Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
it's not so much that I 'favor' one over the other. I find that hand held lights and head lamps are both needed.

Same here. Keep both handy if I can.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I recall climbing a tree with a mag-light held in my teeth....those were the days...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Absolutely indespensible for waterfowlhunting. Especially setting out a diver spread

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Been there done that

Me, too. Just the once, and never again!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I go with the headlamps. I haven't invested in the good high end stuff yet, but I think that day's coming. I would like to get one with adjustable brightness. Like others, the days of holding a light in my mouth to keep my hands free are done.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Headlamps and a little consideration for others is my preferred option..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a couple of good ones, multiple Energizers from Walmart (surprisingly good, but not light), and even the ones that clip on the bill of your cap. Kind of an addiction honestly, probably have 6-7 headlamps and as many of the clip ons - but they are dang handy and nice to have one in the truck, in the camper, by the grill, in my duck blind bag, ...! All work great for what they are needed for.

Still have many flashlights for when more light is needed, not needing my light to be hands free, etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My problem with the headlamp I have is that it reflects off the back of my glasses. Very annoying. Have any of you tried one with an extended lens like this one? It might be slightly heavier but it would get the light out in front of my glasses and should eliminate the glare.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer headlamps for most of what I do, from working in crawlspaces to walking to and from a hunt.

Where handheld lights win is in brightness, control of beam and in fitting easily into a pocket. Headlamps with all their straps and bulky battery packs don't pocket so well when you're out on the town and include a flashlight in your EDC.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The few clipon's that I have tried, were not bright enough. I miss my old coon hunting light (wheat), but the battery quit and I was not using it enough to warrant replacing it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Use both....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
The few clipon's that I have tried, were not bright enough. I miss my old coon hunting light (wheat), but the battery quit and I was not using it enough to warrant replacing it. miles
If you haven't tried one lately, do so. In the last few years, improvements in LED's have multiplied the brightness many times over. Today's light isn't yesterdays light by a long shot.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Today's light isn't yesterdays light by a long shot.

That right there is the truth. Nowadays you can get a flashlight the size of a shotgun shell that's better than an old timey Maglight that was 3' long

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VernAK
Gut a moose in the dark by yourself and you'll never again be without a headlamp!

No kidding, I had 3 in my pack this fall on a bull after dark by myself. Just in case...

But I carry a scorpion for other tasks that need brighter light for less time, uses for all, but I generally always have 1 or 2 headlights in my backpack at all times.

I don't have one bright enough to do blood trails with though. So I bought a coon hunters headlight for that. Just wished I could find a 6 v halogen bulb to fit it too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Miles, those batteries are the same ( generally) as whats used in electric fence chargers...I buy replacements for my headlight or spares at the feed store all the time, generally around 15 bucks...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I have a ball cap with a built in Led in the bill. And it's surprisingly bright

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use both, like those head lamps.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My jaws ache in memory of gutting a moose in the dark in the rain in a swamp while holding a flashlight in my mouth. Ditto to those who never want to do that again! It makes a man appreciate headlamps.

In a brilliant innovation I discovered that you can hold a headlamp in your hand when a handheld light is preferred. laugh

When walking on uneven ground, a light held in hand away from eyes makes it much easier to see bumps and dips due to throwing shadows to indicate depth, show trip roots, etc. When the light source is close to the eyes I trip and stumble more.

Ditto to having smallish LED lights stashed everywhere in dresser drawers, night stands, glove boxes, tackle boxes, tool boxes, shaving kit, brief case, etc. Also stash inexpensive knives in most such places.

Added: a headlamp has to be compact and light weight for me, no wires, separate battery packs, etc.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/12/14. Reason: felt like it
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
LED's have revolutionized lights and the price is coming down more all the time. These things sell for only $3.50 at Harbor Frt. They've very good little lights, easy on batteries, lots of light, and cheap enough to have lying around everywhere. The only drawback is that you have to use a tiny phillips screwdriver to change batteries.
It has a hook on the back and I use one for a tent light.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My problem with the headlamp I have is that it reflects off the back of my glasses. Very annoying. Have any of you tried one with an extended lens like this one? It might be slightly heavier but it would get the light out in front of my glasses and should eliminate the glare.

[Linked Image]

Wearing a headlamp with a ballcap should resolve your problem with your glasses.

Montana MOFO
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,818
Posts18,477,708
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.