Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MarkFed
Im having a scrapple party the Sunday after Christmas. We make deer scrapple several times a year up here, normally 150-200lbs per pot. It takes all day, sun up to sun down.

Step one is kill a bunch of deer.

Step two is save all of the hearts, rib cages, pelvises, spine sections, and any other bones that have meat that is hard to get off.

Gather needed flours, spices, etc.

Buy 6-10 cases of beer.

Invite friends.

Start fire and fun shall commence.

Best part is when that scrapple is done and still hot/molten, take some tortilla scoops and dig in!!!!!

how do you make deer scrapple.we make hog scrapple but i never heard of using deer. doesn't seem right with the lack of edible fat on a deer.

GB1

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Im having a scrapple party the Sunday after Christmas. We make deer scrapple several times a year up here, normally 150-200lbs per pot. It takes all day, sun up to sun down.

Step one is kill a bunch of deer.

Step two is save all of the hearts, rib cages, pelvises, spine sections, and any other bones that have meat that is hard to get off.

Gather needed flours, spices, etc.

Buy 6-10 cases of beer.

Invite friends.

Start fire and fun shall commence.

Best part is when that scrapple is done and still hot/molten, take some tortilla scoops and dig in!!!!!

We have a BIG pot, I could use it as a hot tub!

Based on the recipe/ingredient list for this stuff, may as well finish it off by letting a few drunk hunters with days-old monkey butt soak in there awhile...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Pass around a brick of that head cheese for them to chew - keep their strength up till the scrapple stew is done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fried scrapple on toast with maple syrup. Oh my !!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
when you make scrapple are you separating meat from broth

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We made puddin meat with the solids, left to set up in a pan. Then added cornmeal to the broth for the scrapple, which older folks call ponhaus. Some thicken the whole thing for scrapple. Only ever ate it from pork, deer would be interesting.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't gibachit what meat it is. I hear that moose head cheese is superb.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Great effort all around Andy, and I appreciate your sharing. Never tried the stuff, but only because I've never had the chance. I'd dive into that in a heartbeat.

On Scrapple: I've always loved it. My old man used to make it for my brother and me from the time when we were very young. I always wondered if it was something that one could make at home. I asked around a few places after I got home from a FL hog slaying outing, and after asking around a bit got a response from a kind fellow with his version. I don't recall if I met him here, or somewhere else, and while I never got around to making it, it sounds like it'd be most tasty. Next time I drop a hog I'm going to make a test pile of it, and if good, will run with it. Luke, if you're out there, thanks again. wink

'Greetings my friend: I apologize for the delay. I only have a computer here at the gun store, and I am not here all the time. The recipe is as follows.1 1/2 pounds of boneless pork. Cut it into about 2" chunks, and simmer until very tender. Save your stock! ( I like to chunk up an onion and a carrot, and a celery stalk when simmering the meat. Discard them after the meat is cooked, but it makes the stock much tastier. You will need about six cups of stock to make the recipe. Either shred or grind the cooked meat. I prefer to hand shred it and add a little "knife chop" to give it a little better texture. Add the meat back to the stock, and bring to a low boil or simmer. Add to the stock: 1 cup your favorite corn meal or polenta--1 1/2 tsp salt--1 tsp fresh black pepper( both to taste)--1 tsp. ground sage-3/4 tsp marjoram-1/2 tsp thyme- simmer and stir about 45 minutes or so until nicely thickened. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray, pour the mixture in and cover with saran wrap. Refrigerate overnight. Turn the scrapple out onto a board and slice into 1/2" slices. If you lightly coat the slices with flour , they will brown up better, and just fry them up in hot oil. Good stuff! You will find some recipes that add allspice and other aromatics, but I don't think they are as good as this one. I must confess that I pirated this from Guy Fieris book on Diners Drive ins and Dives, but I was in Santa Fe this past weekend at the place it came from-just as good!!! I remember scrapple from growing up in Indiana--too many "guts things for me" This is much better. Best to you and good luck !'

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Moose head cheese is superb but moose muzzle requires some gettin used too.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Our scrapple

Wood fire under enormous pot. Fill pot with meaty bones and hearts. We do add a little pork for fat content but not much. Fill pot with water until just covers meaty bones. Boil until meat falls from bone.

We remove the meat/bones and allow to cool in butchering trays. Then most of the crew removes the meat from the bones wearing rubber gloves while two others strain all of the broth to remove any stray bone/hair/hard cartilage.

