Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by STS45
One of my favorite threads. I love all of your Winchesters but especially this one. I too am looking to build a model 70 like this for elk hunting. I basically destroyed my featherweight 30-06 this year Elk hunting. It got soaked for a week straight and damn near gave me a heart attack worrying about it. Time to get a synthetic stock and a paint job.

Could you expand a little more on how you paint your stocks, they look friggn great! I have a factory tupperware stock that is going to get painted. Also, does your cerakote guy accept work from guys out of state? I've had some really really crappy jobs done here in town.

Thanks a lot guys. I was hoping I wasn't boring you to death with all the crappy pictures. My new camera looks to be a lot better so you can see the work a little better. I'm extremely happy with this one and it didn't take much work on my end. Just bedding and painting the stock. The rest of the work my cerakote guy handled. I'm hoping I went with the right scope, but the glass seems to be excellent. We'll see how it works out in the field next November. My smith says the barrel was installed by someone that really knew what they were doing. We checked the lugs for contact and they are both dead nuts. He thinks it will be a shooter. I just don't know what to expect. I'll load something up and probably shoot it this weekend. We'll see how the weather is.

As for the Cerakote, the guy that does this for me is a great guy to deal with and I asked him if I could give his name out here and he said for sure. He said he does about 6 or 7 rifles per week. His turn around time is excellent and he cares about his customers needs and the quality of work is top notch. I've hunted my other cerakoted rifles and they show little to no wear. The rifle in the above picture on the rock with the light colored bansner stock is another one he cerakoted for me a couple years ago. It's amazing how well the stuff is holding up. As for painting stock: When I paint a stock, I use a heated room as a paint booth. I sand as per usual and let the paint dry between coats. I have used automobile primer before, but have found the clear primer for plastics and synthetics seems to grab the paint better. Somewhat baking it on also helps a lot. I've had numerous PM's about my cerakote guy. I don't really want to give out his information in an open thread because he's not a site sponsor or anything like that. However, if anyone would like his info I'll be glad to pass it along. He has an FFL so he accepts firearms etc...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the new camera, set the aperture to ~f8, use a tripod with remote release, plenty of light (no flash), and focus manually.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was going to mention your photos as being excellent. I especially like the one of your fwt. I'll mess around with this one and see if I can adjust the aperture, I know it has a manual focus option. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hey guys, I snuck my X-mas present out from under the tree. Don't tell my wife. Here are a little better pictures than my dang garmin GPS grin. Hope all you Winchester loving ol guys have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0023_zps9439641f.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0015_zpsb5e5ce71.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0011_zps03bddd70.jpg[/img]

Bought this on sunday the 7th of December and it's complete today. Weighs a hair less than 8 pounds all up right now and it should work out great for next years elk hunt. Feels damn good and well balanced and I really like the glass. I'm hoping it shoots well. We'll see after Christmas.
That turned out beautifully, BSA!! Super cool!! cool

Eric

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I even like the allen-head guard screws!
Bob

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like it came out pretty cool, hopefully it shoots.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sweet rifle, BSA. I really love how that cerakote color turned out with the matte/satin finish.

I've been considering a similar color combo on a stainless classic. It's in a McMillan Hunter with edge fill that is gray with black speckles.

How does the midnight blue look next to sniper gray?

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
drano, let me get a picture of the sniper grey next to the midnight blue cerakote. The midnight blue looks a lot like graphite black, but a little more glossy. I sold my graphite black cerakoted rifle so I can't take a picture of all 3 next to each other for comparison...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drano 25
Sweet rifle, BSA. I really love how that cerakote color turned out with the matte/satin finish.

I've been considering a similar color combo on a stainless classic. It's in a McMillan Hunter with edge fill that is gray with black speckles.

Here's a comparison shot for the sniper grey and midnight blue cerakote:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bottom rifle is sniper grey. Hope this helps...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I shot the new rifle today. I had planned on shooting some loads that I loaded up this morning. I figured I'd shoot some of my loads that were worked up for my Alaskan, just to get it dialed in. I shot more of those loads today than I figured I would. They seemed to shoot pretty good. I'll shoot some of those other loads at a later date. Here's the load data for my 338 Alaskan:

225 gr. Hornady sp interlock
71.5 gr. H4350
Nickel plated R-P brass
CCI 250
3.370" OAL
2,867 fps average velocity (in 338 Alaskan)

First 3 shot group after getting on paper. First shot was from old look thru bore method bore sighting. Adjusted the scope down 8 clicks for 3 shot group:
[Linked Image]

Second group:
[Linked Image]

3rd group:
[Linked Image]

4th group:
[Linked Image]

As you can see, the Swaro was not tracking very well. Even the first adjustment down (8 clicks) was not correct. I adjusted 3 clicks to the left after the third group and it went too far. I then adjusted it 1 click to the right for this last group. 10 shots fired. I screwed up the 8th shot. Entirely my fault:
[Linked Image]

I look forward to seeing how it likes the 250gr. sierra gameking loads I worked up this morning. I fired off 25 rounds today and these are the results. As always, trying to keep it honest here....I see a lot of potential in this rifle and don't know why anyone would get rid of something like this. It feels like one of my fwt's as it weighs right at 8 pounds all up (with ammo). With ammo means it holds 5 rounds wink. Here's the rifle on the stock template which helps to show the ergos/drop at heel, length of fore end, length of grip, etc. etc...:
[Linked Image]

Like Brad has said, the parallel comb helps to mitigate recoil. This one was not bad to shoot off the bench for a light 338. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why did you choose to jewel the bolt rather than have it coated?

