Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I wanted to buy a classic sporter 338 win mag for elk hunting because my pre 64 model 70 took some good abuse this elk season and I felt sorry for it after 2 days in the rain. I put it away and started using a more weather resistant rifle. Of course 79s is going to say: See I told you so grin. I just don't like putting my pre 64's through that much anguish I guess. I have classic sporters for that kind of abuse grin. Anyway, with EricM, and Beretzs and Kutenay in mind, I took on a project that was almost complete, but needs some finishing touches. Here is a list of what will be done to it:

1. Cerakote the metal.
2. Cerakote the stock
3. Install new red pachmayr decelerator.
4. Glass bed.
5. Freefloat the barrel...
6. Jewel the bolt..
7. Hunt the living heck out of it in all kinds of weather..

I ended up getting an excellent deal on a 1955 pre 64 H&H action with a stainless 338 win mag barrel already screwed on. The barrel looks pretty damn new with polished chamber and crisp sharp rifling in the bore. It came with a bansner (High tech specialties) stock and weighs in right at 7 pounds. I weighed it with an extra aluminum floor plate I had laying around. I'll end up buying an aluminum trigger guard and then send it off for cerakote. My plans are to make it look somewhat similar to my 270 fwt, so the stock will be cerakoted dark brown (similar to Mcmillan's brown color).

Someone has already asked for some "before" pictures, plus there will be progression pics to come. Here goes guys. Hope you enjoy. To the true collectors, don't be too hard on me for putting this one to good use wink. I like to think of it as a new lease on life for this old girl, even though an H&H action may be a waste for a 338 win mag, it is cool that I can get 4 in the magazine cool ..:

Before pics:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have no idea as to who makes this barrel. If any of you know, please let me know.

This is what I did to it today:

Checked the receiver scope base threads. Chased the threads and they are all excellent:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0010_zps92a733cd.jpg[/img]

Took the action apart and sanded the stock down:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0018_zps28eb56c3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0020_zpsd34f99e9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0023_zps11def9c8.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Consider hard chrome over Cerakote: smoother and tougher and won't cause the action to bind by adding thickness to the finely fitted parts.

Very cool project!

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/08/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Continued:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's just about ready to give to my cerakote guy. I'll probably fit the decelerator first before it gets cerakoted though...:

[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Consider hard chrome over Cerakote: smoother and tougher and won't cause the action to bind by adding thickness to the finely fitted parts.

Very cool project!

Thanks buddy. I always appreciate your input on these old rifles. I generally try to leave these old girls alone except for the mcmillans here and there with the originals kept stashed away for safe keeping. Back to your hard chrome question. Yes, do you know anyone that does a good job? I use a guy for cerakote because he's close and he does outstanding work. The hard chrome would probably be tougher though.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Mahovsky Metalife does great work. I'd do cerakote for the alloy bottom metal, though. Or, if you cerakote, don't coat the action interior or the bolt. I had a pre-64 transition action fully cerakoted and it went from smooth to stiff.

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/08/14.
IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like it...a lot. Red pad will look great. What scope and mounts?
Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes, I noticed that on the classic sporter I had done. A little polishing of the raceways and it was back to normal. I'm going to have the bolt jeweled on this pre so there won't be an awful lot of cerakote on the inside of the receiver. I totally agree with you though. Something to be mindful of and you usually learn that on your first cerakoted action.. Here's an old tanger my cerakote guy did for me. He also jeweled the bolt. He does fantastic work:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Come to think about it, I've been looking at the transition you sold. If you google Winchester model 70 "cerakote pictures", yours is one of the first pictures you run across, along with a picture of my classic sporter that is cerakoted sniper grey and in a bansner stock just like this pre 64 I'm working on. I really like the brown McMillan I bought from you and want to make the bansner look just like it:
[Linked Image]

The bansner is light as hell and stiff. I like it. The weight of the rifle (when I get done with it) should be less than 8 pounds all up (scoped and sling)..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
I like it...a lot. Red pad will look great. What scope and mounts?
Bob

Mounts will probably be the Leupold PWR's like what are on my 375H&H since this is an H&H action, my choices are limited. Here's my 375 and the mounts I went with on that rifle. They are nice because they don't hang over the ejection port anywhere. They fit great, but are kind of heavy but built like a tank:
[Linked Image]

I'd love to scope it with the Swaro that davidlea has in the classifieds. It is a 3-9x36 Habicht. That may not happen as it's a little spendy for my blood, but if I win the lottery that's the one I'd put on it grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool thread, BSA. I like the direction you're taking and wouldn't change a thing. It's going to be awesome. The Swaro 3-9x36 Habicht would be a good fit. I wonder how a fixed 6x42 scope would look on this rifle? It would probably do as well as a 3-9 variable and be more durable with potentially more ER? That barrel marking has me confounded...

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha. I have no clue as to what manufacture it is Eric. It looks like a "G", inside a micrometer to me. Maybe someone here knows...As far as scopes go, I don't need a lot of eye relief on my scopes. I like 3-9x40 as an all around flexible power range. Funny thing is, I may end up just throwing on one of my favorites and call it a day. However, If I can swing the money I may end up just buying davidlea's if he still has it. Sorry no poker face. I mean, he needs to lower the price on that damn scope and I'd buy it!!!!! grin whistle

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can only sit on snow for so long, eh BSA?!! lol.

