-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I really agree with this too. It was pretty obvious that deer numbers were plummeting right around where I live a few years ago but they kept issuing antlerless tags. Thankfully it was buck only here starting this year. I understand that there is a time and place to kill some does too.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Theres hardly any deer up in my area of N.H. ,Between the deep snow last winter and the coyotes they took it hard. I only went out a few times ,i'd just as soon see the population come back up. spent most of deer season working on Restoring my Lombard Log Hauler!!!! Sometimes it pays to have more then one hobby. Don

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Loggah
Theres hardly any deer up in my area of N.H. ,Between the deep snow last winter and the coyotes they took it hard. I only went out a few times ,i'd just as soon see the population come back up. spent most of deer season working on Restoring my Lombard Log Hauler!!!! Sometimes it pays to have more then one hobby. Don

By "pays" I presume you probably don't mean monetarily. grin

Seems like all my neighbors have old muscle cars as hobbies. Every time they go through another set of tires I just laugh and say, "There's another RS that would be in my safe". grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I skunked out too! Second time in the 30 years I have owned my hunting property. After rifle season I saw a wolf track heading north and called a friend who has the property it would be heading towards.
He went and sat in the bush and 15 minutes later a doe came out on the run with a wolf behind it. He downed it and within minutes nailed three more wolves that followed the first one out.
Now I have all kinds of deer tracks at the property but season is over.
BillR

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillR
I skunked out too! Second time in the 30 years I have owned my hunting property. After rifle season I saw a wolf track heading north and called a friend who has the property it would be heading towards.
He went and sat in the bush and 15 minutes later a doe came out on the run with a wolf behind it. He downed it and within minutes nailed three more wolves that followed the first one out.
Now I have all kinds of deer tracks at the property but season is over.
BillR

Wow! Did I just read your buddy nailed 4 wolves? Living large!

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those poor wolves.... cry

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I wonder how they taste ??? grin Good for him 4 wolves = a bunch of deer !!!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
gnoahhh-- I never really took notice of where you were from. Yes, it is a sad state of affairs in Maryland (Or use to be). I use to hunt around Hagerstown (Indian Springs) 15 or 20 years back. I bow hunted and the big field for camping usually only had 2-3 trucks in it. When Maryland went to "Kill all you want system", it looked like the circus was there. I used to rifle hunt there a little bit and it got crowded with both PA hunters and locals. There used to be so many deer there that if you sat down anywhere in the woods and looked around, you could spot a rub on a tree. The last time I was there the night before rifle, I talked to a guy in the campsite that brought his grandson down to hunt. He said he killed 9, yes NINE doe during early loader season. When I asked what he did with them all, he said "I donated them to a food bank." The next day I heard 3 fast shots around 12 o'clock and one late in the afternoon. That was the first day of rifle, buck and doe open. I never went back. I still hunt in WV, but it is getting bad there too at places. When I started hunting in Maryland, it was a lottery for doe tags in the area I hunted and I believe no doe hunting at all farther west. When I started hunting in WV, there was no doe hunting at all in the area we hunt. The reason so many PA hunters suck up the doe tags out of state is because they already destroyed the hunting in their area. I am from PA and I have to admit that a lot of PA hunters are an embarrassment to the hunting world. The only good thing is that these "Hunters" usually quit showing up once the hunting gets tougher, so just hang in there. PA finally is getting the picture and cutting back on the doe tags and hunting time. Let these posts be a fair warning to people in other states where antler restrictions and doe slaughter are promoted as the "Carrot on the stick and string" for huge racked deer. Nothing wrong with doe hunting and it is actually needed, but a little moderation is good with anything. I have seen what these programs have done to Public land hunting in three states already. If you hunt Public Land, beware of anyone that uses the words "Quality" and "Deer" in the same sentence.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gnoahh it is weird how differently people perceive things. If I was hunting in an area I was vested in and worried about the quality of hunting I would NOT want to shoot a small buck or a large doe. The reason being a big buck can only come from a small buck. A large doe is the proven seed bed of the herd. A small doe...as in yearling non proven breeder in my mind the best animal to harvest for meat without screwing up bigger buck potential. I think with the price of beef going higher higher higher the cost of outta state tags are becoming in line with an economical alternative to the super market. This is my opinion and not meant in any way to slag off or insult your thoughts; just it is what I am thinking. Merry Christmas!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
GP- Thanks for sharing your insight. Suffice to say you have accurately described the situation. I too hunted Indian Springs in years past. In fact, I grew up in sight of those mountains. I now hunt further west, just past Hancock in the Sidling Hill/Woodmont WMA's. Down here where I live, deer are thick as rabbits. I can't put a garden out because the buggers will clean it out. Fruit off of my dozen miniature fruit trees? Forget it. They clean the branches before the stuff is even ripe. I have friends who own farms on the Eastern Shore and just south of Annapolis who beg me to join them and our other friends in the annual bedlam of deer shooting which is what passes for "hunting" around here. If I wanted to throw a half dozen deer in the freezer it would be no sweat. The deer herd in suburban Maryland has burgeoned to epidemic status, and I support the liberal regs that govern the hunting here. The catch is one has to use a shotgun/muzzle loader/archery- rifles are verboten due to the high population of humans. I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself to use a shotgun for deer. (As a kid, the only guys who used shotguns were poor people who couldn't afford a proper rifle. Old prejudices die hard sometimes.) Wanting to use a rifle, coupled with memories of seasons long gone when I haunted those mountains with my Pop draw me westward when I could have an easy time of it within 20 minutes of my front door. That plus I like the idea of "hunting" versus "killing". Strictly my own cross to bear.

