Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Some need to understand, this has a lot more to do with it than how much faster it is or isn't than a 280.......

This is what I said. Same goes for the 6.5s in question.

If you wanna hash over which cartridges of nearly identical powder capacity are faster, go ahead, but leave me out.

It is clear what cartridges based on which case have accomplished in the real life shooting world. The 06 case is unused, while the 284 case sets records. You do the math.

Again, in a hunting rifle, no performance difference IMO.

For a competitive rig, well, the shooting world has already spoken loud and clear which case is the better choice.....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
As far as competition, was that what the OP asked?

Good question. IDK. All the bullets he alluded to using were match bullets, so......

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jwp475

06 case and the 284 case have nearly the same case capacity and nearly the same velocity, but if splitting hairs the shorter powder colum will be ever so slightly more accurate. That is why the 284 case is so popular with competitors.

Yes. It is considered a mo' betta case. Stronger, less stretching, more efficient powder burn, and Lapua brass is available.

Some need to understand, this has a lot more to do with it than how much faster it is or isn't than a 280.......

Lapua does not make 280 brass???

Last edited by Robert_White; 12/21/14.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Originally Posted by jwp475

06 case and the 284 case have nearly the same case capacity and nearly the same velocity, but if splitting hairs the shorter powder colum will be ever so slightly more accurate. That is why the 284 case is so popular with competitors.

Yes. It is considered a mo' betta case. Stronger, less stretching, more efficient powder burn, and Lapua brass is available.

Lapua does not make 280 brass???

Norma does........no Luppy......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So does Winchester. So does Remington. So does Hornady. Is there something special about Norma that you single it out from the rest?

All are fine for hunting.

NONE are Lapua, nor close......

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
From the OP,

.......For 30-06 based cartridges and below what is the king of the hill for actuall killing critters at the longest distance?....

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
From the OP,

.......For 30-06 based cartridges and below what is the king of the hill for actuall killing critters at the longest distance?....

Sorry y'all!!! LOL I muddied the waters right out of the gate by invoking the 7mm SMK's.

Nonetheless I have greatly enjoyed this thread; we got to yakking up the 284win at the lunch table at work.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Many years ago I was talking cartridges for long range with Bruce Baer and he strongly suggested; first thing to check- does Lapua make brass for it? I went ahead and bought a RUM anyhow... LOL. Just a hint of Scots-Irish blood in my veins does in fact drive me to "frugality" in almost every decision I make.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

If you wanna hash over which cartridges of nearly identical powder capacity are faster, go ahead, but leave me out.

It is clear what cartridges based on which case have accomplished in the real life shooting world. The 06 case is unused, while the 284 case sets records. You do the math.

Again, in a hunting rifle, no performance difference IMO.

Too funny. The guy asks about a hunting rifle, and you prattle on about competition shooting, and to top it off, refer to it as "real world."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's funny is the fact that you got butt hurt because I'd still happily take the 6.5-284 than your AI-ed '06 case and that you somehow feel an imagined 100fps "advantage" carries any weight in said decision.

Don't whine because you built off the wrong case and the rest of the shooting world has proven it.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I clearly stated multiple times that if for hunting, no performance difference. And you clearly decided to ignore this fact.

I'd go 6.5-284. You went 6.5-06AI. So what? Not worth starting a pissing match over. In a hunting rifle they do the same thing....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The BR advantage is too little to count in LR hunting or field shooting.

Is it real, sure it is. But that is a game where winning is often decided by hundredths of an inch. It's all about splitting hairs in every aspect of rifle, and ammo.

There are plenty of precision rigs out there with chamberings with 30-06 case lineage. They shoot very well.

It's probably near impossible to quantify the accuracy potential between a 280 Rem, and a 284 Win, both built for top accuracy, and precision ammo tuned to the rifle. If put to the test, I believe the difference would be less than .1 moa. Yes that would be a quantifiable amount, but it is so small as to get lost in the wind, on most days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone know the water capacity of the 284 vs the 280 AI?

I thought AI-ing the 280 would give it a noticeable bump in capacity over the 284.

And... can '06 Lapua brass be used for the 280?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
So does Winchester. So does Remington. So does Hornady. Is there something special about Norma that you single it out from the rest?

All are fine for hunting.

NONE are Lapua, nor close......

Norma & Horny & Nozler are available today..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The BR advantage is too little to count in LR hunting or field shooting.

Is it real, sure it is. But that is a game where winning is often decided by hundredths of an inch. It's all about splitting hairs in every aspect of rifle, and ammo.

There are plenty of precision rigs out there with chamberings with 30-06 case lineage. They shoot very well.

It's probably near impossible to quantify the accuracy potential between a 280 Rem, and a 284 Win, both built for top accuracy, and precision ammo tuned to the rifle. If put to the test, I believe the difference would be less than .1 moa. Yes that would be a quantifiable amount, but it is so small as to get lost in the wind, on most days.

Spot on as usually.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I clearly stated multiple times that if for hunting, no performance difference. And you clearly decided to ignore this fact.

I seem to recall you saying that building on the 284 case was the only way to go, and the OP should skip the 06 case?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I seem to recall you saying that building on the 284 case was the only way to go, and the OP should skip the 06 case?

Maybe you made a mistake. Is that possible?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sure is, but not this time, you can go back and check if you want.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Bulding upon the 284 Win case, seating long and increasing powder capacity thusly, is the only way to go here, if maximum peformance is the true goal.

Going to be tough to dispute.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If choosing between 7mm's of 280 AI capacity, I will readily skip the LA and the .284 on any platform and go straight to the 7 SAUM....

In fact I would/did pick it over everything listed in this thread..

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,439
Posts18,489,434
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.