Eric

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Google Armaloy of fortworth. Armaloy is a chromium coating mostly used on industrial equipment, but they do use it on firearms. It makes the gun come out a color some where in between pewter and stainless steal. It's actually quite pretty. I have a custom build 375 h&h in a brown precision stock that is armaloyed and it is sweet, adds a little bit of slickness to the action and is imperious to everything. You will just about destroy the gun before you damage the finish. Also all the parts are coated, so you gun is protected inside and out.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't Cerrakote the metal moving pieces, I would ask to have them Microslick'ed.. It is another Cerrakote product, that when sprayed on and allowed to air dry has been excellent for me. Very easy to apply and seems to be lasting very well. It only comes in Matte Black, but I am not sure it matters too much if you are just coating the bolt, raceways, internals, etc..

You can see the color difference in this rifle I did a few months ago. The Cerrakote color is Tungsten Grey I think, and the bolt and other pieces are the matte black of the Micro Slick.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome project and man, you are build what looks to be an awesome elk rifle in my opinion.

Last edited by beretzs; 12/09/14.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aguyinAK
Google Armaloy of fortworth. Armaloy is a chromium coating mostly used on industrial equipment, but they do use it on firearms. It makes the gun come out a color some where in between pewter and stainless steal. It's actually quite pretty. I have a custom build 375 h&h in a brown precision stock that is armaloyed and it is sweet, adds a little bit of slickness to the action and is imperious to everything. You will just about destroy the gun before you damage the finish. Also all the parts are coated, so you gun is protected inside and out.

Sounds like very good stuff. I may look into that..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I wouldn't Cerrakote the metal moving pieces, I would ask to have them Microslick'ed.. It is another Cerrakote product, that when sprayed on and allowed to air dry has been excellent for me. Very easy to apply and seems to be lasting very well. It only comes in Matte Black, but I am not sure it matters too much if you are just coating the bolt, raceways, internals, etc..

You can see the color difference in this rifle I did a few months ago. The Cerrakote color is Tungsten Grey I think, and the bolt and other pieces are the matte black of the Micro Slick.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome project and man, you are build what looks to be an awesome elk rifle in my opinion.

Thanks Scotty. I like how that one looks. I'll ask my cerakote guy if he has done that before. The color I'm wanting to go with on the rifle is graphite black with extra hardner for a glossier finish (although we know it won't be a gloss finish)..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
You can only sit on snow for so long, eh BSA?!! lol.

Eric

laugh

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Looking good BSA. Can't wait to see the finished project.

So which daughter isn't going to Europe now? smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
looks really good. Going to check into the armaloy myself.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You could go with my favorite combo--blued receiver so it will show honest wear and bead blasted stainless barrel. With the H&H action, you may want to rechamber to .340 so it will recoil harder ; )

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like you'll be busy for a bit. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
You could go with my favorite combo--blued receiver so it will show honest wear and bead blasted stainless barrel. With the H&H action, you may want to rechamber to .340 so it will recoil harder ; )

eek laugh All of my rifles show honest wear. I want this one to be different grin . I want to actually be able to use this one and not worry so much about it.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Looking good BSA. Can't wait to see the finished project.

So which daughter isn't going to Europe now? smile

They are both going in 2016. cry. Had to sell a couple of my favorite rifles to make it possible. They will be working and saving as well..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Looks like you'll be busy for a bit. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Thanks Ben. I'm hoping/thinking it will turn out pretty good. Fingers crossed...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
BSA....very cool project. I had an action just like that one. Originally a .300 H&H that somebody had punched out to Weatherby and ringed the barrel a couple inches from the muzzle. It was in a home made Weatherby style stock...truly hideous. The very best thing about it was the price, $275.00 in 1976. I traded the stock off for something and traded the tube off for something else and the action made several moves in our gypsy years. Finally in '87 I had a guy put it together.....Brown fiberglass stock and Lilja tube in .338 Win Mag. The only other rifle I had at the time was a 10.5 lb. '06, but only one scope between them. I used my .338 exclusively for 10 years and owned it for 20. It was inspired by reading lots of Keith, Hagel, and Bob Bell. Bell had 2 .338 rifles. His 2nd was on a pre '64 model 70, stainless tube, and glass stock. Black spray paint to take the shine off the barrel. grin

Yours is much nicer and more sophisticated. Can't wait to see the finished product!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dave, thanks for the story. I appreciate your positive thoughts regarding this project. I'm hoping I don't disappoint you guys and this thing turns out exactly as I'm picturing it... There's been a lot of good advice so far.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't stop laughing. I would of just bought a kimber anyhow thanks for a good chuckle...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This pre 64 is a better rifle.. You'll learn that one of these days. Thanks for the laugh on this end too laugh grin whistle If I would have wanted a Kimber, I would have bought it. I actually enjoy working on my rifles. wink Just part of being a rifle loony..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
This pre 64 is a better rifle.. You'll learn that one of these days. Thanks for the laugh on this end too laugh grin whistle If I would have wanted a Kimber, I would have bought it. I actually enjoy working on my rifles. wink Just part of being a rifle loony..

So what they can sit in a safe cause you cringe when the weather gets a little bad lol I have 7 stainless model 70 I will drag the worse [bleep] Alaska has to offer while your pretty pre 64 will sit in a safe lol you guys are a hoot. I'm sure this one will be fine for that horrendous oregon weather. Bsa still love you like a brother one day you will see the light.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm betting more rifles have been damaged in Oregon weather than Colorado's.

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A pre '64 model 70 is unique in how it feels when you run the bolt. Nothing wrong with a Kimber, but between the two, I'd take the pre '64.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This pre 64 is a better rifle...

