Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Bbear Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Benefits and drawbacks of each?

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This has been beat to death, do a search

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

And 99 out of 100 shooters would never see a difference....maybe 100 out of 100

Although you will get lots of opinions.....

This is going to be good.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hammer Forged (sometimes called rotoforged) third best for accuracy and thermal stability. Offers good quality for mass production at a reasonable price point.

Button rifled, depending on manufacturing processes used, second best for accuracy and thermal stability. Some are among the most accurate aftermarket barrels made.

Cut rifling is generally stress free, produces potentially best accuracy and thermal stability. Slower to produce as each groove is cut separately, can be the most accurate barrels available, or not.

All of the above is true, all of the above is false. Some barrels just shoot phenomenally no matter which process is used, some are abysmal shooters even when everything is done correctly with great care (if the chamber isn't reamed correctly even the best barrel may not shoot as expected). Choosing a manufacturer based on performance record and technique offers some degree of assurance. I use button rifled barrels and cut rifled barrels and sometimes can't tell the difference.

Have fun learning about a really interesting subject.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What he said..
I have seen a nice ruger no 1 in 223 with hammer forges barrel that shot amazing out of the box then start to really fade after 300 rds. Bore scope showed the rifling to be just fine... I always wonder if the stresses were relieving some and bore was getting overall bigger. We just re barreled it and moved on. Never been to fond of the hammer forge process since...

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The quality of the virgin material is far more important to the finished product, in perspective, as is the quality of the "process" used , than the process that is used in its self.

Last edited by jimy; 12/25/14. Reason: you wont understand

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by rembo

Hog wash.........

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Hog wash.........

I'd say each person is answering considering their own shooting skills.. and I do believe many can't outshoot their own gear.

That being said - there is a difference, and cut is best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cut rifled barrels are the current fad.
20 years ago buttoned rifle barrels were the fad.
When done and chambered with care ,both are equal and would exceed the normal shooters ability to tell the difference.
Results from the Original Pa 1000 yard BR club show it.
Anyone saying different is pretty full of themselves
Hammer forged barrels are typically used on production rifles.To save money.Im not saying they cant be dammed fine barrels.But just looking at the process of hammer forging.Your asking for alot.
Never heard of anyone usuing a hammer forged barrel as short or long range BR rifle.Or a high end custom for that matter.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The biggest knock on hammer forged barrels compared to the others is they necessarily have to be soft. A thin barrel is very easy to bend or damage. They have a lot of stress built into them. I don't mind button barrels as long as they are #4 or heaviers. I get cut rifled barrels otherwise. There are lots of bargain button barrels but there are no bargain cut rifled barrels.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by dave7mm
When done and chambered with care ,both are equal and would exceed the normal shooters ability to tell the difference.
Hammer forged barrels are typically used on production rifles.To save money.Im not saying they cant be dammed fine barrels.But just looking at the process of hammer forging.Your asking for alot.
Never heard of anyone usuing a hammer forged barrel as short or long range BR rifle.Or a high end custom for that matter.
dave

Good post Dave. This is exactly right. Fads come and go. There are great barrels and bummer barrels made by everyone. But hammer forged? They are not match grade in any way, they are cheap to make, production.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
As the others have said, hammer forged is for cheap high volume mass manufacturing. Hammer forged barrels are always bottom of the barrel although an occasional one might shoot really well.

Between cut rifling and buttoned it's a tossup. As Dave says, the current fad is cut rifling but I don't believe anyone can statistically show that cut barrels are any better than buttoned. You'll hear guys make statements like they won't use a buttoned barrel if it's light, etc. but there's really no rational basis behind that thinking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dave7mm
dave

I can't say that I've ever had a hammer forged barrel that was as accurate as any of the top line button rifled custom tubes I've owned. I've had some very accurate Remington factory tubes on a re-chambered 280 Ackley and a 300 WM Sendero. Never had a cut rifled barrel, but like Dave said, just look at the winners list of equipment and you'll see both button and cut rifled so if there was a definitive difference, they all would be using the "most accurate" barrel rifling method. Honestly, I think the smith has at least as much to do with the accuracy of a rifle than agonizing over who makes the "best" barrel. I've heard the arguments over stress induced during the rifling process, but considering how many times a custom tube is stress relived during the entire barrel making process, it seems to be a non starter argument to me.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hammer-forged barrels are actually highly regarded in Europe, partly because they've been making them far longer than any American company, so know how to do it. And in general Europeans expect more accuracy from factory rifles than we do. Among some of the companies with reputations for fine accuracy that use hammer-forged barrels are Sako, Steyr and Heym.

One big reason custom barrelmakers don't use hammer-forging is the initial cost of the machinery.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the most consistent day in day out accuracy barrels I've ever had on a deer rifle was a Douglas SS air gaged on a no4 280 AI built by Nelson Berger.
As you can imagine a tend to be a bit pickie about how my rifles shoot.
The button rifled Douglas ...which by the way, was not lapped was just excellent.
And recommended by Nelson. He liked them.Not hard to see why.
These days im playing with a 7mm Mashburn with a 1989 vintage cut rifled barrel from Mark Chanlynn.
For accuracy it has exceeded my expectations.
dave

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Hog wash.........

I'd say each person is answering considering their own shooting skills.. and I do believe many can't outshoot their own gear.

That being said - there is a difference, and cut is best.

Considering the number of world records and precision match wins by Lilja button rifled barrels I think Dan L. might have a slightly different opinion than the above.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't care if benchrest folklore creeps into my deer hunting gear on the non recurring level, like barrels.

But I do care if someone on the internet tells me how to cure my 10 moa groups by deburring the flash holes, a recurring effort.

So I pay for Krieger barrels and Shilen Select match. Even though I can't tell the difference in how they shoot from a Shilen match. I can tell the difference by looking in the bore, but not by shooting.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How does it look different to you ?

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mirror finish vs not.

Look in Hart, Lija, Shilen Select match, Krieger, etc barrels and they are mirror like accurate reflections when illuminated with fiber optic cable and observed under magnification.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (3dtestify, 35, Antique00, 8MMX57JS, 308ld, 808outdoors, 4 invisible), 904 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,264
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.