Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're right, and even taking an adult guy who'd never been hunting before will kept more than taking a kid who has no way to go hunting without an adult.

In the late 80's a friend of mine had long expressed interest in hunting but never did anything about it. After talking to me, his wife bought a well-used 1917 Enfield sporter for him at a gun show, and I fixed it up (after a local store made a mess out of mounting a scope) and got him shooting. Then I took him hunting, and he got his first deer that fall, at 40. Today he and his college-age daughter are best hunting buddies, and I am betting her kids will hunt.

Taking an interested adult hunting can be far more productive than taking a kid.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
No, that is a very plausible chain or series of events. I believe, however sometimes I don't agree with the conclusions of theologians nor do I have the personal capacity to interpret the conclusive meaning of the word. But no doubt your thoughts have merit.

I am by no means dogmatic about it as I am perhaps much like you.

John -

Those are very interesting observations and experiences but, to my point, you show how it is ever more problematic to obtain access to land and freedom to own and use firearms. Politically, there may be concessions won but then two lost. And part of that problem is a growing body politic with no experience with or tradition of firearms and hunting.

True, it will be a slow process but the trend, the direction overall, is not a positive one IMO.

I would love to be completely on error on this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good point, John. Adult men who never had someone to take them would be good to have on our side too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our state started a youth mentor program several years ago. While I feel it is being abused for extra tags, it is a good thing. This year they started an adult program to encourage older folks to start. In my area deer numbers are not helping, we are losing older hunters to discouragement, but hopefully this will turn around.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
Who cares ,most of us will not be here.

I sure as hll care. My grandson will be here, and he loves being in the field or on the water. That's Who Cares!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Land owners used to be a lot more open to giving permission to hunters to hunt their land. Now, if somebody owns land, expect a lease with a premium pricetag.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I rather hope I'm wrong, but I think 'hunting' is going to take on a new meaning to most, likely inside of 50 years. The pessimist in me does not see a harmonious solution to the issues that divide our country.

So, hunting? Yep. What kind? Who knows?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's not forget the drive by states to make hunting as expensive as possible. (Not on purpose I'm sure. Well, OK, I'm not)

Kentucky 2000 - $140 for an out of state license + deer (pulling that from memory)
Kentucky 2013 - $190 for an out of state license + deer
Kentucky 2014 - $240 for an out of state license + deer

At the same time we're down to one buck and no doe for zone 4 and a 10 day modern rifle season. That's a whole lot of money for me to hunt a farm I pay taxes and insurance on. In fact, if I lived on the homestead I would't even need a license.

While fortunate for me that the money is not an issue, but getting a violation would be a big deal so I buy a license. The five family members who I hunt with from out of state are not so fortunate so they hunt sans license. It's a risk for them and they didn't use to but now they do. The result is we lost five hunters (statistically) and the deer they kill do not get reported. The state got an additional $50 from me and at the same time gave up $950 from those that don't buy a license.

I understand the good the money does and have had hunting and or fishing licenses in the last year in MD, VA, WV, PA, RI, MT and Newfoundland but fiscal realities for families are fiscal realities. I wonder how many family places are in the same boat? It's worse when a father has to consider how much he's going to spend for a son or daughter that may not even be that interested.

I did find this study License cost vs participation which has some interesting, albeit dated, info.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Land owners used to be a lot more open to giving permission to hunters to hunt their land. Now, if somebody owns land, expect a lease with a premium pricetag.

In this area a lot of land has become non accessible because of slob hunters and landowners won't lease because of that experience. This forms pockets of sanctuary habitat and makes it difficult to manage the regional deer herd.

Another consideration for closing land to hunting is liablity. I allow certain individuals to hunt my property, however I carry a million dollar umbrella. I have had some creative individuals approach me that carry their own liability insurance and back it up with a certificate of insurance to be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to me. Just the other day a hunter approached me and said he would sign a waiver of liablity.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surprised to see Pa. on your list. Since we started charging the best part of a c-note for non resident we have lost many of them. Many family have quit coming with the cost and herd reduction. We used to attract a lot of out-of-staters, now there are other states with a lot of deer and more big ones.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Surprised to see Pa. on your list. Since we started charging the best part of a c-note for non resident we have lost many of them. Many family have quit coming with the cost and herd reduction. We used to attract a lot of out-of-staters, now there are other states with a lot of deer and more big ones.

To be fair, as I noted fishing and hunting and in PA I only bought a fishing license. Did buy a hunting license in WV, VA, KY, MD and Newfoundland.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've lived in the same PA county for 40 years. Long enough to gain some connections to private land hunting. And I used to hunt plenty of it. But now its all housing developments , leases, or new landowners who either don't allow hunting or reserve it for their family. So I'm reduced to public land hunting only and I see some deer, not many though. I think more and more the hunting public is going to be forced onto public land in the future.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I figure as long as there's hunting and gun ownership in Liechtenstein (and there is) we shouldn't be worrying too much about its future here. Things will change, but they always do.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
About 3 years ago I was on the way to the farm to see if I could kick up a deer in the late afternoon, Driving down the road I had to slow down on the two lane as I approached an Amish kid standing straight up on a buckboard. Couldn't have been more than 13 or 14. Slung across his back he had his gun, obviously he was going to do the same thing.