That's the way I see it, too. smile Nothing wrong with your choice of actions. Though you could have bought one of those rifles with the molded metal parts. whistle

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm betting more rifles have been damaged in Oregon weather than Colorado's.

Lol beats me I haven't hunted here bud. My last 5 1/2 yrs was spent in Alaska hunting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Nice project!

Friends and I built 3-4 pre 64 338's about like yours back in the 80's using Brown Precision stocks and Krieger tubes.Weight was about the same.

I would drill the scope base holes out to 8/40's.. I had seen these rifles chew though the standard screws and snap one off now and then with enough shooting.The 8/40's stood up to the pounding.

My pre 64 270 got hunted yesterday in a nor'easter....it's fine. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

So what they can sit in a safe cause you cringe when the weather gets a little bad lol I have 7 stainless model 70 I will drag the worse [bleep] Alaska has to offer while your pretty pre 64 will sit in a safe lol you guys are a hoot. I'm sure this one will be fine for that horrendous oregon weather. Bsa still love you like a brother one day you will see the light.

79s, you are a great guy sometimes grin. I know you like the stainless classics and they are great rifles, but I'm a pre 64 lover to the bone. I just love how they cycle, feed and eject and they have always been extremely accurate. They also go up in value as they sit in the safe too. Just something to think about.. wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Friends and I built 3-4 pre 64 338's about like yours back in the 80's using Brown Precision stocks and Krieger tubes.Weight was about the same.

I would drill the scope base holes out to 8/40's.. I had seen these rifles chew though the standard screws and snap one off now and then with enough shooting.The 8/40's stood up to the pounding.

Thanks for the advice Bob. You are probably right. However, I think I will leave it as is unless I have problems with it. I also plan on running some Talley lightweights and a Zeiss diavari 3-9x36 or Swarovski 3-9x36. Still haven't made up my mind on that one. Then again, don't be surprised if I end up putting a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex on it... blush

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

79s, you are a great guy sometimes grin. I know you like the stainless classics and they are great rifles, but I'm a pre 64 lover to the bone. I just love how they cycle, feed and eject and they have always been extremely accurate. They also go up in value as they sit in the safe too. Just something to think about.. wink

Nope I will stick to the classics... grin oh and I'm
A great guy all the time.

Last edited by 79S; 12/10/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[quote=bsa1917hunterThanks Scotty. I like how that one looks. I'll ask my cerakote guy if he has done that before. The color I'm wanting to go with on the rifle is graphite black with extra hardner for a glossier finish (although we know it won't be a gloss finish)..[/quote]

Every color of Cerrakote can be done in Matte, Satin or Gloss, just as you mentioned, depending on the amount of hardener applied. I believe that rifle pictured is a Satin finish. I did matte on an old Model 70 of mine in graphite black.. It looks like a piece of charcoal but it is certainly as described!

Good luck with the project.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is the barrel a McGowan stamp?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wish I knew????????? crazy

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I met with my cerakote guy today. He showed me a midnight blue rifle (he did for a guy) and we compared it to the graphite black and I've decided to go with the midnight blue. I like the color and more glossy appearance better. I messed around with one of my Tupperware stocks yesterday and decided on a color I'll do myself on the Bansner (High tech specialties). Here's what the bansner should look like when I'm done: Upper rifle. Except it will have the same style of recoil pad as the lower rifle:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Can't wait to see how the mignight blue turns out on this rifle. Should be top notch, but we'll see. I sent the money yesterday, for the scope of my dreams grin whistle. Never had a Swarovski before, but it should work out nicely. I didn't want to be too top heavy since this stock is so light. The Talley lightweigh's will also help in that regard.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This won't apply to your current project but have you ever considered melonite coating? I built a 280 ak for a guy in Alaska and I don't know a harder man on a rifle the him. He is an avid sheep hunter and packs his rifle miles and miles. The coating is holding up really well. You can also use the fancy coatings ove melonite. The sako I did for myself is unbelievably slick and a mod 70 would be also.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've heard melonite coating is very durable. I need to talk to my cerakote guy and see if he's consider doing some of these other processes. Thanks for the suggestion.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That midnight blue is going to be badass!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Midnight blue is real nice. It's probably my favorite.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Thanks for the advice Bob. You are probably right. However, I think I will leave it as is unless I have problems with it. I also plan on running some Talley lightweights and a Zeiss diavari 3-9x36 or Swarovski 3-9x36. Still haven't made up my mind on that one. Then again, don't be surprised if I end up putting a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex on it... blush

BSA, where are you planning on picking up the Zeiss Diavari 3-9x36?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Local dirt. I ended up buying the Swaro from Davidlea. He's away, so I'm doing the waiting game. Red pachmayr decelerator looks great. I just finished my stock paint tonight and I just picked up the rifle from my cerakote guy. The rifle looks damn good and the bolt jeweling is second to none. This guy really out did himself!!! I like the midnight blue cerakote too. I also glass bed the rifle before I had it cerakoted. Bought some Talley lightweights from ebay and have those now. My camera is crappy and gone, so after Christmas I'll have some good pictures (with new camera) of the complete rifle. Hopefully I have the scope before then whistle .

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looking forward to seeing it when you have it assembled. I think I'll go lightweight Talleys on my next bolt rifle.
Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear it's progressing nicely, BSA! I'm looking forward to the pics!! Happy holidays!

