-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Glad you are OK RH. God was watching out for you. Lessons learned.

- Rogue
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Instead of webbing straps on the foot climber, a tarp strap would have been much better. If my feet had come out, the vest would have caught me.

Never, never,never, never, EVER, EVER use webbing straps. My wife didn't listen to me and wound up hanging upside down from her climber with two broken ankles.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Instead of webbing straps on the foot climber, a tarp strap would have been much better. If my feet had come out, the vest would have caught me.

Never, never,never, never, EVER, EVER use webbing straps. My wife didn't listen to me and wound up hanging upside down from her climber with two broken ankles.

I don't know why my ankles weren't broken too. My head was all cut up from some brier vines I went through on the way down. They must have slowed me down enough that I only wound up with a sprain on my left ankle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad to hear you're OK. My wife's hand climber opened up because she didn't secure it properly and she fell backwards with her feet strapped to the platform.

Honestly don't know how she was able to swing her body upwards and cut the strap with her knife. Fell about ten feet and then crawled with her elbows up a steep clear cut about 600 yards back to the house. Neighbor found her in the middle of the road.

Tough girl.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Glad you're okay RH. Climber stands can be dangerous. A loc-on is safer, IMO. The Loc-on is a better choice if you plan to hunt to same location intermittently. If you use strap-on climbing sticks just take the bottom two with you will deter all but determined thieves, leave the cabled/locked stand in place. The prussik tied into a fall harness is a non-negotiable. Take a buddy with you when place the stand as that first time you will have to place the sticks/stand and the rope for the prussik/fall harness and the potential for a fall will be higher.

Having said that, all serious whitetail buck chasers know the first set up in a stand is likely the best ambush, and a portable climber makes this possible. Make sure you develop a thorough check to ensure all is well with your stand and climbing technique.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Glad to hear you're OK. My wife's hand climber opened up because she didn't secure it properly and she fell backwards with her feet strapped to the platform.

Honestly don't know how she was able to swing her body upwards and cut the strap with her knife. Fell about ten feet and then crawled with her elbows up a steep clear cut about 600 yards back to the house. Neighbor found her in the middle of the road.

Tough girl.

Just wanted to say I hate to hear that about your wife. It sounds horrible but I'm glad she survived.

I'm fine but thinking about how bad it could have been if it had happened when I was 20 feet up and it had broken my legs makes me very grateful.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
R_H_Clark: Thankfully you were not seriously hurt!
And thanks for the tips.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I don't get in tree stands either. If you do wear a DAMN GOOD HARNESS. A friend of the family didn't tell anyone where he was going to be hunting. Laid in the woods for almost 2 days before his brother remembered an old spot they used to go to. He fell out and broke his pelvis.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My new deer stand , I just got it today

[Linked Image]

and painted it

[Linked Image]

It don't climb trees

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you really get 'em to stand on it?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
dang it, glad you made it out ok

regular occurrence for me to climb 90-100 ft. spruce trees to locate moose

no seat or harness, just a couple of boards, and some cargo straps.

I try and be damned careful though.

few years ago big windstorm blew through, hanging onto that tree for dear life, while it swayed to and fro, trees crashing down all around, was kinda sporty as it lasted over an hour.

but pretty tough to fill a freezer where I hunt without gaining a birds eye view.

may have to rethink how I'm doing things though.

appreciate your post and glad you weren't hurt any worse than what you were.

I do the same. Not usually 90 feet up, but often 30 or 40. I am damn careful about how I do it. Three points of contact at all times.....That's what you gotta do to hunt moose effectively where I hunt.

Glad you weren't hurt RH, maybe build a permanent stand with a ladder up to it?

Last edited by Pittu; 11/29/14.

Eat moose, burn spruce
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you for sharing that RH. I just read that Larry Kelm, who played linebacker for Texas A&M and the LA Rams fell from a tree stand last week and died. He was only 49. Another warning for all of us.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Quite a story, and glad you're around to tell it...unfortunately, the scenario is too often recounted.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Glad to hear you're ok.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

203 members (14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 450yukon, 2ndwind, 29 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,626
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.