Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

And rabbits...

[Linked Image]

I'll bet you didn't even have to shoot "solids" to penetrate that massive rabbit skull. Irrefutable proof that the 45 acp is "enough gun".

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Nothing but head shots with these pistols. You don't need a one hole gun to shoot accurately. This gun is a Commercial model of around 1924 with original sights. Nothing fancy, it doesn't print tiny groups, but still enough for minute of Rabbit or minute of deer accuracy...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Nothing but head shots with these pistols. You don't need a one hole gun to shoot accurately. This gun is a Commercial model of around 1924 with original sights. Nothing fancy, it doesn't print tiny groups, but still enough for minute of Rabbit or minute of deer accuracy...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hello Shrapenal
Nice Deer. The One Hole ragged result is the hand Loader perfection that I always' seem to strive for. I Can't help it I feel it is the Stubborn German Perfection in me that makes me strive for those kind of results and also because I CAN... L.O.L. The General

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can say don't rely on penetration... I know better but had no choice.. only had a kimber ultra carry 3 inch following up a buddies wounded doe... found her bedded in thick south Texas brush.... but before I could locate the head she jumped... I dropped 4 quick rounds as she got up and left in a hurry.

Went to get a Catahoula... had to shoot her in the head a while later with the 45 once bayed.

All 4 of my previous rounds had hit her as she left, none had made it far enough past the hips/hinds to penetrate the organs.

I keep my mag staggered 230 ball and 230 whatever HP I happen to have around... I think these were WW but am not sure.

I've shot a couple broadside with no issues.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U

And rabbits...

[Linked Image]

Out-Friggin-Standing!!!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by generalstuart

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hello Shrapenal
Nice Deer. The One Hole ragged result is the hand Loader perfection that I always' seem to strive for. I Can't help it I feel it is the Stubborn German Perfection in me that makes me strive for those kind of results and also because I CAN... L.O.L. The General

I don't have a one hole gun in either of my safes, rifles included. Trying for perfection is too hard on me. I only needed a 2 point to graduate from college, why overachieve and do any more than necessary.

I would certainly love to have a bunch of one-holers, but I don't. Not a criticism as much as an observation...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rost495
I can say don't rely on penetration... I know better but had no choice.. only had a kimber ultra carry 3 inch following up a buddies wounded doe... found her bedded in thick south Texas brush.... but before I could locate the head she jumped... I dropped 4 quick rounds as she got up and left in a hurry.

Went to get a Catahoula... had to shoot her in the head a while later with the 45 once bayed.

All 4 of my previous rounds had hit her as she left, none had made it far enough past the hips/hinds to penetrate the organs.

I keep my mag staggered 230 ball and 230 whatever HP I happen to have around... I think these were WW but am not sure.

I've shot a couple broadside with no issues.

I have one of thoses Ultra Kimbers and mine barely breaks 700 FPS with +P 230's
The 4" Colt Officer model doesn't lose nearly as much velocity.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have a one hole gun in either of my safes, rifles included. Trying for perfection is too hard on me. I only needed a 2 point to graduate from college, why overachieve and do any more than necessary.

I would certainly love to have a bunch of one-holers, but I don't. Not a criticism as much as an observation...

I know guys who have one holers, I have some, who, when it comes to hunting, can't hit the broadside of a barn standing in the barn. I'm one of those. Good shooting and I'm not standing in front of you. smile

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hello Shrapanel
I only Keep shooter's that will perform that is why I focus on Classic S&W revolver's as they all will shoot One Hole Ragged result's if I do my Job right. Regards, The General

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was in a gravel pit in MT this fall and rabbits were everywhere. But my brother kept bringing them home to eat.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Rabbit and grouse are better eating than deer any day...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Trying to build my brother an amatuer gunsmtithing shop in Eastern MT and then he wants me to clean his rabbits too.
It was also a good sharptail grouse year.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ever had rabbit and spaghetti? Yum, yum.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cottontail are damn good eating. Now jackrabbits? I never quite worked up the nerve to try cooking one. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So do you guys think the 45acp is a better hunting round than the 44mag?

I've always consider the 44mag to be a good hunting round but never really considr the 45acp one. A good self-defense roud, yes, but not huntig.

Looking forward to some enlightenment as I have a 1911 and didn't realize how versatile it could be!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

All things considered the 44 mag is a better hunting round, because it is capable of taking very large game with 300 or heavier bullets.

Since you consider the 45 ACP a good defensive round, then why would it not be a good deer hunting round as well?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love the 1911 for hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
cottontail are damn good eating. Now jackrabbits? I never quite worked up the nerve to try cooking one. smile

young ones are fine, older ones are a bit stringy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice Dan. I cant believe you let the Baer get wet. wink

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,578
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.