Arrived at the farm to find a troupe of about 5 youngsters, the 2 oldest being about 12 with shotguns.............looking for deer.

Arrived at the wildlife area on opening day a little while back at about 5:00 am waiting to be drawn for a duck blind and my buddy commented that the youngster who was with his father should be in school. My reply was that the memories forged that day with his dad were far more important than anything he would have learned in school that day.

I have an Asian lady friend who loves to go hunting with me. Loves to fish to, wouldn't believe some of the catfish she has pulled in unless you've seen them. Biggest problem is I can't get her to sit still for very long!

Change yes, die out no, we are already working on the next generation who seem to enjoy the outdoors.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Life long hunter here, I'm 65.

I work a couple days at a great family owned gun shop and sporting goods store in SW MT and what I see is a healthy interest among kids and a growing population of younger women. I'm speaking of hunting. I also see a lot of savvy among many women hunters.

Like some others when I was a lad my bicycle and a shotgun tied to the handlebars got me to places that helped me to imagine Jack O'Conner trips. That's all gone.

Public access is getting tougher, and some of the "drive-by" and unskilled "long range" hunters made an awful mess of committed what can only be called blatant criminal actions on the Cameron Flats just last month. No hunting skills involved, just slob a-holes blazing away and trespassing. Does not help our image amongst the non-hunting community.

Our kids hunt and we are teaching proper shooting and hunting skills to the next generation. Hope others are doing the same.

Access is the issue, we must assure a place to hunt and one that is within the means of working people, not just the wealthy and well connected.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Battue, I am not a pessimist in the long run being a practicing Christian, but I would venture there will be no or little hunting in fifty years and that guns of all types will probably be banned, or nearly so; except for the elites maybe. Maybe it'll be here in twenty-five years; maybe a hundred and fifty but that's the direction I see we are moving in.

I see us progressing down this continuum a degree or two at a time. The Bible references (according to many evangelical theologians) an end-time, totalitarian, world-wide regime where personal freedoms will be completely lost outside of one politically correct one. See any hints or foreshadowing of that now?

Yes I do, its called the United Nations.

Though the bible does fortell these events is does describe a time shortly after this when Jesus on a white horse and angelic forces will ride to eliminate all political rulers of this world and the Rulership given to Jesus by his father will take there place.

At that time as Jesus stated in Mathew 5:5 The meek shall inherit the earth!!!!

In my opinion at that time ones will be able to hunt under peaceful conditions with out oppression of ones God given rights. laugh

Its going to be awesome!

Shod laugh

Last edited by Shodd; 12/28/14.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds good Shod! Count me in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

In this area a lot of land has become non accessible because of slob hunters and landowners won't lease because of that experience. This forms pockets of sanctuary habitat and makes it difficult to manage the regional deer herd.

Another consideration for closing land to hunting is liablity. I allow certain individuals to hunt my property, however I carry a million dollar umbrella. I have had some creative individuals approach me that carry their own liability insurance and back it up with a certificate of insurance to be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to me. Just the other day a hunter approached me and said he would sign a waiver of liablity.

That makes sense.

As a hunter that doesn't own land. I fully realize that it's a privilege to be on another man's land. I'd have no problem signing such paperwork. Furthermore, I'd want to better the land and habitat, and as such, I'd be willing to help the land owner here and there with some small projects.

It certainly goes both ways. Land owners should be able to vet those that desire to hunt their land. A lack of care of that property by the hunter costs the landowner dearly. It shouldn't be taken lightly.

You allow me to hunt your land, I'll be more than willing to help clear some brush for you, or paint your barn, or what be it.

And what an opportunity to pass on to the younger generation. Respect other people's stuff, and they just might let you use it! shocked

Last edited by HugAJackass; 12/28/14.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
Sounds good Shod! Count me in.

I'm not really the one in charge of that. laugh

However I can tell you where to find more answers that are in harmony with The statement Jesus made in Mathew 5:5 when he said the meek will inherit the earth.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A couple of observations. The quality of hunting equip. has increased 10 fold the last 20 years. In the same time period, the quality of the average hunter has decreased substantially as well. That is not to say that there are not good hunters out there, because there are. It is just that the percentage of good hunters has/is going down. Many young people (and adults) are ruled by the machines as well. Hunting is not an interest. As stated it has to be cultivated in children. My boys go with me all the time and are already good hunters with a passion for it. No video games, no machines, just lots of Montana country.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.