Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good to hear how many people have never seen this sort of damage with a TSX, so know it can't happen. I've put hundreds of thousands of rounds through various Remington 700's and never had a bolt handle come off, but I know it can happen.

I've seen extensive TSX meat damage now and then. One other time was also when my wife shot a mule deer buck with the same .257 Roberts and load--except this was back before the Tipped TSX appeared, so the bullet was the hollow-point version of the 100-grain.

The buck was standing broadside in tall sagebrush 50 yards away, so only the top half of the body was visible. The bullet landed at the bottom edge of the shoulder blade, behind the joint, and went through the top of both lungs. We lost most of that shoulder--despite the bullet only going through the shoulder blade and not the joint.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I think I am going back with the 130gr SP Hornady Interlocks, never had a failure with any caliber, and half the cost. I'm using 117 BTSP in 25-06, and working on 180gr 300 win mag. Can't go wrong with the Hornady line for deer sized game in my opinion.

Fück Joe byron
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Coincidentally, I shot a mule deer buck a day after my wife did--and with a 130-grain Hornady SP Interlock from a .270 Winchester. Less meat was damaged with the Hornady, but my buck was at least twice as far away, and muzzle velocity was around 100 fps slower.

I've also had excellent luck on deer with Interlock Spire Points, using bullets from the 100-grain .25 to the 200-grain .338.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
I think I am going back with the 130gr SP Hornady Interlocks, never had a failure with any caliber, and half the cost. I'm using 117 BTSP in 25-06, and working on 180gr 300 win mag. Can't go wrong with the Hornady line for deer sized game in my opinion.

I shot 3 deer over the weekend with 139 grn Interlocks from a 7mm-08. Every bullet fragmented into very small fragments and left me chasing them through the meat and even throwing away a bit because it likely contained fragments. I dug out several very small fragments. I didn't find anything larger than 1/10 of those bullets. All shots were from 20 - 80 yards though.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 12/28/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes things happen like that... I have seen the humble ol' 30-30 blood-shoot up most of the "backstrap" from a high hit to the spine.

The shot was angled a little toward the rear of the deer, entry was top of shoulder and exited mid back, but most of the meat was toast clean to the rump. A single factory 150 gr core-lokt was the culprit, Average size whitetail range 50'ish yards... Wound looked similar to the one in your deer Hammer2506, just a different path in the deer.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Damage not as drastic as that in the op's pics but, was surprised at the amount of bloodshot meat on a deer a few geeks ago....slightly quartering away at approx. 60 yds., 130 gr. Partition out of a 270 entered just behind the left shoulder and messed up the opposite shoulder even though it did not exit directly through it....hydrostatic shock at 3100+fps will sometimes mess things up.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am sure this was a TTSX 130gr load, thats the only thing I shoot through 270. Besides ballistic tips are yellow in the 270. This was about the worst I've seen with a TTSX ever. Nothing even close with 7mm 140gr's. But clipping the back edge of the shoulder blade caused the bullet to come apart I would assume.

Did you catch the "elbow" by chance?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
80 gr. TTSX at 3,600 fps out of a .240, 130 # doe at 85 yds. I dug double hands full of clot out of the cavity. Fair amount of damage inside the chest, she ran 100 yds. Had to find her at night in the woods.

DF

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
R H Clark,

You might want to contact Hornady about that. I've shot quite a few animals with the 139 Interlock, both flat-base and boattail, from the 7x57 and .280 Remington, on game up to cow elk sized. They've mostly exited, and the few I did find were mushroomed back to the Interlock ring.

Any company can put out a bad batch of bullets. I was talking to Hornady official this spring and he said once in a while they get somebody on the line who tries to hurry things up. The result can be shallower Interlock rings, higher inside the jacket.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I shot 3 deer over the weekend with 139 grn Interlocks from a 7mm-08. Every bullet fragmented into very small fragments and left me chasing them through the meat and even throwing away a bit because it likely contained fragments. I dug out several very small fragments. I didn't find anything larger than 1/10 of those bullets. All shots were from 20 - 80 yards though.

I used to use them in the 7mm STW and got 90% exits with spectacular kills. One thing though, I used the flat-base version, the boat-tail likes to come apart.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jaycee
Not a 270, but I used a 100 gr TTSX in a 257 Weatherby on a 5-point white tail a month ago and it completely destroyed the front end - you'd have needed to eat it with a straw. 177 yards on the laser afterwards. It was a perfect heart shot, cut a notch out of the top of the heart and took out all of the big blood vessels coming out of the top. It still ran 71 paces. Every 10 feet or so it looked like someone had sprayed a gallon of red paint on the snow. The only bone hit going in and out were ribs. Both sides were layered bloodshot from the brisket to the withers and part way up the neck.

I've been using X's of one kind or another since they first came out 25+ years ago, and have never seen damage like this. This was the first Tipped X that I have shot an animal with, and the first blood for my 257 Wby, although a grand total sum of one doesn't prove anything. The load was a 100 gr TTSX over 76 grains of Magnum and a Fed 215 in Weatherby cases, and according to the Chrony is going just shy of 3600 fps corrected 15' from the muzzle. I have no idea how fast it would have been travelling at 177 yards, but WOW, I'm a little leary to use it again.

been using the same as you just used, for 3-4 years now, and have never seen damage like that.

But from a few years of hunting, every now and then something happens you don't expect.

Will say though, we stay off shoulders and always have done so.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
We lost most of that shoulder--despite the bullet only going through the shoulder blade and not the joint.

Couldn't be. grin

Last edited by tzone; 12/29/14.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, that's what I thought too!

The most consistent way I've found to minimize meat loss even with monometal bullets is to keep muzzle velocity moderate--and keep the bullet in the ribs.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good to hear how many people have never seen this sort of damage with a TSX, so know it can't happen. I've put hundreds of thousands of rounds through various Remington 700's and never had a bolt handle come off, but I know it can happen.

Damm funkiller that MD is....... frown

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Damm funkiller that MD is....... frown

Yeah, reality overdose, for sure... shocked

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Going in one side, out the other and destroying everything in between is what TSX's do best, and the reason I use them.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
High velocity bullet impacts destroy meat. You'd be disappointed if they didn't.

7mm 120g TTSX @ 2900

Entrance
[Linked Image]

Same hole under the hide.
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Damage on the ribs shouldn't bother anyone.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.