-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to worry about the .300 & .338 RCMs more than the .375s if you check what CDNN is offering under MSRP these days.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
some calibers and cartridges just seem to languish. take the 35 Remington, the 375 Winchester, and the 32 Winchester special.
all great cartridges and chambered in some great guns.
they just don't have the sex appeal of rounds like 375 HH or rigby rounds.
has nothing to do with performance 9 times out of ten. just bragging rights.
the 375 Winchester has killed graveyard dead every animal I ever poked it with. 1 shot every time but one. that was a doe at 325 yards I lobbed two rounds at. first went through her windpipe and second took off her skull cap.
35 rem. all one shot kills, DRT.
32 win spcl kills way beyond what it's paper numbers suggest.
I think a 375 ruger is calling my name.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Remington 700 XCR II in 375H&H would make one heck of an affordable hunting rifle. I think it would be in the same ballpark $-wise as the Ruger African/Alaskan.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
In an action with a trouble-prone box trigger that will freeze up or rust up in the middle of nowhere. The Ruger is ten times the wilderness rifle the Remington is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its a good thing the US military found out about those M 700 problems or they would have been using them for the 40 odd years.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The Remington 700 XCR II in 375H&H would make one heck of an affordable hunting rifle. I think it would be in the same ballpark $-wise as the Ruger African/Alaskan.

Well, well. IF they are close in $$, a PAIR of 375s would be SWEET !!

I agree with what Ingwe said earlier, there's only one 375 (HH). If anything could replace the H H, it would have happened before the 375 Ruger. No other has the HISTORY, REPUTATION, RELIABILITY, and GRANDEUR of the 375 H H.

Now OTOH, there's nothing wrong with having a Younger Brother in a shorter and should be lighter package. There are hunters who simply CAN'T afford the H&H and may live close enuff to hunt Alaska and would feel more comfortable and confident in having the same performance.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by pabucktail
In an action with a trouble-prone box trigger that will freeze up or rust up in the middle of nowhere. The Ruger is ten times the wilderness rifle the Remington is.

I share your concerns, though "freeze up or rust up" is not the potential problem with the 700 trigger. It has always been about the disconnector, which has been eliminated in the XMark version, or with an aftermarket replacement such as Timney.

I would be more worried about the extractor and bolt handle myself. And yes, for true wilderness, I would also take the Ruger. But not many hunters, even the veritable Alaskans, are actually out and away from civilization such that a 700 would be a liability.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, I have seen a 700 trigger become paralyzed, which can happen with an enclosed trigger.

A friend from New England sprayed the trigger of his 7mm Remington Magnum with the notorious WD-40 after the season ended in Vermont. He didn't hunt with the rifle again until the next year, when he came to Montana. We went to the range to check the scope on his rifle after the plane flight, and it wouldn't go bang. We took the stock off and I sprayed the trigger inside and out with with carburetor cleaner until it freed up. Luckily he came out for pronghorn season, so the weather was warm and dry, so the cleaner could evaporate quickly. Even then, however, the pull was much heavier than before, and I had to readjust it.

Have also seen one freeze up after a day of hunting in wet snow. The hunter was staying in a wall tent on a late-season elk and deer hunt, and the temperature dropped to below zero that night, and the next morning the trigger was frozen up. We thawed it by taking the barreled action out of the stock and leaving it next to the wood stove for a half hour.

Enclosed triggers can work fine in nasty weather if maintained correctly. But not everybody even bothers with any maintenance, and in fact my friend from Vermont said he'd sprayed his trigger with WD-40 after every season and never had any problem before.

But a lot of the time, especially on real wilderness hunts, nobody feels like taking their rifle apart to dry and oil the innards after a long day of hunting. And that is where a basic CRF rifle with an open trigger design really helps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Funny thing about Rugers......you don't see many threads about them breaking. A hunt doesn't have to be in the wilderness to be ruined by a rifle going tits up.

I get along with Remingtons, but for a serious use rifle I'll take a Ruger.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Actually, I have seen a 700 trigger become paralyzed, which can happen with an enclosed trigger.

A friend from New England sprayed the trigger of his 7mm Remington Magnum with the notorious WD-40 after the season ended in Vermont. He didn't hunt with the rifle again until the next year, when he came to Montana. We went to the range to check the scope on his rifle after the plane flight, and it wouldn't go bang. We took the stock off and I sprayed the trigger inside and out with with carburetor cleaner until it freed up. Luckily he came out for pronghorn season, so the weather was warm and dry, so the cleaner could evaporate quickly. Even then, however, the pull was much heavier than before, and I had to readjust it.

Have also seen one freeze up after a day of hunting in wet snow. The hunter was staying in a wall tent on a late-season elk and deer hunt, and the temperature dropped to below zero that night, and the next morning the trigger was frozen up. We thawed it by taking the barreled action out of the stock and leaving it next to the wood stove for a half hour.

Enclosed triggers can work fine in nasty weather if maintained correctly. But not everybody even bothers with any maintenance, and in fact my friend from Vermont said he'd sprayed his trigger with WD-40 after every season and never had any problem before.

