-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I traded into a Quality Hardware M-1 carbine a few years back and have never fired it even though I have quite a bit of ammo for it. It's in excellent condition but I can't find any cartouches on the stock. It has a web sling, oiler in the stock and bayonet lug. CMP says that it's the 3rd rarest model but I am not a collector so that doesn't blow my skirt up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a neighbor who killed his wife with one. Using hardball ammo he emptied the clip into her at very close range, then retrieved a pistol and finished her off as she tried to crawl out the door.

Once he finished shooting her, the Chicago Police officers - ordered by a judge to accompany her into the house to get her things - came out from behind the trees they had hunkered down behind. They had not actually accompanied her into the house as ordered, because the husband had assured them everything was cool.

(At this point we are supposed to say: "At least they went home to their families that night.")

The house sold at a tremendous discount after that incident.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by viking
Nice story there Dirt.

So what bayonet did m-1s take. Was it the Garand models or their own version.

actually the earlier carbines did NOT take a bayonet, a knife similar to a trench knife was issued. The earlier front barrel bands had no provision to mount a bayonet. It was later they started retrofitting type four barrel bands, and then the m4bayonet. WWII ones were leather handled. Korean war and later plastic or different materials.
The knife issued at the beginning had a leather scabbard soon to be replaced with the fiberglass type due to rotting.
They are not cheap today if you find one with an original leather scabbard.
And a true folder, i.e. with the original folding stock were only made by inland and winchester. They are quite pricy.

I did a look up and bayonet lugs were added starting in 1945 although few M-1 carbines with the bayonet lug made it to the ETO before the war ended. Starting with Korea all M-1 carbines had bayonet lugs. I know mine did, the one I used in the service in the 70's.

Just to back up with what you were saying.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
you are talking about .30 M1 carbines?
[Linked Image]

Wow. Nice collection Sam.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam Yes sir. I was talking .30 cal M1 carbine. This one has DOB of 1944.
I know how we all like a lot of pictures. Enjoy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And yes. This one has an M4 bayonet with mount.

Last edited by local_dirt; 11/29/14.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MColeman
I traded into a Quality Hardware M-1 carbine a few years back and have never fired it even though I have quite a bit of ammo for it. It's in excellent condition but I can't find any cartouches on the stock. It has a web sling, oiler in the stock and bayonet lug. CMP says that it's the 3rd rarest model but I am not a collector so that doesn't blow my skirt up.

the one I showed with the bayonet, is a Quality Hardware. The barrel is by RockOla.

The folding stock carbine is an Inland. All the parts are marked Inland.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/29/14.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
As a pilot in Vietnam, there was not a lot of room in the aircraft for an M-14 or M-16 - I 'discovered' the M2 carbine with a folding stock full auto selector - loved it and had a canvas case that held twelve 30-round mags. Obviously couldn't bring it back frown

P-Man. Nice story. I have a couple friends who have owned M2s. One was a door gunner on a Huey. He really liked it, a folding stock version that did not take up a lot of room. Hell of a nice guy and pretty funny, too. I asked him once if he had ever thought about staying in and making a career out of it. He said there was not a lot of career development opportunities available for a door gunner on a chopper.

Other friend was able to get it back and recently sold it as part of large package of guns.

Last edited by local_dirt; 11/29/14.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam, if you don't mind me asking, what are you using to treat your stocks? They look really nice.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the wood was originally treated with BLO, the original stuff not that with the additives.
The bayonet lug was the type four, prior to that was a narrow band, then a medium band.
Most of the ones you run into are just like garands, mix and match. You have to know what you are doing tho, as more than one of the manufactures really didn't make the parts, they subcontracted them from other companies. And some of them that still had recievers near the end of production sent them to other manufacturers. Those are the "line out" and are considered rather special.
Most consider the irwin peterson the rare one, it is, but not anywhere near rare as some of the subspecies.
I am going off the top of my memory, but as an example a postal meter about the only thing postal meter is the reciever.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I should take some pictures of it, but just snagged some 1942 production military m1carbine ammo in a trapizoidal box. I should go back and buy the rest of it. To shoot it, not a chance, but it is fun to look at.
I found a leather jeep scabbard for a carbine last year which i considered a coup.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GunReader
I had a neighbor who killed his wife with one. Using hardball ammo he emptied the clip into her at very close range, then retrieved a pistol and finished her off as she tried to crawl out the door.

Once he finished shooting her, the Chicago Police officers - ordered by a judge to accompany her into the house to get her things - came out from behind the trees they had hunkered down behind. They had not actually accompanied her into the house as ordered, because the husband had assured them everything was cool.

(At this point we are supposed to say: "At least they went home to their families that night.")

The house sold at a tremendous discount after that incident.

Very female sounding, and what a nice contribution.

I bought what I thought was an M1 carbine back in the late 90s. Didn't know squat about them, but it had wood stock and a Choate folding one (which at the time I thought was cooler that it really was). Turns out it's a Universal, not a real M1. And it's a POS that has never run well. Have had plans to turn it into a pump rifle, but have never gotten around to it.

FWIW I've never seen or handled an M1 that was converted to pump action, but have read about it. Thought it'd make a neat bunny gun or something.

MAGA
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I killed my first deer with an M-1 carbine. Still have it.

Friend of mine said his brother brought back an M-2 from Korea.

I've heard that ground forces didn't much like the M-2 in VN as it drew fire from both sides!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Sam, if you don't mind me asking, what are you using to treat your stocks? They look really nice.

I have not done anything to the wood. Just wipe it clean from time to time.

Sam......

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mine was an M-2 and there was no bringing home full-auto mil weapons, especially original US issue

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Guess the finish wasn't as bad as I thought.]]==

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice guns guys...another I wished I'd bought back before prices got silly.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
makes two of us...the new 300BO cartridge with a 110 grain bullet is very close to the carbine when fired from a 10 inch pistol barrel, interesting to me is that the 2100FPS BO velocity makes it more dependent on bullet technology (in my opinion). The Barnes 110 Vor-TX will punch both shoulders and exit leaving a quarter sized exit hole. IMO the carbine or the 300BO round is for sure more than any 9mm or 45ACP.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
for plinking, I load up with the 110 grain FMJ bullets. For social work, I use the 110 grain SP. The most effective factory loading seems to be the Winchester 110 grain hollow point soft point.

Sam......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 5 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.