-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did you ever meet LTCOL Anthony Herbert while over there?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Don't recall that I did. There were about 700 miles from north to south as the seagull flies and we didn't mingle a lot with personnel outside our units.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ConradCA
"Swedish K�s" What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_m/45

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Still top shelf.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Have enjoyed every word, D.D. Brought back lots of buried memories, feelings, tastes and smells.

Looking forward to more for sure.

You don't post that often but when you do it has both merit and grit.

Thanks.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Smells linger in my memory. 'Twas a stinky war, no?

I am..........disturbed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No doubt they all are, D.D.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DD,

I dont know how I missed this thread, but I did. I found it this morning and read all of it.

First, let me thank you for your service.

Second, thank-you for writing this 'first-hand' account of what you went thru and witnesses.

And last, you definitely need to get this published.

Thanks again!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Oldman, I are too.

Thank you for your kind sentiments.

So........OK.......I'll check into getting it published. I still want to include the second tour though. Not because I want a fat book, but the dichotomy of the two tours so perfectly illustrates the nature of the war as I knew it. The second spin in the cycle was in many ways as surreal as 'Apocalypse Now' and in others turned into the longest 'Ho Li [bleep]!' moment of my life. Yin and yang, all under one spread as it were.

Dan

PS: It's sorta already been "published" here on the 'Fire I guess. Don't care about making money from it, hell, it was 3 hots and a cot + a monthly check. Lot of you fellas already 'paid' for it as I see it. I suppose as well I should let the copyright cat out of the bag. Done deal.

I am..........disturbed.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dan,

This is a great read. Lots of young men were pulled into this war and most served honorable and were not given the respect they deserved. Thanks for your service and posting your story.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Just found this,..been reading it all evening.

I'll only get 4 hours of sleep before I have to get up for work, but the read was well worth a day of sleep deprivation.

You should check into the self publishing opportunities that are out there these days, Dan.

Nothing wrong with money.

Money is good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bump for a great story.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is so....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just found this,..been reading it all evening.

As did I. I do not know how I missed it the first time around, but I did. Once found, it was read nonstop. I did Rocky's books the same way. Dan, did you ever get up around Quin-hon at any time? I was there from July 1968-July 1969. My tour was a lot tamer than yours. I do wish to thank you for your service and also thank you for writing it down. The thanks for service is extended to all that have served. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TAG

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Miles, I passed thru there several times in '72. Was one of the very few peaceful places to be found over there. The ROK Army wielded an iron fist in that country. Nice beaches and at least one restaurant I enjoyed.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ROK Army wielded an iron fist in that country.

The locals would take to the side streets when they saw them coming. I had been gone a while by the time you were there. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bam

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of Bam, landed at a helipad in that neighborhood one day and was sitting there at flight idle waiting for the pax to load up. There was a ROK NCO, apparently equivalent to a Sgt. Major looking at the chevrons on his shoulder. Big and burley by Paul Bunyan standards, he was reading a younger ROK the riot act about something, much in the spirit of a boot camp private getting ass ripped by a DI. After several minutes of this he delivered a right hook to the youngster that laid him out flat. I was amazed..,

Then the fella jumped back on his feet and snapped to attention once more. More "in your face" followed but there were no further fisticuffs. Discipline is a marvelous thing in the Zone. Is stuff like that what made the region such a peaceful place I suppose.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WHAAaaaat ?

....you mean he didn't ask for a "Time Out" card ?

Sounds pretty "Violent" to me,....

Oh ,...wait, we're talking about WARRIORS here,...

disregard my last.

GTC

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,978
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.