-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For those of you that have used them, what would you consider to be a reasonably priced light?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Burnham Brothers used to have a nice scope mounted incandescent lamp with a 9v battery and mercury switch. That was the last time I'd hang anything off my scope. I'm not happy at hanging things off my scope these days.

These days I'll go with a Picatinny mount or comparable - rail mount of some sort - in the tactical family with a stick on pressure switch - I trust Surefire when I'm shooting; lots of others are plenty good enough for flashlights but I haven't tested them for shooting - I don't doubt but....

After that it's how much light do you want to pay for?

My own use has included a lot of white nights in familiar ground when I didn't need a lot of light. If electronic calls are legal in the jurisdiction and considered fair chase then the kill zone can be around the speakers and the setup be pretty close or a long distance overwatch - I've setup in the loft of a pole barn at a considerable distance to good effect too. The setup may be mouth blown with an approach so the coyote what have you breaks cover at 100 yards. That needs a lot more light than an approach to much closer and even more depending on background.

I suppose I'd suggest what I did and start with a minimal Surefire 2 cell with a tape-on switch around $100 maybe less for a used incandescent (eats batteries especially in cold weather but isn't on long) and read with envy of the MGM 3 gun midnight shoot and others suggesting a lot of light is a good idea but like going fast how much light do you want to pay for? I hope to but haven't had any occasion to deal with feral pigs. I wouldn't expect any differences but I don't know.

There are issues of electronic aid and fair chase and sometimes these can be dealt with in advance by having documented sheep kills around the stand.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 12/13/14.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I first tried the ND3 by BSA. Bad move.

Next I got the Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR 250 Kill light.

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/

[Linked Image]

Got the kit with red, white and green bulbs. Paid $139 for the kit three years ago. Don't use the red or white.
I've had it for three seasons and it has worked well for me out to 125 yds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Earlier this year I upgraded to the Wicked 400 from AllPredatorcalls.com.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/wic...ght-hunting-rifleman-kit-with-green-led/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I really like this light. It throws a square beam that telescopes from wide to narrow which allows for not so bright as to scare the game up close to providing excellent illumination at distant targets with a narrow beam. I've used it to 175 yds. at night and it illuminates both the reticle and the critter I'm aiming at. Killed over a dozen hogs this year using this light. I bought the 402 set up with green light for $169 IIRC.

I do like the quick attachment device that came with the XLR 250 kit as I can attach a light to a scope in less than a minute. I may use three or four different rifles during the time I am at my lease and it makes it very easy to change. The mounting device that comes with the Wicked light is more or less for permanent attachement but it is a quality mount that has both windage and elevation adjustments.

I don't think you could go wrong with either, but the Wicked light is my current favorite.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the looks of the wicked light, got to try one!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The wickeds are awesome. i have a green one mounted on my acope, and a tlr-1 HP mounted on a pic rail on my forend. The green is used for scanning and i flick the swithh on the white light to kill

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR 250 Kill light. I purchased the package from them and it works great. I let my hunting buddy borrow it and they have killed three coyotes and one Bobcat with it in last couple of weeks.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
night light made a barrel mount for the headlamp. I used to do a lot of night calling and when I would set up I took it off the hat and slid it on the barrel. with red or amber lense..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a TLR but want to try a wicked? Are the wicked's brighter?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm anxious to try the new StreamLight TLR1-HPL, same distance as the HP but a lot brighter than the HL out to about 100yds.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have been using Armytek Predator with XP-E green emitter. Coupled with Olight magnetic mount works like a charm for about $110.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
one more from last weekend using the Wicked light.

[Linked Image]

A sounder came out after dark. I saw the shadows through my binocs and brought the light to bear on them. Picked out this eating size sow and voila!

[Linked Image]

Pork!!!

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OK you got me, looks like it works.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.