Can you take a picture comparing the two forends of the factory vs. Bansner stocks? From the front and the bottom? How do they compare as far as being "round" vs. "flat?"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really like the jeweling. It's a nice contrast to the cerakote, plus it's much slicker than just cerakoting the whole bolt. It may be hard to tell from pictures if there is any difference between the bansner and factory Alaskan stock. I have some old pictures of my 338 Alaskan that I can dig up:

Factory Alaskan stock:
[Linked Image]

All of these stocks are more "rounded" at the forends. No flat bottoms like the Ruger 77's.....

If you are asking about the factory Tupperware on the Classic sporter vs the bansner, I can get pics of those. Let me know which "factory" stock pictures you need..

Another thing about the bolt jeweling: I wanted my smith to hide the old crappy jeweling job. He did a great job. Look at what he had to work with:

[Linked Image]

Now look at what it looks like now:
[Linked Image]

Sometimes you have to go with your gut and sometimes you have to deal with what's given to you..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you are asking about the factory Tupperware on the Classic sporter vs the bansner, I can get pics of those.

Yes, that's what I'm asking. I like a really slim rounded forend, and that Bansner looks like it might have it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The bansner isn't real slim, but the stock is ridiculously light. Around 24 OZ's.... It's lighter than the stock on my 270 fwt. That's just a hunters compact with the standard fill though. For shooting off the bench, the bansner is definitely more comfortable. Here's some pics to tide you over while I get some more for you:

Bansner on pre 64 338:
[Linked Image]

Bansner on classic sporter:
[Linked Image]

Factory Tupperware on classic sporter:
[Linked Image]

Honestly if you are looking for really trim at the forend, the Mcmillan hunters compact is pretty slim. If you get that with the edge fill, it's pretty light as well:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The jeweling looks 1000x better than what you started with. It looks great!

Eric

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a Edge Compact, but did not like it well enough to keep it. Nice forend, but the rest was not shaped to fit me. I did not like the extreme flatness under the mag box on an ADL version, and I find the drop at heel to be far too much for a modern scoped rifle, and always want a small cheekpiece.

The Bansner on your 338 looks like what I want on the rear end. Honestly, what I love are Brown Precision classics, but if the Bansner was awfully close, it is significantly cheaper.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If you are asking about the factory Tupperware on the Classic sporter vs the bansner, I can get pics of those.

Yes, that's what I'm asking. I like a really slim rounded forend, and that Bansner looks like it might have it.

These forends aren't really slim. The McMillan hunters compact is slimmer as I said before. You are also right about the factory Tupperware, in that it is flatter on the bottom:

Factory synthetic from a classic sporter:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bansner on the pre 64 338:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0076_zpsce78ab5a.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0077_zps9699553d.jpg[/img]

Hope that helps DD....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I had a Edge Compact, but did not like it well enough to keep it. Nice forend, but the rest was not shaped to fit me. I did not like the extreme flatness under the mag box on an ADL version, and I find the drop at heel to be far too much for a modern scoped rifle, and always want a small cheekpiece.

The Bansner on your 338 looks like what I want on the rear end. Honestly, what I love are Brown Precision classics, but if the Bansner was awfully close, it is significantly cheaper.

DD, will this be for a new haven classic or pre 64?? I had a brown precision stock for a new haven classic sporter and that was a nice stock. I sold it on ebay just like this (without the recoil pad) for I think $200.00:

I liked the ergo's of it, but decided to just keep using the Tupperware blush...:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by drano 25

Here's a comparison shot for the sniper grey and midnight blue cerakote:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bottom rifle is sniper grey. Hope this helps...

Wow, thanks for that. Both look great, think I have a slight preference for the gray with the brown stock.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
DD, will this be for a new haven classic or pre 64??

Thanks so much for the pics. The Bansner looks nice and round, but not really slim. I have a couple of Browns on Remington actions, and they are perfect for my fit, and very slim in the forend.

Since this would be going on a FWT (either a short classic, a long pushfeed, or a pre64), I need to ask Bansner if they can do a trimmer forend. I think they have a "sheep hunter" version that is trim, but then it eliminates the cheekpiece that I really like.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1OntarioJim, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,912
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.