Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MILES58

You might want to spend some time behind a 1.5-6x42 Euro scope in FFP before you tell the world they suck for hunting scopes.

I agree with you there. I have one of these, and it does work brilliantly for short and medium ranges, daylight and dark. Hunting is all I use it for.

Mind you, I do have a mix of FFP (including fixed of course) and SFP scopes, so I have no particular dog in this fight. One advantage of the FFP variable that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is the fact that it wont change POI with magnification changes, something inherent to the SFP design (though minimised in really good scopes).

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One other point about SFP's scopes I have used that I have noticed is that in certain light conditions, the reticules tend to "silver out"??

My Swarovski z5 turns golden.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That just.means it's. Wire reticle not etched glass typically

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As stated before, a FFP with good illumination system (flashdot for example) never loses the reticle no matter the power setting or light condition

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

I love to see guys show up with their ?2.5-12? optic, duplex reticle, capped turret scope sighted in at 300 yds... Raggedy ole boots from miles of walking and ready to hunt... They are at PBR from 0 out to 350 or so and if its further than that we can creep in and get stuff killed... Those days are gone...

Same here.

Great post, btw.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
No offense Dave, but you are stating an opinion as was I. If you select a bold enough reticle for low light, than the "growing" reticle offers no real advantage, IMO. To be clear, I'm talking about ranges where we're "holding on hair" or where sub-tensions aren't needed do to distance, say under 300 yrds with flat shooting rounds.

Right on RD. I guess I never knew what I was missing.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Good post. You would think guys dropping coin for hunts would pay more attention to this stuff.

Thanks Bob and I agree 110%...

Sad thing is, every year more and more guys show up, with their $6500 rifle, $3000 optic, Dope chart taped to the stock and think they are gonna run out and hammer stuff at 800 yds because they paid for the equipment to do it...Hell, they watched the video and the snakeoil salesman told them it'd do it... Most don't put in the time at the range, or prepare for the hunt to allow the stamina to stalk an animal... They show up in their new Kenetrek's ready to shoot long range without the ability to do so...

I love to see guys show up with their ?2.5-12? optic, duplex reticle, capped turret scope sighted in at 300 yds... Raggedy ole boots from miles of walking and ready to hunt... They are at PBR from 0 out to 350 or so and if its further than that we can creep in and get stuff killed... Those days are gone...

EHG: Well.....they aren't gone forever. smile

What you run into is a form of "target panic" aka a subtle form of buck fever brought about by a lack of preparation and too much to worry about when it comes time to kill.

All the technology is not always a benefit.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Good post. You would think guys dropping coin for hunts would pay more attention to this stuff.

Thanks Bob and I agree 110%...

Sad thing is, every year more and more guys show up, with their $6500 rifle, $3000 optic, Dope chart taped to the stock and think they are gonna run out and hammer stuff at 800 yds because they paid for the equipment to do it...Hell, they watched the video and the snakeoil salesman told them it'd do it... Most don't put in the time at the range, or prepare for the hunt to allow the stamina to stalk an animal... They show up in their new Kenetrek's ready to shoot long range without the ability to do so...

I see the same type come through here ever so often. They seem to underestimate this thing called "wind", or worse "swirling,gusting wind". Make's fools out 'em.

I'm a creeper.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

this is a video of the LRHS, if your too board to watch the entire video fast forward to the 5 minute mark. look at how terrible that reticle looks at 3x. I don't know about you guys but I typically leave my scopes on the lowest power setting when I am hunting and only switch to high power if I need to use the turret and thus use the features of the reticle. Even if the scope is dialed to 4, 5, or 6, IMO the reticle still looks poor. This isn't because the optic is bad or even that the reticle is poorly designed, its just the nature of being FFP. I don't see why if your taking a long range shot why you would not be on high power with a scope like this. if thats the case why not have a more useable SFP reticle on low power where the scope is likely to spend most of its time in a hunting application.

