Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Royce
I was looking for a rifle in 257 or 260 lately and they just don't seem to appear in gun stores.

Try the 7-08, they are easy to find........with 120's, & even 140's it is very easy on the shoulder, even in a gun as light as a 700-Ti.

MM

Agreed. Get a 7-08. I load 120TSXs for deer in a Finnlight and recoil is mild....

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm continually amazed and the number of people I meet that look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them I use a 223 a bunch for deer hunting.

People are mostly stupid, you know that.

You need to teach my former neighbor how to consistently harvest deer with the .223. He did very well with the .30-06 & .270, but he struggled with the .223.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why? Shot placement? Bullet selection?

TSXs will shoot through a deer lengthwise. BTDT got the T shirt....

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I can't remember what he was shooting. I do remember that he reloaded all his ammo. I helped him skin a lot of deer that he shot with either the .30-06 or .270, and I helped him look for a fair amount if deer that he shot with the .223. He eventually added a .243 to his arsenal which improved the situation somewhat. The guy was automatic with the .30-06 or .270.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm.

All I can say is that if you hit a deer with a 223 in the right place with the right bullet, it will die just the same as with a larger bullet.

My cousin's wife kills them every year with 55gr soft points. I use TSXs, just because, but have hundreds of Winny 64gr PowerPoints that I will switch to if my supply of TSXs ever runs out.

I do like having the tougher bullet in the smaller caliber, but really am not so sure it is needed if I do my part....

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Hands down my favorite low recoiling round for deer is the 250 savage. Be it for beginners or experts it just kills great with regular factory loads and hardly kicks at all, even with a steel buttplate it never bothered me at all as a kid of 11. My dads 308 was way more of a handful back then. Didnt make me flinch but I didnt particularly like shooting it and I was already an experienced hunter and shooter for my age.

In the 22 centerfires, Ive used the 22 Hornet, 223, and 22-250. The big case is better than the tiny one by a bunch, but I still took a bunch of deer with it. But the 22-250 compared with the 223, its an improvement but it isnt by much,just a lil more range. I have shot both in factory rounds with standard 55 grainers in them but the 60 Hornady SP is a good solid bullet for deer and the 60 Partition is simply awesome for a non bonded or solid bullet. Ive gotten almost full length penetration with it on a 200lb buck at 3400 and the bullet weighed 42 grains.

Still there is a noticable difference in the effect after the shot between it and the 250 and 243. They show the hit more/better, especially on bigger bodied fellas. Even if the deer dies within same time frame/distance. Does that make sense?

Where shooters can get into trouble is to take a bigger bullet shot with a little (standard)bullet. With standard bullets it doesnt always work out the same as if that bullet and caliber were designed for deer. Ive done that, and learned my lesson after a couple tracking jobs that took too long. As in one time I forgot I was holding the rifle I had and a young buck offered a shot in a brushy unit. I had a small window to shoot thru and it was to break the shoulder. It didnt have the effect I needed and I had to track that one a ways!

Other than that I cant see how the caliber would make the difference. Unless!... unless he was rushing them when they weren't dead yet and they jumped up and covered ground, the bullet hole closed up and they dropped in some canyon. I can see that happening.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I'm continually amazed and the number of people I meet that look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them I use a 223 a bunch for deer hunting.

You need to teach my former neighbor how to consistently harvest deer with the .223. He did very well with the .30-06 & .270, but he struggled with the .223.

You missed the 'People are mostly stupid'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I can't believe we are still having this conversation. Remington's Managed Recoil loads were introduced in 2004. That's 10 years ago, people!

The .30-06 MR load is a 125 grain bullet at 2660 fps.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

What made the guy stupid? Why were his results better with the 06 or .270 vs. the .223? Or am I stupid for reporting what happened?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by postoak
I can't believe we are still having this conversation. Remington's Managed Recoil loads were introduced in 2004. That's 10 years ago, people!

The .30-06 MR load is a 125 grain bullet at 2660 fps.

