-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
Just want to give everyone a heads up about this outfitter. JH Outdoors is ran by Jim Hill. I had the opportunity to go elk hunting in CO. I ended up choosing this guy because he seemed very knowledgeable and had some great references. I booked with him and gave a deposit to hold my date for a 2nd season 1x1 guided rifle hunt. Needless to say that hunt never happened because he is not a licensed outfitter. I never received my deposit back either. Do not make the same mistake I did!

Last edited by Anderson2424; 11/11/14.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Did you report this to the CPW and if so,do you have proof of the deposit payment?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
OP Offline
A
yeah, in the process of reporting to Colorado Game and Fish and also have proof that he deposited payment. Also reporting to RMEF.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
PM sent

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd also file a complaint with the outfitters board in Colorado. I had an issue 5-6 years ago with an outfitter trying to keep my money when I canceled a hunt for medical reasons (shoulder surgery) and met his contractual language for doing so. The rest of my crew went and it turned our horrid. More than a few "misunderstandings" and a couple of outright lies. I ended up with my money back thanks to the outfitters association.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Anderson, sorry to hear you had a bad deal. Wishing you the best.

Thanks for the heads up.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just do your homework

Last edited by exbiologist; 11/12/14.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have to take exception to some of that. Jeanne Horne (Female)who owns/operates J Bar H outfitters was named the Colorado Outfitter of the year for 2012 and is a member of the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission. She runs a very respectable and successful operation. Although you qualify your post with the statement they are your personal opinions, you are slandering some of the good outfitters.

You can ask an outfitter all the questions mentioned and he can also lie with all his answers. Get references from the outfitter and talk to them. If he/she won't give references of past clients, look elsewhere.

For reference, I have ever only used one outfitter and that was required in Alberta. 51 years of strictly DYI hunts

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/12/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't talking about her, but I'll PM you my rationale if you'd like.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree that Jeanne Horne is outstanding. We have used her several times and have had an excellent experience each and every time. That said, I still prefer DIY.

Anderson,if you paid your deposit by mail all you need to do is contact the post office. They will get the postal inspection team involved. It is called mail fraud and they take that stuff very seriously. Using the mail to defraud someone is a felony and if nothing else, they will spend some time in jail and lose their right to own a firearm. Good Luck.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Just do your homework

Re-thought your original post huh?

A
OP Offline
A
Just to make this clear. JH Outdoors is the outfitter I had the problem with, and is a completely different from J Bar H Outfitters.

That for the info everyone, hadn't thought about the post office route.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not a good way to leave an impression.

A
OP Offline
A
Wanted to update everyone that Jim Hill is doing the same thing to whitetail hunters in Kansas. Again want to let everyone know if you are wanting to hunt out West don't book with Jim Hill. He is bad news.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ro1459
I agree that Jeanne Horne is outstanding. We have used her several times and have had an excellent experience each and every time. That said, I still prefer DIY.

Anderson,if you paid your deposit by mail all you need to do is contact the post office. They will get the postal inspection team involved. It is called mail fraud and they take that stuff very seriously. Using the mail to defraud someone is a felony and if nothing else, they will spend some time in jail and lose their right to own a firearm. Good Luck.

Yeah, actually the USPS won't do squat... paid a couple thousand for a bunch of AR15 lowers many years back.... the guy couldn't deliver... USPS said sorry.... not our deal. We not only paid by mail but by USPS money order to have more protection..

Lotsa luck withthat. Hell the IN AG office won't even pursue the bastard that ripped off a lot of us on a group buy..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rost495
I bet the local Sheriff would take some action.
To people who had trouble with the original post I thought it was clear and complete, what am I missing? Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see anything in your OP that was troubling and I think some of the other members posting in this thread and confusing your outfitter with someone else.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,873 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.