Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I use a "modified case" and a Stoney Point tool. I do it three times to make sure I get a consistent COAL with that particular bullet. A new rifle gets this performed right from the start and the data goes into the "book". I usually measure 4-7 bullets depending what I am going to load with. Can't be simpler or more accurate.

I do the same, takes all the guesswork out.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have never ever done it. No need to do it.
The shape of the group tells you where your bullet needs to be seated.
Large equilateral triangle = seat out further.
2 in and 1 out of the group = seat deeper.

I move the seating die a quarter turn at a time.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

John

So your advice to a reloader that doesn't know how to determine max COAL is "screw that, you don't need to determine max COAL, just start adjusting your seating depth based on shot patterning?"

Wow!

I hope he has enough sense to ignore this stupidity.

David

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Why would 2 in 1 out mean seat deeper, what's going on to cause that? If the load is inaccurate, how'it igoing to work on 2 out of 3?

I tried everything mentioned or variations and like the consistency of the StoneyPoint tool. Plus I get to buy more chitt that way.

Last edited by oregontripper; 12/19/14. Reason: ?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It works. I read AussieGunWriter's advice on this some time ago and it works just fine.

I do start by finding the max OAL to touch the lands and then check that against maximum magazine restrictions. I like to start at .020" off the lands just because I like to leave some clearance. That's not a magic number, folks can start at whatever distance they care to based on their own needs and opinions.

But if you get groups of 2 and 1, or 3 and 2 if you start with 5 shot groups, seat deeper. I generally go about .020" or .030" at a time, depends on my mood that day. The groups will shrink and that lonely bullet hole will move closer to the other two. If you get a nice round group but it's bigger than you think it should be, seat shallower (closer to the lands).

I have seen this work time and time again in the last couple of years since I started trying it. Some rifles shoot best at .050" off the lands, one likes .001" - basically touching.

Now if you get scattered groups or unexplained flyers in 4 and 5 shot groups the trouble could be elsewhere - bedding, barrel needs free floating or whatever, but given that everything else is okay the group pattern gives a clear indication of which way to move the bullet.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Steely got the order correct. Check magazine bridge opening first. I didn't do that with my first Montana 84L and realized the evening before its first hunt that the overall was too long to eject an unfired round. It fit the mag and chamber, bu caught on the bridge at ejection. Not a good thing to find in the field.

I use a black marker instead of a match. covers better and shows the rifling marks just as well. I then measure that with the Stoney Point ogive tool. That is the measurement I prefer, as it appears to be much more consistent than measuring overall length at the bullet tip. I record that measurement for every load and bullet for future reference. Then, depending on the bullet, I back off 0.020"-0.050" for most bullets. Barnes certainly appear to like the deeper seating, usually -.050"-0.080" But those measurements are guidelines and will be rifle specific.

Enjoy!

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It works. I read AussieGunWriter's advice on this some time ago and it works just fine.

I do start by finding the max OAL to touch the lands and then check that against maximum magazine restrictions. I like to start at .020" off the lands just because I like to leave some clearance. That's not a magic number, folks can start at whatever distance they care to based on their own needs and opinions.

But if you get groups of 2 and 1, or 3 and 2 if you start with 5 shot groups, seat deeper. I generally go about .020" or .030" at a time, depends on my mood that day. The groups will shrink. If you get a nice round group but it's bigger than you think it should be, seat shallower (closer to the lands).

I have seen this work time and time again in the last couple of years since I started trying it. Some rifles shoot best at .050" off the lands, one likes .001" - basically touching.

Now if you get scattered groups or unexplained flyers in 4 and 5 shot groups the trouble could be elsewhere - bedding, barrel needs free floating or whatever, but given that everything else is okay the group pattern gives a clear indication of which way to move the bullet.

Excellent post Jim. That's been my experience as well. Sans Ausiegunwriters advice: Haven't read it. Smoke the bullet and use a piece of once fired brass from that rifle. If the brass has already been resized then you'll need to split the case neck. Sounds like the OP is already doing it this way. With a smoked bullet and modified case, there is really no "guess work" involved. Pretty simple and no extra expense with unnecessary equipment like a stoney point or special hornady modified case etc. etc.. Use the money you saved to buy more bullets wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's not his adjustment advice based on grouping I think is stupid, it's the advice to skip determining MAX COAL prior to adjusting seating depth. Plenty of factory rifles that come down the pike with abnormally short throats - I've owned two of 'em. Following his advice is an invitation to a potentially dangerous over load situation.

David

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
David,

Many people like to make handloading more complicated. I do it the way you do, looking for rifling marks on the bullet, rather than "feeling" for resistance when closing the bolt.

Thanks for the response. Lots of different ways of doing stuff, just trying to understand what someone else is doing.

David

Thats how i do it as well,using a sharpie. Was just tryin to explain what I "think" BRH was saying.

+4

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not a doubter of the process, just wondering what is going on that would make 2 in 1 out happen. Anyone got an idea?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
People love buying more tools, [bleep] that.

