors because he doesn't like suppressors.... go figure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Isn't there some kind of interview the buyer has to go through with law enforcement before you can be approved to buy a suppressor? I wouldn't mind having one but it sounds like a big hassle to get one.

Just put it in a trust. Any reputable dealer will walk you through it. Some charge to set it up, others don't.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, I don't know the first thing about suppressors or acquiring such so i'll ask the dumb question. When you say put it in a trust, what does that mean?

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A trust is a legal entity.

Instead of the supressor being owned by an individual, the supressor is owned by the trust. The difference being with a trust, everyone who is a part of the trust has legal access to the supressor. Hence you don't have to physically be present anytime the supressor is used by someone in the trust, and you don't have a pay a $200 transfer when say you pass on and you want one of your heirs to have the supressor as you could already have them as a trustee.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still need a LE sign off on it correct?

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, I'll to ask my buddy about this, he's got 3-4 suppressors and he never mentioned anything about a trust.

Steelhead

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The trust is the only way to go.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I didn't have any trouble going individual. Sheriff signed off without issue and they already have my fingerprints anyway. The idea of letting a buddy borrow it, doesn't appeal to me and my heirs can transfer it for $5 after I'm dead.

I own a corporation and could've went that way too but didn't see the need myself. Just get one!

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went indvidual too. No big deal.

What's the wait time for approval these days?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I bought one a couple months ago and it was 5-7.

I need to be able to put my family and friends on the trust otherwise I'd see no point in buying one.

Travis

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
That was my reason too. If my wife or kids want to use it they can do so without me being there. I guess I could just put all members of the 'fire on it and have a community suppressor!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only way I'd buy a can as an individual is if they passed 41P requiring everyone on the trust to be fingerprinted.

Otherwise, there is no downside to a trust, and the flexibility of having legal access for your family is worth the $200-300 you'll pay for a lawyer to draw one up.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
The nice thing about Florida is that the "Trust" doesn't have to be filed anywhere and can be modified easily.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
I didn't have any trouble going individual. Sheriff signed off without issue and they already have my fingerprints anyway. The idea of letting a buddy borrow it, doesn't appeal to me and my heirs can transfer it for $5 after I'm dead.

I own a corporation and could've went that way too but didn't see the need myself. Just get one!

Ah, you don't "trust" any of your friends. LOL.

I went that trust route so the nephews and good friends and family can use them as needed.

Not like I'm giving em a LAW or such

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
my friends can buy their own... smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wait time is around 6 months now. The ATF hired I think 9 new people for no reason but approving NFA paperwork.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Originally Posted by eh76
Have been told by several dealers the trust route is going away. You can will it to someone and the transfer is at no cost though.

Obama is trying to close the trust "loophole" that will mandate a background check on all members of the trust before approval. In limbo...

Form 5 is a tax free transfer to your heirs, just needs to be filled out and submitted.

Noted but don't bet zero won't get it done. As I said I have heard it from more than one source in the business.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 5 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.