-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I am very new to collecting Savage 99's...if you can call owning 2 a collection, or even if that makes me a collector.

I became entralled with these rifles because of the rotary magazine and their mechanical ingenuity.

But I am still struggling with what makes one Savage more collectable than another?

I see a lot of 99's in "Very Good" condition. Recently I saw a 300 Savage EG. But I was unable to determine if it was collectable or even worth the $550. (I am still trying to decide on this one)

I have read all posts here and purchased "the" book.

Is there some other source that I should be looking at for insight to determine what makes one model or year more collectible over the other?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by C_Broad_Arrow
I am very new to collecting Savage 99's...if you can call owning 2 a collection, or even if that makes me a collector.

I became entralled with these rifles because of the rotary magazine and their mechanical ingenuity.

But I am still struggling with what makes one Savage more collectable than another?

I see a lot of 99's in "Very Good" condition. Recently I saw a 300 Savage EG. But I was unable to determine if it was collectable or even worth the $550. (I am still trying to decide on this one)

Is there some other source that I should be looking at for insight to determine what makes one model or year more collectible over the other?

THE SOURCE TO LOOK AT is RIGHT HERE on the 24Hour.
Welcome
STEVE

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Originally Posted by C_Broad_Arrow

THE SOURCE TO LOOK AT is RIGHT HERE on the 24Hour.
Welcome
STEVE

Additionally, books such as a recent Standard Catalog of Firearms sometime offers clues/information regarding how many of a particular model, caliber or variation were produced. In general, the fewer made the more desirable. Factor in condition and there you go.
If you like it, buy it. They're all good, some are just better. wink

"Every day above ground is a good day."
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
There is an older thread titled, top 5 collector 99 's. I think finding it would be worth your while. I saved the pages, but could not get a link with the search.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Condition and scarcity... those two make "collector" quality 99's.

Scarcity might be in regards to model (99T), might be chambering (38-55), might be optional features (30" barrel).

A high grade 99EG in 300 is worth $550, imho. But the EG's in 300 are about as far from scarce as you can get.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm. A 99T in 38-55, with a 30" barrel. That would be moderately rare...

grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Might have to take that one with a grain of salt if I saw it advertised. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Hmmm. A 99T in 38-55, with a 30" barrel. That would be moderately rare...

grin

THEY MUST OF NOT CATALOG THAT ONE. whistle
I'll Have to Look at Mine, I think i have that model in the rafters some-were!

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Depends on why you collect:
1. For monetary appreciation/profit (rarity, high condition safe queens)
2. Acquisition of one of each type or caliber or many variations of one model or caliber
3. To have a variety of hunters in the best affordable condition
4. Bragging rights
5. The thrill of the hunt and pride in ownership of the finest eastern deer rifle ever made, condition of minor consequence since owning a bubba'do tomato stake allows you a guilt-free opportunity to repair, renovate, customize or even to walk in Bubba's shoes. eek

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As to the question of the "300 EG", it is probably the most common of Savage lever rifles, especially the 1950's model. That said, they are common because they were a great model, caliber combination for the use they were made for. I think this is the place to start for a beginning collector/shooter. Because they are common it is not too hard to find one that is factory original and in next to new condition. And, finding one that is factory D&T'ed is even better. I would advise against buying one that is less unless the price is very good and/or you want one just to hunt with.

Dell, thanks for finding the earlier link. There's lots of great info in the earlier postings.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

C
OP Offline
C
Ok... Thanks!

Last edited by C_Broad_Arrow; 12/15/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
STARTED IN THE 50's FACTORY DRILLED AND TAPED FOR A SCOPE MOUNTS On R, F's and EG., ETC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 62 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.