Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Razz
All this talk is killing me. My 338 is not here and I'm thinking 270 or how to reclaim the '06 my son has. As for my 338, looks like Cabelas finally hit my CC last night so it should be moving my way. :-)!!

Damn those guys at Cabela's. Seems like they are dragging their feet. grin. I might be running off to Cabela's to pick one up in person tomorrow..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Razz Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

[/quote]

Damn those guys at Cabela's. Seems like they are dragging their feet. grin. I might be running off to Cabela's to pick one up in person tomorrow.. [/quote]

Just stay away from the Tulalip Washington store! wink

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just talked to the Mr. Bickle at the post falls store and they are all out of the 7x57 limited edition supergrades that are selling for $899.99...I'll be hitting the Tulalip store next... laugh whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Razz, good luck with your new 338. I'll bet you are going to love it. I just bought another one. When I'm done with it, I'll post a few pics... wink whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those have good handling characteristics. Good luck with the face basher, amigo.

IC B2

Razz Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks BSA, no before pictures? I plan on running some before and after for my photo "archives", did that with the flinters I've built (and am building) for fun.

Slavek, not worried about face bashing. As a scrawny kid I grew up shooting 1oz slugs from my shotgun, graduated to rifles and large cal muzzleloaders, currently working on a 62 cal. My current 338 came with a removable brake, first rime I touched it off hunting was enough, off it came and the cap protecting the threads has been there ever since. Lots of rounds downrange leads to a few when hunting, no recoil issues here. Plus, I'm not so scrawny anymore.;-)

This waiting on Cabelas is frustrating, lets just say I'm not impressed with their lack of communication and reply.

Razz
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Razz, are you having it shipped from one store to another closer to you? I have been waiting almost a month for one to get here. The receiving store doesn't have information till it hits their door and the store where it came from only knows they sent it. Customer service doesn't have anything to do with firearms. Frustrating. mad

***Update to above. Called my local store today, again, and talked to the firearms manager. He said he would try to trace it down. Called me back and said it's been in their vault for over 2 weeks! I'd like to tell them to shove it, but.............I want it. smirk
So if you don't hear anything about your .338 soon, call and bug them.

Last edited by tmitch; 12/08/14.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Razz Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks Tmitch, mine is coming to my local FFL holder, nearest Cabelas is up in Denver. Will keep after them

Razz
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You should be good then. Supposedly the Cabelas that shipped mine didn't send any paperwork to tell my local store why they were getting it. Good luck with your .338!

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, it sounds like I did the right thing in driving 300 miles to the Cabelas yesterday to pick mine up. I also bought a couple other things I needed and luckily it was on sale. Damn sure don't like paying sales tax, but at least the rifle is here at home!!

As to slavek. Does he ever make any sense? I kind of like the bigger calibers. Started out on a 30-06 when I was 12 and have been using a 338 win mag for elk hunting for the last 20 years. They shoot just fine if you know how to handle them. I also love my 9.3x62mm:

[Linked Image]

338:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What did you pick up BSA? You been talking about so many, I lost track! The H&H? 52B? LH Win mag? confused
I don't find my .338 M70 very punishing either. I've had lesser calibers hurt more, but mostly due to their stock design.

Charter Member

szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes, yes, yes...What was the question again.. laugh . I went with my gut and what I thought was the best deal. I also have a love for 338 win mag so that seemed like the logical choice..

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

338:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you discount the fliers they're pretty good groups. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Razz Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well got a call from my smith yesterday, the gun has arrived. True to form, while I am out of town! He said she checks out well, headspace and mechanically all good. Can't wait to lay hands on it and start playing. What bothers me is some of you run off and buy one off the rack, pull it apart and show us pictures of your plans and progress while I'm off earning a living! ;-)

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's all in fun. I'm also "earning a living"....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool rifle, 338's seem to be the hot ticket around here lately

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, seems like some of us got the bug for some reason. Who know's why??? The name "Alaskan" makes it sound cool. Personally I really like the cartridge. When you say elk rifle around here, guys just automatically think you said "338"... grin

BSA MAGA
Razz Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It's all in fun. I'm also "earning a living"....

Oh I know, just pokin fun while waitin to get home and pick mine up.

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.... grin. Lets talk ammo, what are you going to run in it? Do you handload???

BSA MAGA
Razz Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
My current 338 likes 210 Partitions pushed by RL19, need to check my records but 79 grains is in my head. 2 elk, 1 mulie and a couple whitetais didn't like the load much though. Was going to go over my other loads and targets to see what else looked promising. My load development for the gun was back about 12 years ago so I need to look over my data. Have some 225's I'll try too. What so you like in yours?

Razz
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.