Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Clothes, spears and rocks are technology. Ready to go hunting bare handed & naked?

It all started because we have opposing thumbs. We could pick up a rock or a stick and do something with it. This forced us to start thinking and one thing lead to the next.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I get a kick out of scientists who go crazy with excitement if a monkey picks up a stick to poke in an ant hill. They make a big deal out of the monkey 'using tools'...after they drive to work in a Toyota and write up all the test results on a computer connected to the internet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I poke at things with a stick, and I'm not a monkey ... or a scientist.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I guess it depends on your definition of technology. Those diesel engines you mention are certainly technology. All the fertilizers, pesticides, and even those "practices" you mention are technologies developed, often, in our universities. In the last 110 years we've gone from it taking 30% of the population to feed this country, to 2% feeding it 10 times over.

The modern American farmer is an incredible marvel of modern innovation.

This is the real technological innovation that has allowed the world's population to explode. Specifically the development of synthetic fertilizers in the late 1800's and early 1900's, most of which was done in Germany, the UK, and the Nordic countries, not the U.S.

We wouldn't have 7 billion people on the planet now if it weren't for chemical fertilizers, our population would be much lower and a lot more people would be concentrating their labors on food production to feed the population. Chemical fertilizers allowed a lot smaller number of people to produce enough food to feed the entire population, allowing the population numbers to grow and people to move off the farm & concentrate their labors on making other things, things and technologies that led to the world we have today. Without the development of fertilizer, technology wouldn't have been able to develop nearly as far as it has. Whether you view that as good or bad is debatable.

So if you really want to point to one development that contributed the most to the modern technological world we live in, that's the invention of chemical fertilizers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_fertilizer

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Probably the single largest jump in tech came from the harnessing of electricity. It's not just a light switch. It's industry, automotive, electronics, medicine, communication, science, entertainment. It's hard to think of anything in the last few hundred years that doesn't require electricity.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wacky on the junk

tis evident some are already there

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I poke at things with a stick, and I'm not a monkey ... or a scientist.

ok I'm following you on the scientist part...... whistle

jk, have a great day! grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,185
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.