-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find a dairy close by and buy a couple day-old calves. Feed 'em milk supplement until they are eating good.

When they get ready, sell one and butcher one. You'll recover ALL your expenses that way.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wait until late spring/early summer, when the grass is in good shape and buy a couple steers or heifers in the 4-600 lb range. If your 2 acres can handle them all summer, sell one in late August for profit and use your free barley to grain the other in preparation for butcher a month or so later.

If you check around, you might be able to sell the one intended for profit to someone else wanting a butcher animal. That way you could keep both together until butcher time.

I'd get a known docile breed for raising in a small pasture. Try to buy both animals from one source that has them vaccinated and ready for turn out on summer pasture.

I'd stay clear of a cow/calf situation for what you want to do mostly because your acreage can't handle grazers year-round.

Last edited by Lonny; 12/28/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two acres is not enough even with 40 inches. You have to be able to rotate and rest, and even then, you need to FEED. That means tractor, hay bale trailer, or pay through the nose to have it delivered.
Best case is you buy one or maybe two spring feeder calves, put them on the grass until it's gone, then slaughter. Even so, that's not so great.
Find someone with some goats who can bring them in, let them mow, then take them away.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The old, "The smaller the herd, the bigger the hat", comes to mind.

Sam Olson might come along after chores, but I'll recommend, unless you want a PHD from the school of hard knocks, you leave the cow punching to the pros.

It's actually the cattle that do the punching!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get a weaned calf. Plan on penning it up regularly so that it doesn't ruin your pasture (when it's muddy, when it's too dry, when it's been grazed down, etc). When raising cattle, you're really trying to "raise grass" perpetually; the cattle are an extra.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of soils in Wetter Washington are glacial silt, low in nutrient content and the grass makes mediocre forage. I don't raise beef anymore but got away with two on three and one-half acres. About two acres was improved pasture that had been tilled, fertilized and seeded with good grass. I'd start with one animal and plan on supplementing the feed. It might go better and you can try two the second year.

Some critters just don't take to a small pasture. Had one angus that would break fences regularly and mostly go under the wires. Most I raised were herefords or hereford crosses.

Good luck with your beef project. It is mostly rather fun but there are times like riding the handlebars of my neighbor's half ton steer down a busy road that I'd rather forget.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This will start a fight but Hereford would be better for a new guy. Angus have a rep. for being a little ornery and testing fences. Herefords are more calm. However they seem smarter and a little more stubborn. They learn from bad experiences and will avoid a repeat, ie. getting vet work in a headgate. Wont go back in very easy.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Find a dairy close by and buy a couple day-old calves. Feed 'em milk supplement until they are eating good.

When they get ready, sell one and butcher one. You'll recover ALL your expenses that way.

I'll be damned, I'm in full agreement with one of curdog's posts! Done it this way myself. Anybody says a holstein isn't good eating never ate one I fed out. grin Cheap as hell to buy (dairy has very little use for a bull calf), band the nuts, feed it milk replacement till it's old enough to wean off, then turn them loose on the grass. Up to you how you want it to taste, but the last couple weeks of life I fed em out on whatever grain leavings I could get cheap off the neighbors. Trick is though selling the other steer. Lots of folks turn their noses up at a dairy breed for meat. Last one I did I fed out a holstein steer, and sold the red angus I had to keep him company and actually made money on the deal.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Unless you've got some really schitty luck, doing a couple steers isn't hard. Just make sure your fence is good, and don't make them TOO freindly, a big phoucing steer bounding across the pasture to come play isn't as cute as it is when their little. Sounds simple i know, but trust me.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several years ago, when cattle were dirt cheap, one of the dairy farmers at Windthorst,Tx put a portable pen right on U S 287. He put 5 day old bull calves in it and a big sign that said FREE.

Next morning he had 7 calves in the pen!

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Around here people are getting north of $500 for a decent Holstein bull calf. Which still might be the cheapest option.

The only thing I'll add is chitty feed equals a chitty animal. Feed it the best you can and you'll be rewarded at the table.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Damn, I paid $80 apiece for the last ones I bought.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would go with a couple few sheep, and buy a 1/2 beef every year.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Damn, I paid $80 apiece for the last ones I bought.

I heard the Midwest feedyards are buying them up. I guess with cattle numbers so low they started buying dairy steers to fill space and keep them going.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
week old dairy steers are hitting $400 each here. I paid $90 each for 2 week old Jersey steers 18 months ago. Agree on getting a couple of dairy steers if you are feeding out to eat. They grow slower and the yield will be less but they are great eating. With only 2 acres you will need a good source for hay as well as the grain. By the way all steers can get frisky so if you get some work with them daily and make sure to watch your back when they get big enough to hurt you. The last ones I had I did not dehorn and one of them got pretty bullish and hooked me a couple of times. Dehorn and castrate them early. By the way his heart is in the soup pot tonight.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh yeah, forgot about the dehorning powder. grin

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the info fellas!

I'm going to hit a couple auctions and see what's what. If I can get a youngin' around Feb / March, we'll see what it does by end of October. Maybe it'll be worth it.....maybe not.

As much grass that grows in that spot, I can't imagine one cow will starve on it, but I'll find out.

Any of you guys ever feed spent grain from a brewery?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes great bait for hog traps.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Several years ago, when cattle were dirt cheap, one of the dairy farmers at Windthorst,Tx put a portable pen right on U S 287. He put 5 day old bull calves in it and a big sign that said FREE.

Next morning he had 7 calves in the pen!

lmaorotf!!!!!!!
right now is a poor time to get into meat cattle. prices for cow/calf pairs are making me sorry I sold out last summer!
the best bet if the idea is meat for your self is the dairy calf.
get one straight from a dairy though or be prepared to lose a few auction calves to scours.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know what's important for a cow but reminder - that spend grain will have all the sugars boiled out of it. That's what makes wort - or the precurser to beer.

I'd be surprised if there's much nutritional value left after it goes through the process.

Me

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (aaronward9, 10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 6MMWASP, 79S, 8 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,555
Posts18,510,427
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.