Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And as long as the vast majority of potential customers don't care whether their .223 or .22-250 has a faster twist, there's no reason to change.

^^^^^^

This

And the vast majority of potential customers literally don't know there ARE different twist rates .

Seriously.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Makes sense, so that is why Ruger can and has made 1-9" twist 224 caliber barrels for a LONG time to become 223 but can't figure out how to do it for the 22/250? They even make a 1-8" twist 223 now.

Same with Savage I guess. I had know idea when they hammer punched a barrel it chambered the barrel at the same time. Thanks.

Last edited by Steelhead; 12/08/14.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Smart ass.

It goes back to pandering to the ignorance of the customer. The vast majority of .22-250 buyers are looking at only one thing...speed, which they achieve with their 50 grain bullets.They don't care and cannot comprehend things like BC and SD, big words and big numbers.

The rifle loonies ( like you know who...) Buy .22-250s and rebarrel them to what they want. ( We are in the very tiny minority...)

I hear you and I feel your pain, but the gun companies don't...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If they can special runs every year in limited numbers of less than popular cartridges (think Lipsey Rugers, Remington Classics etc etc)

Maybe then can take one of those 1-8" twist barrels they just hammered out and put on a 22/250 and do a limited run too. Not like they don't have the barrels and reamers?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Scott,

I dunno why Ruger does it, but some European companies that use hammer-forged barrels DO hammer the chamber at the same time as the bore.

It also might be a matter of supply. I suspect Ruger (and every other company) sells a lot more .223's than .22-250's. I don't know how many barrel machines they have (though seem to remember having read about it somewhere), so might want to keep the 1-8 machine cranking them out. Plus, the big craze for tight twists is for .223's, not .22-250's.

Another explanation might be that they tested various twists on their .22-250's with factory ammunition and found some ammo didn't shoot all that well in a 1-8 twist. Not all factory bullets are as well-balanced as those handloaders often use, and extra velocity and twist will result in poor accuracy with relatively poor bullets. Which is exactly why so many factories used "just enough" twist 100 years ago, when the whole smokeless powder/high velocity deal was just getting worked out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dell
Ok thanks fellows. So

4. Why don't the manufactures tighten up the 22-250.

Stupidity.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You would sure think so....

I know my smith can punch a .223 barrel out to .22-250...

Hell of it is I'll bet they could sell more of them than they think....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If they can special runs every year in limited numbers of less than popular cartridges (think Lipsey Rugers, Remington Classics etc etc)

Maybe then can take one of those 1-8" twist barrels they just hammered out and put on a 22/250 and do a limited run too. Not like they don't have the barrels and reamers?

You're using that common sense stuff again, ad that just don't go around here! (or in the gun business!)

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And of course on the ammo issue, because it hasn't caught up.

If suddenly a bunch of 1-9" twist 22/250's were floating out of factory doors, then makers would begin to load some ammo to match.

I'd say there are more 1-7 to 1-9" twist 223's floating out the doors these days than anything.

So the train of thought is, shoot LONG/HEAVY bullets in a small cases GOOD. Shoot a LONG/HEAVY bullets in a bigger case, with greater velocity, BAD. Seems counter intuitive.

Same happens with the 358 Win and 35 Whelen. Lots of 1-12" twist 358's, but the Whelen gets a 1-16" twist. Which one is likely to see a LONGER/HEAVIER bullet? I'd say the Whelen, so if that's the case they say 'GIVE IT A SLOWER TWIST'

Again, counter intuitive.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You would never make it in the gun biz. I learned early you will never go broke underestimating the stupidity,and the poor taste, of the buying public.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't doubt that in the least. People have and will continue to baffle me.

Someone I know had a conversation recently with company about making a run of rifles in different cartridge. They sounded interested and said 'A 1-11" twist would be optimum for said cartridge'

I think he told them 'F*uk OPTIMUM', go faster.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As you know, there still exists a pervasive myth about tight twists 'over stabilizing' some of the lighter bullets...

Its like mentally over stabilizing a woman.

Cant be done.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All I know is I haven't seen any indication that bullets are getting shorter.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Good bullets plus fast twist=no downside.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I know I'd actually consider getting a 22-250 if they were easily had in fast-twist guns. A 1:9 at the slowest. I'd like to shoot the 70+gr bullets at around 3400. Seems like it would be a perfect deer/coyote rig.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Rebarreled with a 1 in 8.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Scott,

You've got it backward, to a certain extent.

At least one old-time gun writer was always whining about how shooters would buy more rifles chambered for X cartridge, if only the ammo companies offered more loadings. But the reason the ammo companies offered relatively few options in X cartridge was because not many people bought rifles in X cartridge.

In fact, in many instances, the ammo companies offer a wider variety of loadings in new cartridges, then scale them back when they find out how well each load sells. This is exactly what happened with the .260 Remington. When introduced it was projected to be the hottest hit in many years, but somehow shooters didn't buy as many as projected. Pretty soon .260 factory loads were pared to a bare minimum, because not all that many people bought rifles.

Ammo manufacturers aren't going to change what they offer just because a few companies are offering faster twists in their barrels. This is because faster-twist rifles are usually bought by rifle loonies who handload anyway, so don't buy factory ammo.

This is also why they haven't bothered to change twists in the .35 Whelen: Not enough .35 Whelens are sold to bother, and the 1-16 twist will stabilize 250-grain lead-cored spitzers. Why should either the ammo or rifle companies bother to retool when there's relatively little demand for either ammo or rifles?

Sales are also the reason Winchester dropped the 250-grain load for the .358 many years ago: Very few people bought it. So why do some companies use 1-12 twists in .358 barrels? Probably because somehow they ended up with a bunch of 1-12 twist barrels. We can bet it wasn't because of all the .358 fans who want to shoot 310-grain Woodleighs in their .358's.

Believe it or not, rifle and ammo companies are in business to make money, not to provide special rifling twists or factory loads for the few loonies who want such stuff. If demand increases to the point where it does become profitable to mass-produce 1-9 twist .22-250's and ammo to shoot in 'em, then they'll do it.

But the track record of new "outside the box" chamberings and loads is pretty abysmal. Generally, the big companies do best when they wait for demand to become obvious among MANY rifle loonies before they offer something different. This was the reason for the success of the .222 Remington, .243 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 WSM. Demand was already there, in the form of a lot of wildcat rifles.

Similarly, there was starting to be demand for faster-twist .223's, largely because of the rising popularity of AR-15's. Shooters didn't start buying fast-twist .223 bolt rifles because factories suddenly started making them. They bought them because the trend had already started with AR's.

In fact, the track record of cartridges and special loads the factories have thought up themselves is fairly miserable. Just look at the .256 Winchester Magnum, 6.5 Remington Magnum, and the WSSM's. There was almost no demand for any of them before they were introduced, and almost no demand afterward, either.

Right now the firearms business is starting to shrink, because the extraordinarily high demand of the past few years is starting to fade. Most companies are going to make stuff they know will sell, not stuff that might sell to a few loonies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hear you, but I don't believe that explains everything.

I've seen Ruger Hawkeyes in 35 Whelen, with a 1-16" twist right next to a Ruger Hawkeye in 358 Win with a 1-12" twist?

Why, because that's the way it's always been done line of thinking and that is EXACTLY why the 22/250 still has a 1-14" twist.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, nothing ever explains everything the factories do!

John Steinbeck
D
dell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks! Exactly what I was had hoped for when I started this thread.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.