Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tbear99
i ended up talking a cousin in a trade he had m8's in 4x and 6x he wouldn't let the 4x go but traded the 6x for a m8 2x scope i had.probably be week for mail to get here.I looked through a nikon set on 6x next to my k4 and i think i will be fine not used to the higher setting but time will tell.

A straight six Leupold will be much easier to "get behind" than that Nikon.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by readonly
my concern with going 6x would be light transmission in low light situations. I would get the 4x.

I'm not sure what you mean. I hunt dark holes in a timber lease with 6x Leupolds, no problemo.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
my concern with going 6x would be light transmission in low light situations. I would get the 4x.

6x can take you to walking to the truck in the dark and it doesn't have to be all that far away.

The reticle gets the win in low light, not the difference between 4 or 6.

Last edited by battue; 12/13/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Same same. I have used M8, FX-III and FX-3 6 powers and all look into those "dark holes" quite well.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would have with a 4x, like the Leupold. I had one on a .45/70 Marlin and it worked very well, with ample FOV and ample magnification for the sorts of distances a hot-loaded .45/70 (and by extension, a .444) can reach. I also have a 4x on my 9.3x74 double rifle, and it works a treat there, for similar distances. The 4x Leupold also is very light and, importantly, has a small diameter eyepiece compared to some (especially many variables), so you can mount it low and still access the hammer easily.

I have owned a number of 6x scopes, and still have three of them. IMHO while they are a very versatile choice, they do give away a bit of FOV, and hence speed on close-in fast-moving critters. Not my choice for a .444 for that reason.

YMMV.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For what he is using it for I still think a new Classic K4 would be about perfect...if you really must spend more look into a Leupold FX-II in 2.5x20.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just ordered a K4 and a K6. I believe the K6 will go on a 35 Whelen that Redneck is doing up for me now. The K4.........not sure. Maybe the 300 Wby Mag to see what it will take.

I'm thinking there's a reason they're cheap.....I guess we'll see. At least they have a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 257heaven

As Steelhead alluded.......You need to do some research before you say such a thing. What's it called......Exit pupil?

6x42 not a good low light scope? LOL.

I applaud your ability to regurgitate forum math. I am fully aware of ubiquitous exit pupil forumlas. I have also dialed down in low light on my 2.5-10x42 varipoint and been able to see at low powers what I could not at 6 or above.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As Steelhead alluded.......You need to do some research before you say such a thing. What's it called......Exit pupil?

6x42 not a good low light scope? LOL.

I have also dialed down in low light on my 2.5-10x42 varipoint and been able to see at low powers what I could not at 6 or above.

Doubtful.....but......congratulations?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Doubtful only if you do not place a premium on clarity or have never actually experienced the matter in the field. Which is you?

Dropping an anterless deer at 100 yards, last light...does it matter if it's a button or a doe? That level of clarity can absolutely hang in the balance.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feisty. I like it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When the exit pupil gets above 7mm, unless a person's iris dilates to an unusual degree, all that's happening is the front side of the eye is being illuminated around the pupil. A 10mm exit pupil doesn't get more light to the sensor, the retina.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I've already shot a buck in a 1-buck county..........I'd be damn sure and identify what I'm shooting at....at last light....with a good pair of BINOCULARS! I'd much rather spend $2 grand on good BINOCULARS and $500 on a decent scope than spend $2,500 on a scope and use only that $2,500 scope to identify game.

I'm pretty sure 2 eyes are better than one.......But maybe that's just me. You're probably a LOT better with one eye than I am with 2.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

First let me be clear that I don't point my rifle at a deer without first positively identifying it as such.

The vast majority of my shot opportunities are just a few seconds. And I'm hunting thick cover out of confined stands not tower blinds over open spaces. No time time to fool with binos most of the time.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Or you could just find a better place to hunt.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mathman
When the exit pupil gets above 7mm, unless a person's iris dilates to an unusual degree, all that's happening is the front side of the eye is being illuminated around the pupil. A 10mm exit pupil doesn't get more light to the sensor, the retina.

I don't dispute that but the increased exit pupil over 7mm still provides a distinct improvement in clarity with good glass.

Anybody who's had a slow recovery from PRK can attest to the importance of the distinction between clarity and visibility.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Higbean
Well, a lot of guys around here really like the Leupold fixed 6x scopes and for good reason. From the older M-8 to the 6x36 or even the 6x42 I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them. I sure like the two I have and don't feel I give up anything to a 4x for up close stuff.

Yep, I'm sure of it. After reading this thread, I'm certain that 3-gun nation and all of the Tier One units will be throwing all their variables in the trash and slapping 6x's on EVERYTHING, even their breaching shotguns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

First let me be clear that I don't point my rifle at a deer without first positively identifying it as such.

The vast majority of my shot opportunities are just a few seconds. And I'm hunting thick cover out of confined stands not tower blinds over open spaces. No time time to fool with binos most of the time.

So if you've already shot a buck in a 1-buck county, you'll take a quick shot (2 seconds) at a "doe" in thick cover at last light?

How do you ID any game if you don't have time to "fool with binos" and "don't point my rifle at a deer without first positively identifying it as such".

Something here just does not compute. Again......Congratulations?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman

I don't dispute that but the increased exit pupil over 7mm still provides a distinct improvement in clarity with good glass.

Anybody who's had a slow recovery from PRK can attest to the importance of the distinction between clarity and visibility.

I haven't seen that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

So if you've already shot a buck in a 1-buck county, you'll take a quick shot (2 seconds) at a "doe" in thick cover at last light?

Again......Congratulations?

Lol you are too much. I don't shoot any deer in thick cover outside of a very limited range. I shoot them when they move from cover into a shooting lane. But because the shooting lane is surrounded by thick cover I only have a reasonable expectation of a couple of seconds opportunity before they exit the lane.

I kill the first antlerless deer that presents a clean shot. After that I shoot every anterless deer I can be reasonably certain is a mature doe....50+ deer /sq mile. I don't have a one buck limit. I shoot a buck every three years or so. I hunt where there is an earn a buck law. Buttons are treated as antlerless not anterled.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257 mag, badwolf, 35, BABore, BDR1, 7 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.