Sometimes I think there needs to be a dose of reality. There is a ton of group think and pack mentality out there with people thinking the scope must be FFP. FFP has distinct disadvantages. Flame suit on,

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not to flame anyone, just an observation!

[Linked Image]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
No offense Dave, but you are stating an opinion as was I.

None taken RD.
Yes I am.
Just looking at the scope in the pic up top I'd say its a poor excuse for a FFP reticle.
Its to thin.
Most euro FFP reticles in hunting scopes have alot more coverage than that thing.SO its no surprise that when you turn the power down you cant see it.
Poor execution of a european idea by a chi-com company for an american consumer.
I will give them credit for trying.
Other thing I see here is why, when woods hunting, carrying a scope on lower power, would a person care if you could see all the ghost rings mil-dots and christmas trees when the shots you'll be taking in the woods would be what 75 100 150 yards?
On the FFP reticles I 've used from Zeiss and S&B.The reticles are heavy enough that at the lower powers i've never had a problem. And I have done quit a bit of the running and jumping stuff at close range in thick crap.

Originally Posted by MILES58

You might want to spend some time behind a 1.5-6x42 Euro scope in FFP before you tell the world they suck for hunting scopes. 500-600 yards is easy enough for them and the game that gets shot outside that distance is a pretty tiny percentage of what hunters kill every year. As light fades and distance grows that reticle becomes ever more important. FFP reticles designed for low light and optics to handle low light are what those 1.5-6x42s are designed to be used for, by people who have a pretty good idea of what they're about.

This.
Originally Posted by SAKO75
As stated before, a FFP with good illumination system (flashdot for example) never loses the reticle no matter the power setting or light condition

This.
Flash Dots and illumination have a whole different level of
flexability.

I have always found that guys that came up on leupold variables have a problem with euro FFP reticles.In the beginning.Its an acquired taste.Some guys never acquire it.
Thats fine to.But for low light.And not shifting POA during power changes.
Its very difficult to beat a FFP reticle.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is awesome! A "dose of reality" is maybe what the guys who designed the scope were using when they did so. Heck, I'd bet one of these scopes in MT has been used to make more dead coyotes than the scopes the OP has in total.

I and I imagine everyone else realizes CC doesn't like FFP scopes. The rants occur often enough... I have 1 FFP scope I hunt with and it has worked for me. I plan on using it next year on pronghorns again and am considering switching some of my others to FFP as funds allow.

Form- Take it easy on him, he posted a pic of him with a coyote once...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[color:#FFFF33][/color]
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Not to flame anyone, just an observation!

[Linked Image]

grin Astute.......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Based on recent purchases - to me - this FFP reticle was made for playing sniper. SS MQ.

[Linked Image]

And this FFP was made for killing game. Meopta 4C Illum.

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks Jordan, I was hoping someone would come along w/some brains. These asshats that have never used one or don't know what they're talking about always spew chit out their azz. The reticle does in fact get larger and smaller as the power is increased and decreased. Anybody w/one brain cell would know if they ever looked through one and rotated the power ring. I can hunt brush w/mine on 3 power and a small, easy to see reticle or put it on 8 or 9 on a moonlit night and make a kill. Until you arm chair QB's buy and use one go play w/your erector sets you got for Christmas and leave the hunters alone. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 12/30/14.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There's a lot of emotions displayed here.

Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry Ringman, but I get tired...no exhausted when you come around and start posting, basically calling a guy a liar that has owned a certain scope for 20 years. I can see what cummins cowboy was thinking but he was thinking the opposite ...not me. I don't post about killing elk because I've never killed one but I do have a good idea about how I would go about it and w/what gun and bullet I would use. Both FFP and SFP scopes will work and I happen to like my S&B 3-12x42 w/#4 reticle. Like I said... I CAN MAKE THE RETICLE ANY SIZE I WANT! powdr

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
powdr's never killed an elk! Dude, you really ought do something about that! LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've never killed an elk either.

But that's not due to the scope.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Power,
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,776
Posts18,476,982
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.