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a great project, I really like it! I had a long conversation with Adam Weatherby at an NRA convention about the then new at the time, stainless Weatherby Mark V's. He swore that for purely taking abuse in horrific conditions, the old Weatherby Alaskans had it all over the new stainless steel models. These were essentially coated with electroless nickel. The same as Metaloy, Armaloy, and the other electroless nickel coating purveyors. This stuff is super slick, and supposedly more rust resistant than stainless steel. If I were trying to weather proof a blued rifle, that is the route I would strongly consider.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geesh, now you tell me laugh. Just kidding. I had it in my head that I wanted to give my cerakote guy some more work since the last ones he did for me came out perfect. I couldn't wait for my new camera and took some pre pictures with my Garmin 550 Oregon GPS. Hope you guys like it. Sorry in advance for the chit poor photos: Garmin GPS sick :

Let me start off by saying it is a heavy sob pre 64 yada yada yada.... At least it's bedded right laugh.... Always start with a good "foundation":
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Recoil pad didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. I'll do the next one, as I was looking for perfection and my smith disappointed me here: He let his trainee do it mad
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I did the paint job on the stock. Good plastic/synthetic clear primer and then brown rustoleum and stone texture paint:
[Linked Image]

No problem mounting the Talleys:
[Linked Image]

Take a look at my cerakote guys bolt jeweling work. I really like it!!:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/DSC00132_zpsf880d3d8.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/DSC00133_zpse300e0cf.jpg[/img]

Still waiting on the Swaro whistle I'll have some better pictures after X-mas wink I can't wait to take this thing out elk hunting next year!!

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That cerakote looks really good!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. The pictures suck, so it's really hard to get the full effect. He did a superb job on the midnight blue cerakote. I'm pretty happy with it...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That turned out really very nice, congratulations on a job well done! I am very impressed with the paint jobs you do on those tupperware stocks. They look like a much classier and more expensive stock after you do your magic on them. I would love to see an easy tutorial on stock painting for the unhandy types such as myself-lol.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the compliment ULA. This is a bansner, so it doesn't really qualify as a "Tupperware" stock grin . However, I have been known to glass bed and paint tupperwares grin

BSA MAGA
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The photos are very good. Is that stone-flecked paint as rough as it appears? Looks grippy like sandpaper!

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks pal, I get a new camera for x-mas. As for the stock: I wanted it real grippy as the wet weather here where I hunt is a real PITA during elk season. I packed around a similar rifle last year and decided I hated the slick paint job High tech specialties applied. It was a shame because I really like the ergos of the Bansner stock. I think it's one of Brad's favorites as well, probably because it is very similar to the Montana's factory stock. Like ULA mentioned earlier about the tupperwares I've painted, my hunting rifles have this same type of paint scheme and texture. It's not really too bad like sandpaper though because I go over the rustoleum stone texture paint with the brown rustoleum and then lightly mist more texture over that. It makes for a real nice grip that also doesn't rub your face raw when you shoot it. Here are the tupperwares that ULA mentioned:

Stainless classic 7mm rem mag:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sniper grey cerakoted classic sporter 30-06:
[Linked Image]

I hunt these rifles so I like them grippy to a certain extent grin. Again, sorry for the GPS photos, I'll have some better ones (and hopefully my new Swaro) after x-mas..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Work looks real nice, we usually have just the opposite weather here in NM. Except for this years archery elk season. I had rain of some fashion, from light mist to rain of biblical proportion, on 7 of my 8 days hunting! looking forward to seeing the finished product all scoped up and ready to go.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Razz. I also look forward to getting and trying out the Swaro that I bought from davidlea. The package should weight right at 7 3/4 pounds. I'm hoping that's not too light for a 338 elk killin machine grin . I'll know after the first 3 shots. I'm also hoping the scope doesn't fly off. I'll know then that I should have listened to Bob's advice about going to 8-40 screws on the scope mounts. We'll see grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the compliment ULA. This is a bansner, so it doesn't really qualify as a "Tupperware" stock grin . However, I have been known to glass bed and paint tupperwares grin

Sorry about that mistake. I have seen the bedding and paint jobs you do on some tupperware stocks, it is very impressive. I have tried painting tupperware stocks, and they still look like painted tupperware stocks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks awesome, BSA! The cerakote turned out well, and the bolt jeweling is sweet! You put together a real sharp rifle!!

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. Happy holidays to you too. Hope you are having a great time with your family. My new Swaro is supposed to ship out tomorrow. Hopefully this rifle shoots as good as my more original 338 Alaskan. I'll keep you posted one way or the other. I might have to start a thread to see how much that rifle is worth: IE: buddy to buddy sale.... wink

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking rifle .. Hope it shoots for you as well...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What exact product/brand are you using for the plastic primer underneath?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good question. I've used the dupli color clear primer on the Tupperware stocks with great success, so I figured I'd try it on this Bansner. It helps the paint stick to the plastic stocks better. It sprays on clear and fills very well. When it drys, you can't tell it has the primer on it. I also use a small heated room for my paint booth. This helps tremendously in the winter time. I'm getting anxious to get my new camera and Swarovski scope so I can show you guys what this thing really looks like...I was actually thinking of you (DakotaDeer) on this rifle because you've been talking about light pre 64's for a while. Albeit, this isn't a super lightweight like a Kimber montana it sure holds it's own against, say, a new Extreme weather model 70 and the likes. It should top the scales at 7 3/4 pounds all up when done. It will be pretty light (probably lighter than I really want it) for a 338...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks buddy. Happy holidays to you too. Hope you are having a great time with your family. My new Swaro is supposed to ship out tomorrow. Hopefully this rifle shoots as good as my more original 338 Alaskan. I'll keep you posted one way or the other. I might have to start a thread to see how much that rifle is worth: IE: buddy to buddy sale.... wink

Thanks, BSA. It's great to be back home for the holidays! You're going to have a killer setup once the Swaro is installed. Keep me posted bud! Happy holidays to you and your family! smile

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Eric.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
BSA--I want the light pre-64, but I'll let you shoot the one in 338! I have worked extensively with a 6.3 pound bare Win70 in 30-06, and that's about all I think I could stand for "fun."