The least amount of stuff, the better off I am. Squeeze in a fired neck enough to hold a bullet firmly. Seat bullet long and measure. Insert and close bolt, remove and remeasure (bullet gets pushed into case).

Repeat a few times and you know where you are. If it fits the magazine, you're golden, if it don't, seat deeper till it do.

I don't need cleaning rods, wooden dowels, Hornady comparators, Stoney whateverthephuck. Hell, I don't even need a sharpie.

A fired case, a bullet and a micrometer.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I do like the slip case that I made using a dremmel, by cutting a slit in the neck and a wee bit into the shoulder. Easier for me to pull it back out for multiple measurements than just a squeezed neck. I make one for each cartridge that I have. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Plunger type ejector screw with it that way?

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I like tools. I even bought the drill and tap to make my own modified cases for my HornadyStoneyPoint tool! I can find the lands without a fired case. Then use a comparator to messure and know with any other bullet without repeating. Simple enough.

Still hoping someone can 'xplain me why the 2 in 1 out happens...

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
People love buying more tools, [bleep] that.

The least amount of stuff, the better off I am. Squeeze in a fired neck enough to hold a bullet firmly. Seat bullet long and measure. Insert and close bolt, remove and remeasure (bullet gets pushed into case).

Repeat a few times and you know where you are. If it fits the magazine, you're golden, if it don't, seat deeper till it do.

I don't need cleaning rods, wooden dowels, Hornady comparators, Stoney whateverthephuck. Hell, I don't even need a sharpie.

A fired case, a bullet and a micrometer.

Unless close is good enough,comparators are a pretty useful tool given the nature of bullet tips and even ogive variables lot to lot.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
oregontripper,

"2 in 1 out" happens because 3-shot groups aren't sufficient to really reflect the accuracy of a rifle and load. The spread of ALL shots will be larger than the average of 3-shot groups, so the "flier" is simply a shot that's part of the overall picture.

Four-shot groups are superior for testing accuracy, and more shots are even better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rosco,

Using a bullet in a fired case is "close enough" for determining proper seating depth that a bunch of winning benchrest shooters use it. In my own benchrest rifle it resulted in 5-shot groups averaging around .18" with a minimum of fuss. Which is part of why I use exactly the same "tool-free" method as Steelhead.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

John

So your advice to a reloader that doesn't know how to determine max COAL is "screw that, you don't need to determine max COAL, just start adjusting your seating depth based on shot patterning?"

Wow!

I hope he has enough sense to ignore this stupidity.

David

I learned this from Benchrest shooters decades ago, and as a writer who specialized in reviewing rifles and developing loads for the reviews, I proved hundreds of times it worked and this advice is being repeated and proved over and again by readers here and other sites where the advice has spilled over.

If you want to know a maximum dimension for OAL, consult you reloading manual.
If you want to know whether that dimension is relevant to your particular rifle, try it in your magazine box to see if it will really fit as a starting point but also confirm there is enough leade to chamber that dimension before running off to the range. Some rifles will house an OAL but not chamber it, Ruger, being an example.

So, how you you "know" I am wrong?

John

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
oregontripper,

"2 in 1 out" happens because 3-shot groups aren't sufficient to really reflect the accuracy of a rifle and load. The spread of ALL shots will be larger than the average of 3-shot groups, so the "flier" is simply a shot that's part of the overall picture.

Four-shot groups are superior for testing accuracy, and more shots are even better.

JB is perfectly correct here. I buy those 5 target sheets and add spotter bull's in between the printed targets so I have a lot more aiming points on a sheet.

I then record the sequence of targets being used and the loads so I have a series of group shapes to average out. Instead of having single groups with 5 or 10 holes, my method allows me to review each bank of 3 shots compared to the last and the next (I usually shoot 5 targets)so I have not only a range of targets to review, I can clearly see if there are sequences occurring like number 3 being thg flyer "consistently" or whatever, as the targets are cleaner and less destroyed.

The other comparison that can be made is how and when the barrel heat enters the group sequence. Barrel contours differ on each rifle so they need to be reviewed separately, so you have can learn how far you can push a barrel until you are creating erratic information cause by excessive barrel heat.

There is a lot to it but you can't learn a damn thing by starting out thinking you know all the answers. You never do, but after a time, you can start averaging out your results across the board, to see the synergies that occur from the practices you adopt.

I learn from everyone here, and that includes how to conduct myself on a public forum. After owning a bar for a few years, I know exactly how far I can go in the other direction and decency, with explained opinion, is far more constructive.

John

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

Well said. I can only add that often barrel heat doesn't affect the barrel itself as much as the heat waves coming off the barrel affect aiming through a scope.

A properly stress-relieved and bedded barrel should shoot to the same place even when screaming hot. In fact, this is one of the characteristics common to NULA rifles. A gun-writer friend who had never shot one before finally tried a .30-06. He became so intrigued with how the bullet holes kept landing in the same place he eventually shot three dozen rounds without letting the barrel cool, ending up with a group of an inch.

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1minute, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,338
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.