Scrolling through this thread wondering when someone was (finally) going to mention this. +1.

(I started my 9-year-old on the 270 with my own 'managed recoil' type 100 grain hand loads. He loved the feeling of the recoil after experiencing none with the 22 LR. Consequently he shot it frequently, not a lot in a single session, and he became good with it. Consequently he had no problem handling full power loads when we hunted moose when he turned 10.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

What made the guy stupid? Why were his results better with the 06 or .270 vs. the .223? Or am I stupid for reporting what happened?

No telling. I've seen plenty of people [bleep] up LOTS of things and I have no idea how they did it.

Here's a hint on stupid. If 10 people are giving a task to do and 9 of the 10 can do it repeatedly with no issues, but the 10th continually fuggs it up. The 10th is stupid.

I have NO idea what he was doing, where he was shooting them etc etc, but NEVER underestimate stupid.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by powdr
Yes a big mistake. While we as grown men think that the 30-06 doesn't have much recoil...to a child it does. I know somebody's going to come along and say when my boy was 6 he killed a moose w/my .358Norma Mag. but it's really tough on youngsters. Knowing young people are so excited to get to go hunting they often times hide the fact that the recoil on a certain rifle is too much. All we have to do is watch their faces while shooting and see how they close their eyes, yank the trigger and grimace w/their face. powdr

When we talk about recoil, we usually cite the physics of recoil -- bullet weight, powder weight, stock design, etc. But the human factor is there, and it can't be made into a formula. Does a shooter hold the buttstock in the pocket of his shoulder, or just outside it? How tightly does the shooter anchor the rifle to his shoulder? What is the angle of the shooter's wrist on the pistol grip. Is the shooter's head floating freely, or does he have a good cheek-weld? Does he have a death-grip on the gun? Does the shooter cant the rifle? Does the shooter move with the rifle, or does he resist the movement? And, as the quoted post alludes to, the body size of the shooter makes a difference.

While the physics of recoil are the same with the same rifle from shooter to shooter, how that impacts the shooter can vary widely. All of these things and more affect felt recoil.

I'd hypothesize that if we spent some time on shooting form, recoil would be less of an issue.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There's also the factor of age, and size doesn't always work the way many shooters automatically expect it to.

Both affect flexibility. I've know several people who happily shot shoulder guns of fairly high recoil until their 50's, when they started developing shoulder problems or recoil headaches. And just because somebody's big (or male) doesn't mean they can take more recoil. I've known 100-pound women who shoot lightweight .338 Winchester Magnums and even big-bore double rifles without any problems, and big, strong, young, men with no physical problems who can't shoot a typical 7mm or .300 magnum without flinching, because they don't roll with recoil like a smaller person.

One of the interesting things about shooting, which is often apparent on the Campfire, is that so many shooters believe what's true for them is true for every other shooter on earth. This tends to be a general characteristic of most humans, but it obviously isn't true. This conviction that everybody else is exactly like us results in comments like, "Recoil's all mental," or "More shooting will cure it," or "Adding a good recoil pad and hearing protection cure a flinch." Well, sometimes each of those are true, but sometimes they're not.

And being able to understand the differences between other humans is what makes really good teachers and coaches. Only offering statements on how recoil affects us doesn't cover much of the rest of the world.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Amen, Mule Deer...

I have a friend/co-worker who's wife weighs probably 130 soaking wet...
Her favorite rifle is her .300 weatherby model 700. I've seen her shoot 40 and 60 rounds in a morning, and she has fun with it.
I've used her rifle, and don't much care for it.

You've written a lot about stock fit. Wish it was all in one place so I could get into it further...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Regarding the .223 on deer. What happens when that itty bitty bullet hits heavy shoulder bone? Can a .223 get the job done at 250yrds as compared to a 30-06? Nor does the .223 have the penetration for a raking shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. It does. A TSX will plow through a deer with zero trouble. Try it......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,860
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.