I'm working toward a light Classic FWT 243 now, so the pre64 idea is sort of on hold.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Featherweight .30-06 weighs 7.2 lbs without the scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is real clear I need another project or two. I'm having project envy, great stuff as always BSA1917!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
BSA--I want the light pre-64, but I'll let you shoot the one in 338! I have worked extensively with a 6.3 pound bare Win70 in 30-06, and that's about all I think I could stand for "fun."

I'm working toward a light Classic FWT 243 now, so the pre64 idea is sort of on hold.

grin... We've been trying to tell you. I'll let you guys know how much this one hurts the shoulder sick. I'm hoping the ergos of the bansner helps to absorb a lot of the recoil. Like I've said before, the last time I had my 338 Alaskan out I fired 40 rounds thru it off the bench. I also fired 40 7mm rem mag and 35 rounds of 30-06 (fwt) that day. My fwt's weigh in the neighborhood of 7 3/4 pounds all up and they are very manageable, but we know the 338 is a kicker. Let's just hope it doesn't pound my azz into the dirt shocked. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the comments guys...

BSA MAGA
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
...I'm hoping the ergos of the bansner helps to absorb a lot of the recoil...

whistle

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The Bansner stock is an excellent stock and very comfortable for shooting. It's very similar to the Kimber Montana factory stock in design. When I had my classic sporter 30-06 in one it was great shooting off the bench.

[Linked Image]

I think it will be quite manageable. Again, we'll see. Wish me luck Pal laugh

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Outstanding looking piece..... cool

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just mounted the Swaro. I like the glass, now I need a good camera. I'll shoot the ol girl after X-mas wink. Hopefully it shoots as good as my Alaskan... smile

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I snuck my X-mas present out from under the tree. Don't tell my wife. Here are a little better pictures than my dang garmin GPS grin. Hope all you Winchester loving ol guys have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0023_zps9439641f.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0015_zpsb5e5ce71.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0011_zps03bddd70.jpg[/img]

Bought this on sunday the 7th of December and it's complete today. Weighs a hair less than 8 pounds all up right now and it should work out great for next years elk hunt. Feels damn good and well balanced and I really like the glass. I'm hoping it shoots well. We'll see after Christmas.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Very cool! Who did the cerakote?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A good guy by the name of Jeremy Smith. He lives 12 miles from me, so it's very convenient to use his services. He works in Hood River as a machinist and does the cerakote as a side business. He also did the bolt jeweling. He's done a few rifles for me now and I'm extremely happy with his work. I was hoping you would like this one. It really reminds me of my 270 fwt that has the McMillan on it that I bought from you. I was kind of trying to go with that scheme with this rifle.

BSA MAGA
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice Christmas present for you.

Merry Christmas.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of my favorite threads. I love all of your Winchesters but especially this one. I too am looking to build a model 70 like this for elk hunting. I basically destroyed my featherweight 30-06 this year Elk hunting. It got soaked for a week straight and damn near gave me a heart attack worrying about it. Time to get a synthetic stock and a paint job.

Could you expand a little more on how you paint your stocks, they look friggn great! I have a factory tupperware stock that is going to get painted. Also, does your cerakote guy accept work from guys out of state? I've had some really really crappy jobs done here in town.

Last edited by STS45; 12/24/14.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice. Hard not to like how it came out.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by STS45
One of my favorite threads. I love all of your Winchesters but especially this one. I too am looking to build a model 70 like this for elk hunting. I basically destroyed my featherweight 30-06 this year Elk hunting. It got soaked for a week straight and damn near gave me a heart attack worrying about it. Time to get a synthetic stock and a paint job.

Could you expand a little more on how you paint your stocks, they look friggn great! I have a factory tupperware stock that is going to get painted. Also, does your cerakote guy accept work from guys out of state? I've had some really really crappy jobs done here in town.

Thanks a lot guys. I was hoping I wasn't boring you to death with all the crappy pictures. My new camera looks to be a lot better so you can see the work a little better. I'm extremely happy with this one and it didn't take much work on my end. Just bedding and painting the stock. The rest of the work my cerakote guy handled. I'm hoping I went with the right scope, but the glass seems to be excellent. We'll see how it works out in the field next November. My smith says the barrel was installed by someone that really knew what they were doing. We checked the lugs for contact and they are both dead nuts. He thinks it will be a shooter. I just don't know what to expect. I'll load something up and probably shoot it this weekend. We'll see how the weather is.

As for the Cerakote, the guy that does this for me is a great guy to deal with and I asked him if I could give his name out here and he said for sure. He said he does about 6 or 7 rifles per week. His turn around time is excellent and he cares about his customers needs and the quality of work is top notch. I've hunted my other cerakoted rifles and they show little to no wear. The rifle in the above picture on the rock with the light colored bansner stock is another one he cerakoted for me a couple years ago. It's amazing how well the stuff is holding up. As for painting stock: When I paint a stock, I use a heated room as a paint booth. I sand as per usual and let the paint dry between coats. I have used automobile primer before, but have found the clear primer for plastics and synthetics seems to grab the paint better. Somewhat baking it on also helps a lot. I've had numerous PM's about my cerakote guy. I don't really want to give out his information in an open thread because he's not a site sponsor or anything like that. However, if anyone would like his info I'll be glad to pass it along. He has an FFL so he accepts firearms etc...

