Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Temptation finally reared its head on the next to last day, and this Doe with no apparent yearlings showed itself in my Cousins field. He and I sat in his shack, no climbing hills and kinda warm. I feel a little guilty. Just a little. grin

The Toby was in there with us again also.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 12/12/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats, Harry. Looks like your partner in the bed of the truck approves too. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks much.

I hope blood is good for him, because he was doing some serious lapping.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice going! What kind of rifle did you use?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The goal was to break-in the Montana .300Savage on a Buck, but since this field had the opportunity for something long I used a Nula 7mm-08.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good deal!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats and don't worry, my Lab would always lick all the deer blood up and he lived to be 13!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by battue
The goal was to break-in the Montana .300Savage on a Buck, but since this field had the opportunity for something long I used a Nula 7mm-08.

And the shot was how far?????? Congrats on a good looking doe!!

I killed two with my NULA 7-08 last weekend. Neither were very far, one at about 100yds and the other about 75yds. (NYS)

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congratulations.

Stretched it out a little for me at 358. Leupold 6x42 with a CDS dial. A little too high shoulder. She dropped, but had to walk up and end it.

She was a big Doe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen that Lab before.......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He knows your shooting perch pretty well also. I think he still dreams of all those Squirrels. grin

Addition: Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all down your way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Harry, same to you and yours.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats Battue and all the others that had success. Missed PA opener this year but vowed to be back next year, will be toting a 7mm-08 of some sort

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
You went all the way to PA and hunted one day? shocked
It was a combination trip including several family visits all jammed into one week. The plan was to hunt Tuesday also, but the weather forecast was for freezing rain starting Tuesday morning. I don't know if you've ever driven on Pa. roads in that kind of weather, but it's a pretty dicy proposition without chains. We made the decision to break camp and get out of the mountains in front of the weather.

My brother got stuck up at camp one year by a heavy snow and ice storm and couldn't get down off the mountain for three days. Luckily, he'd shot a deer because he was getting a little thin on food by the time they could get our trail opened up. Most of my trips home include hunting and family time. this was the case here too, so my hunting time was limited.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
GG-

Waxing eloquently in the months preceeding this and the MN hunt - only to put in one day each has earned you the new nickname "One-Day-GG". grin

Sorry I didn't meet up to your expectations that I spend every waking moment in the woods. I get in as much time as I can, and this was a FAMILY trip back to where I'm originally from. I see this doesn't measure up to your expectations, but I had to do frivilous things like go to the cemetary and put flowers on my mother and father's grave, visit with my dying cousin, meet up with my buddy who's house burned down last year-you know-lots of nonsensical non-hunting stuff. I'll be sure to go over my itinerary with you when I do my next trip home. By the way-this was the first time I'd been home in about 5 years and had a LOT of catching up to do.
Believe it or not, sometimes there's more to the trip than sitting in the woods for 6 days straight.

Last edited by gophergunner; 12/13/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by battue
Congratulations.

Stretched it out a little for me at 358. Leupold 6x42 with a CDS dial. A little too high shoulder. She dropped, but had to walk up and end it.

She was a big Doe.

That's a poke no doubt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
GG-

Waxing eloquently in the months preceeding this and the MN hunt - only to put in one day each has earned you the new nickname "One-Day-GG". grin

Sorry I didn't meet up to your expectations that I spend every waking moment in the woods. I get in as much time as I can, and this was a FAMILY trip back to where I'm originally from. I see this doesn't measure up to your expectations, but I had to do frivilous things like go to the cemetary and put flowers on my mother and father's grave, visit with my dying cousin, meet up with my buddy who's house burned down last year-you know-lots of nonsensical non-hunting stuff. I'll be sure to go over my itinerary with you when I do my next trip home. By the way-this was the first time I'd been home in about 5 years and had a LOT of catching up to do.
Believe it or not, sometimes there's more to the trip than sitting in the woods for 6 days straight.

Holy witchcat - lighten up man. You'll note the "grin", ie, meant in fun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Finished up the last day sitting in the morning with old family, and a new young guy who married in and seems like a hard core Deer hunter.

Then the drives started and nothing has changed. Where where you and why were you not here? Didn't you see them? WTH where you doing, I told you? No, I meant over there!!!! WTH are you laughing at?

Anyway, we moved a bunch of Deer around, at least 25 to 30 depending on who you where. Saw maybe 5-6 different Bucks. 3 for sure not legal, one really nice one that someone missed and one barely legal trotting up the hill, me with the cross hairs seeming so easily moving on his shoulder and my Cousin saying take him. Perhaps it seemed easy only because there was no pressure. I knew from the first look I was not going to shoot.

Unfortunately down the hollow he turned into someone else did. Not sure if he escaped or not.

It was a great season, God willing there will be more.

Last edited by battue; 12/13/14.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Amen on the many more seasons. We had about twenty deer up doing drives. No bucks were seen and one doe was taken.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Looked forward to getting out after the snow on Wednesday. I got to hunt Thursday afternoon and ended up shooting this eight point at last light. It was the first legal buck I saw all rifle season.
[Linked Image]

My buddy came down from NY to hunt a few days. He got this six first thing this morning.[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 69 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.