Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
As posted below I bought an undrilled 1950 Savage 99. At 70 my eyes just won't work with open sites, so I need a peep to fit the 2 holes drilled in the tang. I would appreciate posting a picture of your recommendation.

Picture with Junior's paw.

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Both Lyman and Redfield made receiver sights that mate to those holes. Both are quality sights, but getting a bit pricey these days. My preference would be for a vintage Lyman tang sight, or a Marbles- older ones are of a better quality than current manufacture IMO. Do a search on eBay. There are always selections of aperture rear sights for Savage 99s to be found there.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
XS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I watched ebay until I found a Lyman at a rational price. Be aware that there are two models for 99s, one for the tang safety models and a different one for yours.

Tang sights are way uberer. smile

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't think XS sights are made for mounting via the two original tang sight screw holes found on vintage 99s, are they? I could be mistaken, but don't they utilize the rear scope block mounting holes, which if this rifle doesn't already have would be a shame to add just for this purpose. Besides, they don't have nearly the range of movement found on the aforementioned vintage sights.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For a classic like that which is unmolested with out holes for a scope, IMO, for what you paid and what you got,,, hold out till you find a Lyman that is the right fit and age for it.
The sight will go up in value and you already are way ahead on the rifle.
If you look on ebay and gun broker you will find it.

Part of the fun.

I just can't see putting a red dot or glow stick on a rifle like that. New Rifles, no problem. Classic in clean shape, no deal.

Merry Christmas

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Lyman receiver sights are a bit hard to find (and frequently expensive) but will offer easier windage adjustment. The tang sight can also be expensive, and may have to be shimmed to get them sighted in. YMMV smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
[quote=Bob_B257]For a classic like that which is unmolested with out holes for a scope, IMO, for what you paid and what you got,,, hold out till you find a Lyman that is the right fit and age for it.

Part of the fun.

Is this what I'm looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lym..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4876980e83

Last edited by gahuntertom; 12/23/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
[quote=Bob_B257]For a classic like that which is unmolested with out holes for a scope, IMO, for what you paid and what you got,,, hold out till you find a Lyman that is the right fit and age for it.

Part of the fun.

Is this what I'm looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lym..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4876980e83

ild go one of those....the other type that i had on one of my 99's required removing some wood....not sure if all models do....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tom, check the Marbles rifle sights site. They still make a tang sight for the 99 and it's quite nice. It's also windage-adjustable. It is about the same price as a vintage piece, however.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tom, check the Marbles rifle sights site. They still make a tang sight for the 99 and it's quite nice. It's also windage-adjustable. It is about the same price as some vintage pieces, however. Around $165.00 IIRC.

http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang.html

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, the Marble's is a very nice tang sight. However, it might look a little "shiny" on that nice old rifle. Depends on what you want.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd agree with the others and go with that Lyman. Classic on classic of the same vintage. Those sights certainly aren't going down in value. The new Marble, while I'm sure it works well, has that "bent sheet metal" look instead of the carefully machined and fitted Lyman.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by KiloCharlie
Tom, check the Marbles rifle sights site. They still make a tang sight for the 99 and it's quite nice. It's also windage-adjustable. It is about the same price as some vintage pieces, however. Around $165.00 IIRC.

http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang.html

Brownells has it for $126.99 but if you read the reviews, 1 user had to cut his stock to make it work. Do you have 1 installed on a M99, if possible I'd raelly appreciate a picture. THANKS tom

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/savage-99-sku579000015-31771-21517.aspx

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I called Marble's customer service and a very nice man said: 1. it would fit my rifle but the base was bent so that it might have to be straightened to fit my rifle. 2. The base would stick over the wood at the end of the tang.

It would really help me if someone could post pictures of the Lyman & Marble sites on a pistol grip rifle.

THANKS tom

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm not sure if there are numerous configurations of tang holes, but there may be another viable option.

When I was a kid back in Corvallis, Montana, our neighbor Ing Nordheim had a Savage 99 with a Saturn Boone scope on it. The Boone scope was attached to the tang.

In fact, I poached my first buck with Ing's Boone-scoped M99 (I didn't say that grin).

Anyway, you might ask the guys down on the Savage Forum if the Boone would work.

If it will, just lurking on E-Bay for a while might net you a Boone.

Below is a photo.

Merry Christmas,

Steve

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Tom,

Here is a little more info on the Boone scope. Apparently, they were made from 1951 until 1954. This was on a Marlin Forum:

�The Boone scope came in 2.5x and 4x. It featured coated lenses and a 4" eye relief, It was 2&3/4" long, weighed a mere 4 oz. and was mounted on a single, vertical dovetail so that it could be quickly removed with the twist of a coin and reinstalled with no change in zero. At 2.5x, it had a field of view of 38 degrees at 100 yards. Finally, like a receiver sight, it could be mounted behind the loading port of a bolt action and did not interfere with the top ejection of Winchester lever actions. What a deal -- yet it totally failed to capture the American shooting market!� It�s an odd-looking contraption. One sold recently on Ebay for $247.00. Evidently they�re very collectible.

Hope this helps,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First.. the new Marbles tang sights "work", but I don't know of hardly any Savage 99 folks that want one on their rifle. For the same price you can probably pick up an older Lyman or Marbles tang sight - which, while not windage adjustable, is far better quality wise.

My top choice is probably the Lyman 29 1/2 or 30 1/2. Pricey, but one of the best.

[Linked Image]

Another choice would be a Lyman #1A, the early Marbles tang sight is similar but has a locking tab behind the stem rather than on the side:

[Linked Image]

More period correct would probably be the Redfield 70LH or Lyman 56S or 57S. A lot of the Lymans seem to have required some wood to be removed on the side of the 99 for it to fit properly, though..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For THAT vintage... I'd first go for a Lyman 29 1/2 or 30 1/2, second I'd go for a Redfield 70. Jmho.

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/23/14.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Anyway, you might ask the guys down on the Savage Forum if the Boone would work.

The Boone scopes do work on a 99 if you can find one, though they have a rep for internal mirrors coming loose (can be repaired, but who wants a scope out of commission on a hunt). They are cool and a nice piece of history, but I haven't owned one yet.

Another choice might be a Stith mount and scope, or one of the custom Lightfoot mounts made by our campfire member named.. Lightfoot. The Stith mounts have a rear base that screws into the 2 tang holes, and a front base secured in the rear sight dovetail. So no new holes need to be drilled. They come in 3/4", 7/8" and 1" sizes - but there are specific scopes which fit each. The Lightfoot scope base fits the same way, but is a modern 1 piece mount on top of which you can mount any modern scope.

Stith mount and a 7/8" base with a Lyman Alaskan scope:

[Linked Image]

Here's the Lightfoot mount:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7539209/Re_Lightfoot_Scope_Mount

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/23/14.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would get a receiver sight myself, as I dislike the tang sights on a 99 meant to be hunted hard.

Williams also made a receiver sight that fits the tang holes. It is aluminum and offers easy adjustments, and is the most compact of the receiver sights that was available. Just right for a hunting gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.