BSA MAGA
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
On the new camera, set the aperture to ~f8, use a tripod with remote release, plenty of light (no flash), and focus manually.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was going to mention your photos as being excellent. I especially like the one of your fwt. I'll mess around with this one and see if I can adjust the aperture, I know it has a manual focus option. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys, I snuck my X-mas present out from under the tree. Don't tell my wife. Here are a little better pictures than my dang garmin GPS grin. Hope all you Winchester loving ol guys have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0023_zps9439641f.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0015_zpsb5e5ce71.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0011_zps03bddd70.jpg[/img]

Bought this on sunday the 7th of December and it's complete today. Weighs a hair less than 8 pounds all up right now and it should work out great for next years elk hunt. Feels damn good and well balanced and I really like the glass. I'm hoping it shoots well. We'll see after Christmas.
That turned out beautifully, BSA!! Super cool!! cool

Eric

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I even like the allen-head guard screws!
Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like it came out pretty cool, hopefully it shoots.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sweet rifle, BSA. I really love how that cerakote color turned out with the matte/satin finish.

I've been considering a similar color combo on a stainless classic. It's in a McMillan Hunter with edge fill that is gray with black speckles.

How does the midnight blue look next to sniper gray?

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
drano, let me get a picture of the sniper grey next to the midnight blue cerakote. The midnight blue looks a lot like graphite black, but a little more glossy. I sold my graphite black cerakoted rifle so I can't take a picture of all 3 next to each other for comparison...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drano 25
Sweet rifle, BSA. I really love how that cerakote color turned out with the matte/satin finish.

I've been considering a similar color combo on a stainless classic. It's in a McMillan Hunter with edge fill that is gray with black speckles.

Here's a comparison shot for the sniper grey and midnight blue cerakote:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bottom rifle is sniper grey. Hope this helps...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I shot the new rifle today. I had planned on shooting some loads that I loaded up this morning. I figured I'd shoot some of my loads that were worked up for my Alaskan, just to get it dialed in. I shot more of those loads today than I figured I would. They seemed to shoot pretty good. I'll shoot some of those other loads at a later date. Here's the load data for my 338 Alaskan:

225 gr. Hornady sp interlock
71.5 gr. H4350
Nickel plated R-P brass
CCI 250
3.370" OAL
2,867 fps average velocity (in 338 Alaskan)

First 3 shot group after getting on paper. First shot was from old look thru bore method bore sighting. Adjusted the scope down 8 clicks for 3 shot group:
[Linked Image]

Second group:
[Linked Image]

3rd group:
[Linked Image]

4th group:
[Linked Image]

As you can see, the Swaro was not tracking very well. Even the first adjustment down (8 clicks) was not correct. I adjusted 3 clicks to the left after the third group and it went too far. I then adjusted it 1 click to the right for this last group. 10 shots fired. I screwed up the 8th shot. Entirely my fault:
[Linked Image]

I look forward to seeing how it likes the 250gr. sierra gameking loads I worked up this morning. I fired off 25 rounds today and these are the results. As always, trying to keep it honest here....I see a lot of potential in this rifle and don't know why anyone would get rid of something like this. It feels like one of my fwt's as it weighs right at 8 pounds all up (with ammo). With ammo means it holds 5 rounds wink. Here's the rifle on the stock template which helps to show the ergos/drop at heel, length of fore end, length of grip, etc. etc...:
[Linked Image]

Like Brad has said, the parallel comb helps to mitigate recoil. This one was not bad to shoot off the bench for a light 338. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why did you choose to jewel the bolt rather than have it coated?

Can you take a picture comparing the two forends of the factory vs. Bansner stocks? From the front and the bottom? How do they compare as far as being "round" vs. "flat?"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really like the jeweling. It's a nice contrast to the cerakote, plus it's much slicker than just cerakoting the whole bolt. It may be hard to tell from pictures if there is any difference between the bansner and factory Alaskan stock. I have some old pictures of my 338 Alaskan that I can dig up:

Factory Alaskan stock:
[Linked Image]

All of these stocks are more "rounded" at the forends. No flat bottoms like the Ruger 77's.....

If you are asking about the factory Tupperware on the Classic sporter vs the bansner, I can get pics of those. Let me know which "factory" stock pictures you need..

Another thing about the bolt jeweling: I wanted my smith to hide the old crappy jeweling job. He did a great job. Look at what he had to work with:

[Linked Image]

Now look at what it looks like now:
[Linked Image]

Sometimes you have to go with your gut and sometimes you have to deal with what's given to you..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you are asking about the factory Tupperware on the Classic sporter vs the bansner, I can get pics of those.

Yes, that's what I'm asking. I like a really slim rounded forend, and that Bansner looks like it might have it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The bansner isn't real slim, but the stock is ridiculously light. Around 24 OZ's.... It's lighter than the stock on my 270 fwt. That's just a hunters compact with the standard fill though. For shooting off the bench, the bansner is definitely more comfortable. Here's some pics to tide you over while I get some more for you:

Bansner on pre 64 338:
[Linked Image]

Bansner on classic sporter:
[Linked Image]

Factory Tupperware on classic sporter:
[Linked Image]

Honestly if you are looking for really trim at the forend, the Mcmillan hunters compact is pretty slim. If you get that with the edge fill, it's pretty light as well:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The jeweling looks 1000x better than what you started with. It looks great!