But a lot of the time, especially on real wilderness hunts, nobody feels like taking their rifle apart to dry and oil the innards after a long day of hunting. And that is where a basic CRF rifle with an open trigger design really helps.

People who have never seen this happen are always the folks who feel it's not an issue....until it happens to them or they see it first hand,then they may see it differently.

Like John implies, it does not take wilderness conditions for it to happen. But being in the outback when it happens sure makes it a lot more inconvenient. All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/27/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

Like prairie goat, I get along well with 700's, having hunted with them a lot. Right now I own several, including one that's gone on a wilderness hunt in northern Canada, taking two caribou. But that doesn't mean they're the most reliable design around.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, good, a chance to use these pictures again!

[Linked Image]

In case it's not obvious, this is an extractor that wouldn't extract. The same rifle that this came out of had a problem with the bolt stop - it wouldn't always stop the bolt. You'd pull it back to load a round and it would come all the way out of the receiver. A new bolt stop and bolt stop spring fixed that.

[Linked Image]

It's not that I hate Remingtons, I've owned more M700's that all other models combined and two my most favorite current rifles are Model 700's. I just don't romanticize reality or pin my ego to possessions and claim that things that happen don't happen 'cause, ya know, if my stuff is bad then I must be less of a man.

Remingtons can break. Not many do, but they provide opportunities for Mr. Murphy that some other rifles don't.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BobinNH
All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field.

Isn't that the truth!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's an interesting read from across the pond. Apparently not many rifles are truly up to par for real fast and furious action.

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ofessional-hunter-proficiency-exam.2604/

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't forget Remington ejectors. They're by no means 100% reliable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me! I've had the ejector on M700's stick in the down position probably three or four times. Brass shavings jammed in the ejector pin hole were the culprit each time, caused either by the extractor shaving brass or a slight burr around the ejector pin hole.

It's an easy fix, you take a rod or some narrow object and push the ejector pin down a few times to work the brass sliver out, but if you needed to reload in a hurry for that one shot, oh well, too bad!

In fairness, I had a Winchester Model 70 that wouldn't eject reliably - a burr in the ejector slot kept the ejector blade from riding up freely. A little polishing of that slot and the ejector itself fixed that, but it seems that for such an important part of the operating cycle rifles would use more than just a weak little spring to push that ejector up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

In fairness, I had a Winchester Model 70 that wouldn't eject reliably - a burr in the ejector slot kept the ejector blade from riding up freely. A little polishing of that slot and the ejector itself fixed that, but it seems that for such an important part of the operating cycle rifles would use more than just a weak little spring to push that ejector up.

Yup that can happen. Not even the M70 is immune to snafus.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
not that I hate Remingtons, I've owned more M700's that all other models combined and two my most favorite current rifles are Model 700's. I just don't romanticize reality or pin my ego to possessions and claim that things that happen don't happen 'cause, ya know, if my stuff is bad then I must be less of a man.

Remingtons can break. Not many do, but they provide opportunities for Mr. Murphy that some other rifles don't.
[/quote]

very well said Jim.
I recently posted a thread on another site about a 3k plus AR platformed 308 that quit working after 4 rounds. brand new. now I am sure it is something simple but when I related it one response sounded like I had said the responder's wife was sleeping with Obama! came within a hair of calling me a liar!
I don't understand that kind of blind loyalty to an inanimate object. still waiting to see what is wrong with the AR.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Yup that can happen. Not even the M70 is immune to snafus.

Poor execution of the work caused the M-70 failure. Of course poor execution of the work is what causes the M-700's bolt handles to come off.

Last edited by jwp475; 12/27/14.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I have seen some guys necking down the Ruger 375 to 7mm and calling it the 7 LRM. Every thing I have read leads me to believe it to be a very good wildcat.

What about the Ruger 375? Is it relegated to novelty? If so, why do you think. Similar ballistics to the 375 H&H but in a standard length action and could be had in 20 and 24" barrels (I think). Anyone seeing the 375 Ruger on store shelves?

Wow, this thread got off track real good!

FWIW- whether or not the .375 is, or becomes, 'dead' in the future, doesn't detract from the fact that this is a great cartridge when teamed up with the Ruger Hawkeye African or Alaskan rifles. My own .375 is the African, with 23" barrel, stocked in a McMillan Mcwoody stook, and topped with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope. All up weight is 9 lb, in a well-balanced package, CRF action, and open sights.
This round is a reloader's dream, with long case life, a wide variety of bullet types and weights available, and MV's which exceed that of the .375 H&H with ease, at least in the 23" barrelled version.
Mine has been to Africa, and Argentina, and to Texas for Nilgai antelope, and it has performed flawlessly on large game.
Like all large calibers, their usefulness in North America is limited, as are the rifles and ammo available. My local gun shop has a Ruger #1 in .458 Lott on consignment, and I suspect it will remain there, unsold, for a very long time!
I hope the .375 Ruger will be around for a long time- it's a great round.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 44mc, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,847
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.