Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hunted all day Monday. Saw 7 deer including a 5 pt. Someone missed it down below me and it rand across my front from right to left angling up the mountain. I never made horns until it was all most out of sight. Threw one at it more in exasperation than anything else, but never touched it. It ran in front of a kid from the camp next door and he got it with a clean well placed running shot. It was his first deer, and boy was he excited. I found the remains of two old tree stands I'd hunted in the past, bringing back some very pleasant memories. Monday afternoon, I hunted up high on the hill into my dad's old spot. I just couldn't stay up there-still hurts too much to know Dad's only up there in spirit these days. Still hunted my way back down the hill towards camp. It was a good day to be in the woods. They were forecasting freezing rain for Tuesday, and I didn't want to get stranded up on the mountain, so we broke camp Tuesday morning and headed back to Youngstown. There's no deer hunt like the Pennsylvania opener. Those of us who've been fortunate enough to experience it are very lucky indeed.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I got a small 8 on Monday morning. The 338 Federal did it's job.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats!

GG was really hoping to see you post horns, but sounds like you had a great time nonetheless. That neighbor boys got a good story for the rest of his life. Nothing like hunting PA!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had an hilarious morning hunt. Worked my way up this valley for around 1.5hours. Like most streams it winds back and forth and sooner or later you are pinched on the steep banks on each side. Which requires a careful crossing if you don't want to get wet.

[Linked Image]

At the end I finally worked my way to the top and worked it back.
Some may remember that last year I came across an albino Buck and got a pic of him in the brush. Well, I saw same white up ahead and thought there he is again. Put the binos on him and he looked a little bushy. Hmmmmm. Followed up and this is what I found. WTH are two goats doing down in here. Or is that a Goat and a Lamb? There is a farm around a mile away, so I guess they went on a tramp.

[Linked Image]

Still hunted till 4pm and then went to finish out the day at my favorite stand. Which looks across a regrown strip mine field.
Saw 9 Does and took a pic of these four that were around 180 yards away. Decided to hold off on filling the Doe tag. Mistake?
Time will tell.

[Linked Image]

Another good day.

Last edited by battue; 12/08/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You went all the way to PA and hunted one day? shocked

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Last Saturday I had to work. I figured I would'nt miss anything because of all the rain. Between my house and a little town named Elderton I saw about 50 or so vehicles and about 20 or so amish buggies. Most of these were around Keystone lake. So I guess there were some guys out hunting. Still, the kill around here is way down. I have a few days off and am going to try and get a doe. Good luck to all!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just leaving to go back out. Come evening the Does took a pounding around my area on Monday.

Two more from yesterday, around 40yards that lived another day. Maybe I'm going soft on Does, but I'm still looking for horns.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 12/10/14.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Keep after it, that buck will come along.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Went out this afternoon, did'nt see a thing. I have three more days to get my doe.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had to go to State College early this morning, on the way back to Somerset, I was thinking "I'll go hunting when I get home, it's pretty decent and the weather may have them moving". About halfway up the mountain, I started to see snow in the woods and thought Good! Then I got on top of the mountain and the fog and snow rolled in with the wind howling. frown

I said screw it and took a nap. grin

I'm going to Shippensburg to pick up my son on Friday and then head to DuBois for the last day, hopefully at least one of the 18 does I saw on opening day will show up.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
9 Does and a:

[Linked Image]

While pulling into my cousins house. Actually 5, but I couldn't get the camera out quick enough. Changed locals today and hunted around his corn fields and little wood lot. Friday we are putting on an old time family Deer drive.

Then while eating dinner there were 2 Bucks in his back yard. Ya gotta love it. grin

Last edited by battue; 12/10/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like everyone's having a good season.

I haven't seen the number of deer as usual, but with the weather we had this week. Im looking forward to getting out tomorrow

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been kicking some out of their beds during daylight, but most frequently seeing them around 4:15 to 5pm in the fields when they come out to feed.

With the warm weather and full moon it seems like they are not moving all that much during the day. Very few hunters out to get them moving. Which I would prefer, but they were up and moving more in recent years in the area I hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same here, mostly see deer out after 4pm. Haven't seen any before 8am. I'm hunting a new spot this year, so I dont know their habits as well as usual either. Looking forward to getting out with snow on the ground.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I saw two bucks the first day.

One was definitely not legal and the other I couldn't tell.

They'll be bigger next year.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]I got this one right after lunch today.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good deal!!!

They were moving today, plus you could see them with the snow.
Saw 23. One was a nice Buck with dark chocolate antlers. Problem was he saw me first.

Four on the hoof from the evening stand.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My friend that lives down the road from me saw 25 in a bunch. 5 bucks none legal. Well I guess Saturday I'll be a driver. Still a lot of bucks out there.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Saw 13 walking around and 10 from 3:30-5:00 while waiting.

Addition: Funny thing was that before the season doing scouting I didn't see a single Doe with Fawns. All were by themselves, which I thought odd and wondered if the Coyotes had been on a hard prowl. So far during the season each adult Doe has had a least one yearling with her.

Last edited by battue; 12/11/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GG-
Originally Posted by SKane
You went all the way to PA and hunted one day? shocked

Waxing eloquently in the months preceeding this and the MN hunt - only to put in one day each has earned you the new nickname "One-Day-GG". grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.