Eric

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a Edge Compact, but did not like it well enough to keep it. Nice forend, but the rest was not shaped to fit me. I did not like the extreme flatness under the mag box on an ADL version, and I find the drop at heel to be far too much for a modern scoped rifle, and always want a small cheekpiece.

The Bansner on your 338 looks like what I want on the rear end. Honestly, what I love are Brown Precision classics, but if the Bansner was awfully close, it is significantly cheaper.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you are asking about the factory Tupperware on the Classic sporter vs the bansner, I can get pics of those.

Yes, that's what I'm asking. I like a really slim rounded forend, and that Bansner looks like it might have it.

These forends aren't really slim. The McMillan hunters compact is slimmer as I said before. You are also right about the factory Tupperware, in that it is flatter on the bottom:

Factory synthetic from a classic sporter:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bansner on the pre 64 338:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0076_zpsce78ab5a.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0077_zps9699553d.jpg[/img]

Hope that helps DD....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had a Edge Compact, but did not like it well enough to keep it. Nice forend, but the rest was not shaped to fit me. I did not like the extreme flatness under the mag box on an ADL version, and I find the drop at heel to be far too much for a modern scoped rifle, and always want a small cheekpiece.

The Bansner on your 338 looks like what I want on the rear end. Honestly, what I love are Brown Precision classics, but if the Bansner was awfully close, it is significantly cheaper.

DD, will this be for a new haven classic or pre 64?? I had a brown precision stock for a new haven classic sporter and that was a nice stock. I sold it on ebay just like this (without the recoil pad) for I think $200.00:

I liked the ergo's of it, but decided to just keep using the Tupperware blush...:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by drano 25

Here's a comparison shot for the sniper grey and midnight blue cerakote:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bottom rifle is sniper grey. Hope this helps...

Wow, thanks for that. Both look great, think I have a slight preference for the gray with the brown stock.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
DD, will this be for a new haven classic or pre 64??

Thanks so much for the pics. The Bansner looks nice and round, but not really slim. I have a couple of Browns on Remington actions, and they are perfect for my fit, and very slim in the forend.

Since this would be going on a FWT (either a short classic, a long pushfeed, or a pre64), I need to ask Bansner if they can do a trimmer forend. I think they have a "sheep hunter" version that is trim, but then it eliminates the cheekpiece that I really like.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd call High Tech Specialties and let them know what you are looking for. I'm sure they would be glad to help. One thing I noticed with the bansner on my classic sporter is that it needed a lot of work to get it to where it fit perfect. I believe Mcmillan inlets their stocks better, thus less work on our end. I knew that about the High Tech Specialties stocks going into it, but figured I'd give you the heads up. Have you considered a brown "pounder". I think that is one of BobinNH's favorite stocks on the pre 64's. There's also the very hard to find (because winpoor has all of them grin...) pacific research rimrock (Borden) stock that is very nice. The forend's may still be a little fatter than you want, but the drop at the heel/comb are not as much as the Mcmillan hunters compact. Good luck with your project DD. Please post some pictures of some of your stuff when you can. Sounds like you are trying to get things put together in your mind for a real nice model 70. Next step is to make it come alive wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
To me the Banser and Brown are a little fuller through the for end than I like. Both have high, straight combs that are comfy to shoot but the grip on the Browns is ever so slightly thinner. Both are light but the Pound'R is the lightest. I can live with the for end.

The Pound'R is very stiff; stiffer than a McMillan. It's all Kevlar far as I know. I would let Brown bed/install it. It isn't cheap.

I have had the Brown's in calibers to 375H&H. Today in any magnum chambering from 7 mag up, I want the Echols stock or Borden RR if you can find one...but of course the Bansner and Brown are both good too.

I think the pre 64 Bansner stock has a cheekpiece; the Classic does not IIRC. Pre 64's have a higher bolt handle lift than Classics so the scope might have to be swung a bit further over to clear the bolt handle. The cheekpiece helps you stay behind the scope better,also helps prevent canting.

I would not want a Brown Pound'R in anything bigger than a 7 mag....they are stiff and will transmit that recoil. Plus they are light and snappy. In a 270/280 they are perfect.

I agree the McMillan Compact comb could be higher and straighter; but I have a longish face so they fit me OK with a low mounted scope. I carry a rifle under the floor plate and the narrow profile feels good.Again best in 270/280 type cartridge
es.

If Bansner's are still made the way they were when I had them, they come with integral fiberglass pillars. These will not shoot "loose".and action screws come to a dead stop when tightened.This contributes to good accuracy and stable maintenance of POI. I have had Bansners where the action screws never loosened after 5-6 years active shooting and hunting, until the barrel quit. Very reliable.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/27/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the very informative post Bob. As per usual, it is much appreciated. You are correct in that the pre 64 Bansner has a cheek piece and the classic doesn't. That seems odd to me. I'm wondering why they decided to do that??? I also saw a stock in the classifieds today that looks exactly like mine and the OP said it's a "brown precision". DD also saw that one. I'm thinking the op may be wrong, or maybe I'm wrong about my stock. To me, it has all the features and profiles as the Bansner pre 64 stock. It looks exactly like the ones pictured on their website. Bob, are these that similar that they would look exactly the same? My stock is extremely light (25 OZ's) with glass bedding. Is there a chance it may be a Brown precision?

