Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

this is a video of the LRHS, if your too board to watch the entire video fast forward to the 5 minute mark. look at how terrible that reticle looks at 3x. I don't know about you guys but I typically leave my scopes on the lowest power setting when I am hunting and only switch to high power if I need to use the turret and thus use the features of the reticle. Even if the scope is dialed to 4, 5, or 6, IMO the reticle still looks poor. This isn't because the optic is bad or even that the reticle is poorly designed, its just the nature of being FFP. I don't see why if your taking a long range shot why you would not be on high power with a scope like this. if thats the case why not have a more useable SFP reticle on low power where the scope is likely to spend most of its time in a hunting application.

Sometimes I think there needs to be a dose of reality. There is a ton of group think and pack mentality out there with people thinking the scope must be FFP. FFP has distinct disadvantages. Flame suit on,

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somehow there are plenty of guys stacking up big critters with that scope.... Funny how that works...

Tanner

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Can't imagine that video camera does the reticle justice. I can't see the fine crosshairs at all on low power or the mil adjustments on high power.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, the beauty of the FFP scopes is that you can make the reticle any size you want. Try that w/a 2nd focal plane. My S&B 3-12 Klassic can be used on 3 power in daylight and 7-9x at dusk w/the same lethality. powdr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, the beauty of the FFP scopes is that you can make the reticle any size you want. Try that w/a 2nd focal plane. My S&B 3-12 Klassic can be used on 3 power in daylight and 7-9x at dusk w/the same lethality. powdr

I'm willing to bet fifty cents against anyone's quarter that the majority of posters here have never used a FFP scope and yet every year kill stuff in low light in early morning or late afternoon. Some here like fixed magnification scopes and others prefer variables. The ones with the variable kill stuff on all different settings despite not being able to change the size of the reticle.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Sometimes I think there needs to be a dose of reality.

Yes. It's called skill, knowledge, and experience. Of which you constantly seem to want to show that you lack.

This is easy- have you used the scope and reticle in question? Have you done what you constantly smack talk in competition, military or training?

It is not personal, however, no one should care about shooting at coyotes when you consistently show a lack of basic understanding of some pretty simple concepts in equipment ability.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by powdr

did you mean the opposite of what you said? FFP the reticle is the same subtention (size) relative to target regardless of scope power. it size changes in apperances but doesn't relative to the target. SFP is the one that changes in subtension relative to scope power. you can't change the size of a FFP reticle Its the same SIZE at all powers.

form, go keep being a sniper ninja tacticool dude.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 12/29/14.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I personally want my reticle to be big and bold on low power in the black timber and thinner at long range on my hunting rifles.
I'm not in the military, competition, or training.
SFP works best for me.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

did you mean the opposite of what you said? FFP the reticle is the same subtention (size) relative to target regardless of scope power. it size changes in apperances but doesn't relative to the target. SFP is the one that changes in subtension relative to scope power. you can't change the size of a FFP reticle Its the same SIZE at all powers.

CC why not just buy one and try it out,if you aren't happy with it just ask Bushnell for a refund, maybe you will be pleasantly surprised!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Why didn't you answer the questions?

How many animals have you killed in the last year with both FFP and SFP scopes? Types?

How many rounds and under what conditions have you shot in the last year with both FFP and SFP scopes?

....Don't think I'd be trying to interject "reality", when it is a reality that I'd never experienced....

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I personally want my reticle to be big and bold on low power in the black timber and thinner at long range on my hunting rifles.
I'm not in the military, competition, or training.
SFP works best for me.

I use both heavily. Dedicated LR guns get FFP scopes almost exclusively. The value with FFP is that the reticle subtentions are correct no matter what power it is on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

I'm willing to bet fifty cents against anyone's quarter that the majority of posters here have never used a FFP scope and yet every year kill stuff in low light in early morning or late afternoon. Some here like fixed magnification scopes and others prefer variables. The ones with the variable kill stuff on all different settings despite not being able to change the size of the reticle.

The "size" of the reticle never changes with a FFP system Rich. You can keep the quarter though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FFP for big game hunting.
SFP for target work.
SFP is and always has been inferior to FFP for big game hunting.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

To clarify, a FFP reticle most certainly does change size as magnification changes. What stays constant is angular subtension.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by herschel34
Can't imagine that video camera does the reticle justice. I can't see the fine crosshairs at all on low power or the mil adjustments on high power.

+1

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by dave7mm
FFP for big game hunting.
SFP for target work.
SFP is and always has been inferior to FFP for big game hunting.

dave

How and why? Honestly don't know, never played with a FFP scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No offense Dave, but you are stating an opinion as was I. If you select a bold enough reticle for low light, than the "growing" reticle offers no real advantage, IMO. To be clear, I'm talking about ranges where we're "holding on hair" or where sub-tensions aren't needed do to distance, say under 300 yrds with flat shooting rounds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

To clarify, a FFP reticle most certainly does change size as magnification changes. What stays constant is angular subtension.

What changes in "size" is the entire image, not the reticle only.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought two of these scopes this fall thinking they would be the end all be all for a hunting scope. I realized I do not like FFP scopes that go to 3 power. The reticle is useless below 5 power for me. I shot a buck at about 150 yards through thick timber and had to put the scope on 6 power to see the center of the reticle. A follow up shot would have been very difficult (if needed) due to lack of field of view.

I will be selling both of the scopes and go back to SFP for hunting. If I am shooting far enough to hold for wind I will be on the highest power anyway so I don't need FFP. For close shots and shots at dawn and dusk I will have a nice thick reticle on whatever power I choose.

Everyone has an opinion and knows what they like. I like SFP for hunting and a power range of 3-12 or 4-16 for big game.

The men who designed this scope certainly know what they are doing and should get respect for their accomplishments, this scope just doesn't work for me and I have used it.

My .02, Gary

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Whatchasellin?

David

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.