Then while the two place the broth back in the pot a third person will mix in the spices and continuously stir.

After the cooled meat is stripped from the bone and hard cartilage it is sent through our large grinder 2-3 times until it looks "right".

Ground meat is returned to pot of newly seasoned broth which is just under a boil.

Then flours are added and mixing shall commence. We used home made wood paddles for a long time but now we have moved on to a 1/2" D-Handle low speed drill, only used for scrapple since new. Custom made SS mixing whipper in the drill. Must constantly mix/whip to keep from burning or sticking to the pit and to ensure a homogenous mixture.

Mixing continues until our 10lb custom SS mixing/scraping paddle will stand up in the center on its own.

Then we remove the pot from the heat and quickly ladle the molten meat mixture into plastic loaf pans.

Leave loaf pans out on table until cooled and solid ( that's why we do this in the winter). Shake out of pans, cut into 1lb bricks, vacuum seal.

DONE!

It's a lot of work but we have fun. Normally 10-15 of us and some of our wives.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Head cheese ! I have eaten ton of it over the years. Being the oldest of the kids when the time came to making it, I was honoured with the position of head holder. I had to place my thumbs in the eye sockets and then grab hold of the side of the head and hold on for dear life as my Grandmother sawed it open to get better exposure for the "good parts". Both halves were placed in the cauldron and herbs, onions and spices of all descriptions were added, a long while later I was given the job of helping to clean the bones of every single good or gnarly bit of that hogs' head.

The result was more awesome every time it was made, though it never tasted exactly the same each time, but close. Grandma always adjusted the spices and herbs according to the age of the animal and the smell of the meat (apparently it has to do with what the animal had been eating).

I miss her, I miss the head cheese, and the pickled pigs feet, the Governor sauce that was spread across poor man's bread that made it into the most awesome of sandwiches.

Life was better, simpler, more honest back then, I miss that part of life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can I put an order in now? grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for you recipes. i have stirred many iron kettles full of scrapple in the last 30yrs . love the stuff as long as its made right. a good friend makes the best i've ever eatin.it need plenty of meat to get good flavor.i like it loaded with black pepper.its way better fresh,but i do freeze it sliced and stacked between wax paper then vacuum sealed.

Last edited by srwshooter; 12/16/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking good!
Lots of folks will eat a T-bone or rib-eye without connecting the obvious dots in regard to meat and bone; the best meat is next to the bones. Obviously the head has lots of bone too. I grew up with souse and head cheese. I also enjoy moose head (and caribou.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Our scrapple

Wood fire under enormous pot. Fill pot with meaty bones and hearts. We do add a little pork for fat content but not much. Fill pot with water until just covers meaty bones. Boil until meat falls from bone.

We remove the meat/bones and allow to cool in butchering trays. Then most of the crew removes the meat from the bones wearing rubber gloves while two others strain all of the broth to remove any stray bone/hair/hard cartilage.

Then while the two place the broth back in the pot a third person will mix in the spices and continuously stir.

After the cooled meat is stripped from the bone and hard cartilage it is sent through our large grinder 2-3 times until it looks "right".

Ground meat is returned to pot of newly seasoned broth which is just under a boil.

Then flours are added and mixing shall commence. We used home made wood paddles for a long time but now we have moved on to a 1/2" D-Handle low speed drill, only used for scrapple since new. Custom made SS mixing whipper in the drill. Must constantly mix/whip to keep from burning or sticking to the pit and to ensure a homogenous mixture.

Mixing continues until our 10lb custom SS mixing/scraping paddle will stand up in the center on its own.

Then we remove the pot from the heat and quickly ladle the molten meat mixture into plastic loaf pans.

Leave loaf pans out on table until cooled and solid ( that's why we do this in the winter). Shake out of pans, cut into 1lb bricks, vacuum seal.

DONE!

It's a lot of work but we have fun. Normally 10-15 of us and some of our wives.

This sounds like a bunch of fun! Does it freeze well?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Looking good!
Lots of folks will eat a T-bone or rib-eye without connecting the obvious dots in regard to meat and bone; the best meat is next to the bones. Obviously the head has lots of bone too. I grew up with souse and head cheese. I also enjoy moose head (and caribou.)

Agreed, I know a guy who scavenges fresh filleted redfish carcasses to eat the meat that's missed.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

I miss her, I miss the head cheese, and the pickled pigs feet, the Governor sauce that was spread across poor man's bread that made it into the most awesome of sandwiches.

eek

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,414
Posts18,528,194
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.