Not to change the subject, but I'm in the reloading room right now and getting a chuckle about the groups I shot yesterday with the new rifle. This nickel brass is once fired in my old Ruger m77 338 Win mag, loads worked up in the Alaskan and now fired in this rifle..... I was also thinking about starting a thread titled "first groups/first impressions". I remember and have records of the first group fired in every rifle I own/sold. Some have done better than others, but about 98% of them printed less than an inch. This one is one of them and it turned in a very respectable .566" group. Re-cap on that one:

[Linked Image]

I think I'm going to hang on to this one Bob... wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hot damn, nice shooting BSA!!!

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
Hot damn, nice shooting BSA!!!

Eric

Thanks buddy. Here's the second group after a little scope adjustment. Just incase you didn't see it on the other page of this thread:

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty tickled about this rifle Eric.

BSA MAGA
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How will you deal with that terrible stringing? wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It was windy yesterday... whistle laugh

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It was windy yesterday... whistle laugh

I'm certainly glad that you were able to figure that one out, BSA.

Nice shooting.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha.. Thanks for the comments guys.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That will definitely work!! Are you liking the Swaro glass?

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the Swaro glass. However, it doesn't seem to track as well as it should for a high dollar scope. I'll know more about how I like it on it's first elk hunting trip. After all, once it's dialed in, I shouldn't need to mess with the turrets anymore after that. Most of my shots on elk around here are sub 100 yards anyway, but in dark timber. I'm thinking it will work perfectly for it's intended purpose. A few more range trips and some load development and this ol girl is going to sing, trust me on that grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rifle BSA, excellent job of putting it together too. I really like that cerakote job. Sure shoots good too. You are giving me ideas about a 338. cool

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the posting BSA, it's been fun to follow along, a great looking rig. Between the kids and I we have 7 swaro Z3's and really like them. The one on my 300 H&H/legend hasn't been adjusted for 5 years......it just keeps printing little groups and killing elk.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BSA, This has been a fun post to follow, all Im going to say is you have made me take my 300 win mag pre 64 out of the safe and start hunting a stock! I wish it was not so dam nice, I would take it in to ceracoat! Im going to really work it out on the bench today as I have shot it very little, find out what she will do! very best WinPoor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lookin good!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
BSA, This has been a fun post to follow, all Im going to say is you have made me take my 300 win mag pre 64 out of the safe and start hunting a stock! I wish it was not so dam nice, I would take it in to ceracoat! Im going to really work it out on the bench today as I have shot it very little, find out what she will do! very best WinPoor

Thanks winpoor ol buddy. I wouldn't have cerakoted this one, but I was looking for a good strong weather resistant option that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Plus the bluing on this one was worn thin. The guy that does mine lives 12 miles away from me and his turn around time is less than a week, that even includes the bolt jeweling, which I think is some of the nicest work I've seen. He takes his time and really does it right, even though his turnaround time is super quick. I'll be honest, I have loved the 338 win mag for a long time and this rifle is just about perfect for what I want to use it for. I've never really taken the "light" rifle plunge, but this one seems pretty light to me for a 338, but still surprisingly manageable. I need to develop some loads with some of my 250gr. sierra gamekings and see if I can get consistent sub moa groups like I got with my Ruger m77 MKII. When I get a good load worked up, I'm going to shoot Carl Ross' positional drill match for practice and see how she does in different field positions. I'm looking forward to that, it should be interesting... This thread has been fun for me, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it too. Thanks...

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A great post; I was getting impatient waiting for the completed photos! And it groups superbly, like all your rifles. Been thinking of building a do-all, indestructible .30-06 along the lines of what you did...only thing I'd change would be using a Meopta scope, maybe. A nice addition to your safe, Sir!
Bob
PS- Is the recoil noticeable at that weight?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the interest and kind words. It sure has been fun. I'm glad I finally got a better camera too. Hopefully the latest pictures are a little better. To answer your question Bob: I'll be as honest as I can here:

This 30-06 weighed the same:
[Linked Image]

and recoil felt a little worse. Due greatly to the stock shape and design.

Brad brought this to my attention a long time ago and mentioned the parallel comb as being great at minimizing felt recoil. I have to say I totally agree with him. Compare these stocks:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

By the way, BobinNH and DakotaDeer and I believe thekid (who deleted his post, I have a good memory huh grin ) think this stock is a Brown precision, which shares a lot of the same features/looks as the Bansner but it has a slimmer wrist. I like the stock design a lot regardless of whether it is a Bansner or Brown Precision.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree that this has been enjoyable to follow. I'm intrigued by the stock contour template and itching to make one up, just to see how my current toys compare. I once had a push feed M70 in 300 WM that was downright abusive to shoot. Would have been interesting to see where it laid out. Thanks for keeping us up on your progress with this.

Razz
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree that template is super cool and really makes it easier to see the differences in stocks.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with you guys about the stock template. Utah708 designed that. You'll find dimensions of the template on this thread:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5534487/1

I've tried to push this template idea of Utah's along, but it seems like no one wants to take the time to make one up. It is an incredibly useful tool.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks!!!

Razz
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 338 looks good buddy! Seems like it is trucking with those 225 Hornady's as well..

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread BSA, looks like great and fun project.

Gerry.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's been very enjoyable guys. Thanks for the compliments. This one is a keeper!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your project rifle has certainly turned out well - nice pictures, nice rifle.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.