Eastern Maryland is like a foreign country compared to western Maryland and unfortunately drives the rest of the state politically- which has no small effect on game management practices in the state. Compounding my own issues is the fact I don't spend enough time out there schmoozing private land owners with hopes of wangling an invitation to hunt non-public lands. Perhaps I should spend less time romancing a couple women out there and more time romancing an orchard owner near Hancock, ha ha!

That said, I often resort to unlimbering my Ohio-style percussion gun and shooting a single deer- which lasts me from one season to the next (or like I said earlier when the urge/need for baloney rears its ugly head). Is it a joyful experience reeking of tradition and memories? Nah. It's more akin to going to the store and picking out a sack full of meat.

I blame our myopic DNR as well as unethical game hogs for the sad fate of the (potentially) wonderful hunting in picturesque western Maryland. Will I give up on it? No, for I have too much invested in the area emotionally and can't afford to gadabout the country with Savage rifle in hand.

Thank you all for tolerating my maunderings on this subject. It feels better now!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Angus- I appreciate where you're coming from, and understand your thoughts totally. For me, personally, I rarely if ever think about the biology/genetics of deer populations. I'm too much a romantic to dwell on the mechanics of living things, I suppose. Is it a failing? Yep, but I doubt I'll change anytime soon.

My personal mantra is to kill only an occasional deer rather than strive to kill as many as I'm allowed- not, I must emphatically add, the mantra of the average Joe I run into in the woods. Not that I'm presenting myself as the paragon of hunting ethics, but if more guys followed that protocol it would balance out better in the end- without resorting to complicated evaluations of genetics and deer actuary rates.

Not being a dedicated pursuer of trophies for the wall, rack size never mattered as much as "does it even have a rack?"

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/15/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am from rural upstate NY, but I have lived in suburban SE Pa since 1997.

Here we say, "people used to go to the mountains to deer hunt, now they stay home"

What we used to think of as deer hunting has definitely changed in the past 25 years. Hell it's really, really changed in the past 100 years.

It is what it is. We live on a dynamic planet in a dynamic time in human history.

If you want to hunt deer and be successful you adapt and overcome. Dedicated deer hunters find the deer and find away to get it done. The whitetail has proven he can adapt to humans better than we can adapt to him. Plenty of deer around if you know where to look for them. My brother's house sits on 2.5 acres in suburban Philly. Kills a nice buck with the bow their almost every year.

The days of watching 50 deer run past you on the Pa game lands with a spiker bringing up the rear are over.

If it means bow, muzzleloader or spear cryin bout the old days don't change your luck.

Go without or reinvent yourself and get it done.

Edit: Not aimed at anybody, just sayin...

Last edited by 99guy; 12/15/14.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Gary, I didn't read the whole thread so I may have missed it, but there is a late season Jan. 9 and 10. Just checked it's in region B only. So, I'm good to go. I just got invited to hunt an old friends farm in New Market. Maybe I'll get lucky. I didn't get to go to WV so I've got the skunk juice on me too, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I could sit on my mother's garage roof and crossbow a deer. The one neighbor does have a tree stand in her patch of woods. When I still lived in lower lehigh County, I actually shot a doe from my back door the one year I could not get out to hunt. Even when I still lived there, I went up to the mountains to hunt deer. Sometimes just to walk around. Some people just don't get it. I was up in Hickory Run State Park this year and ran into two other hunters. They said that this was the first time they were at this Game Lands. I pulled out a map and compass and finally convinced them where they were. Not easy to do because they used a GPS to get there. Yeah, dynamic times.

Last edited by Gunplummer; 12/15/14.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Can't really blame a young or in-experienced hunter for wanting to get a deer no matter the consequences to the overall population. They haven't taken enough game to make that transition to a more patient and thoughtful hunter. On the other hand, I have no patience what so ever for "game hogs" that have ample experience and should know better. They're just greedy and greedy people piss me off.

In reality, there's very few of us that "need" to get a deer. I'm guessing that guys like us that have the time to punch keys on a computer and chat about which Savage we'd like to get next have managed to keep our families fed, with or without game meat. Hopefully we're able to keep things in perspective and appreciate the opportunities we have and show respect for the wildlife we hunt. I've always been impressed with the pervasive undertone of the importance of good hunting ethics I've found here. Keep it up and pass it on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my part of Ontario I now firmly believe more deer are shot (rifle or crossbow) next to houses where they are being fed corn/oats daily to attract them.
I recently had a heated discussion regarding this method and was firmly told that this is "the future of hunting".
Apparently shooting "deer over bait" is illegal in some western provinces. Interesting that hunting ducks/geese over or even within 200 m of bait can result in a $1000 fine.
BillR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry about your deer season but congrats on the tiger! grin

Tough season here too and I have lots of deer on my place. I really wanted to blood a new (to me) .30-30 model 99 but could not get a shot at all.

One day it was so windy I didn't bother hunting, But decided to check the fences that evening to make sure there were no big limbs or trees down on them. I took a Marlin .41 magnum along in case I saw a coyote and walked up on a doe. The Marlin did the job but I'm still kicking myself for not taking a 99 instead.

There is another 3 day season at Christmas so maybe the Savage can get in the game then.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2
Sorry about your deer season but congrats on the tiger! grin

Tough season here too and I have lots of deer on my place. I really wanted to blood a new (to me) .30-30 model 99 but could not get a shot at all.

One day it was so windy I didn't bother hunting, But decided to check the fences that evening to make sure there were no big limbs or trees down on them. I took a Marlin .41 magnum along in case I saw a coyote and walked up on a doe. The Marlin did the job but I'm still kicking myself for not taking a 99 instead.

There is another 3 day season at Christmas so maybe the Savage can get in the game then.

Wind takes away their hearing advantage and provides an edge under the right circumstances, like yours. It also drives them to cover, so it can be a wash. I love blacktail hunting in the rain, wind is tough.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, When it's windy here they hole up in some really tangled up thickets and lay low.

Rain is a different story, They seem to like it and I always see deer on rainy days.

Rainy or snowy days are my favorite times to hunt.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I dont know about the rest of you but I love to eat vension, and the last 2 years times have been tough, the wife and I eat venison 80% of the time. we dont buy much beef. some pork and chicken. so I try hard to get 2-3 deer in the freezer! I still have 2 tags but feel I have enought in the freezer now. I love to hunt and be in the woods, and I do pass alot of deer. but Im not a big horn hunter. Meat is more important to me.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 9 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.