Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
http://precisionrifleblog.com/tag/jlk-vld/

I don't have one 10th the experience that most folks on these boards have; that is why I ask so many questions.

In the last year I have read and watched some Bryan Litz stuff; that tall target test was a real revelation to me.

According to the link listed above Berger Bullets are pulling ahead in popularity in some circles. Anecdotal and limited sample I admit...

Seems like Sierra is trying to up the ante with the TMK's.

The more I read and study I am thinking that this Litz fellow is actually advancing the science; at the very least he is making folks get mo honest with B/C claims.

This is a good thing to my way of thinking.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He is quite the bright fellow and I'd say in context of the lay public he is in fact advancing the science. Perhaps the tech as well? Appears to be more framed by match shooting and understanding ballistic gak than more pedestrian pursuits such as chasing deers and other critters.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I hate to admit it since I am a confirmed non-bench-rest prone in the dirt guy...

But it seems that a rising Gak lifts all boats.

These new young fellows developed slide rule density altitude calculators after all the fuss over in the sand pit.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Along with match shooting and designing bullets for Berger, Bryan's also heavily involved in research to help military snipers. I think he does some hunting, but no, it's not his main focus. That's researching how bullets actually behave in long-distance flight, where his degree in aeronautical engineering helps considerably.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Brain has physics degree if memory serves and once or still does work for NASA. He is extremely bright. I have picked his brain a few times before he gained so much notoriety in the shooting world. One can bank his advice.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Even in competition he seems more inspired to help others do well then to show how good he is , and to prove he is good I believe he set some National record the first time he ever shot a F-TR match........

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
He posts over at the long range hunting forum quite a bit. Definitely a smart guy and a great asset to the shooting community.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
how bullets actually behave in long-distance flight

That would be the bedrock of celestial mechanics. My late brother was an aerospace engineer. He talked funny sometimes.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whenever ballistics questions pop up on the forums, I can't help but think to myself, "that's probably been studied before at Aberdeen, Picatinny or some other gov't supported lab". Problem is that too often the information never gets out into the lay public. Some of those that have spread the wealth include Bob McCoy, Bill Davis and now Brian Litz. I don't know if Mr Litz does any work for the government, but I'm thinking that "not" is probably a plus since I'd much rather know about the flight characteristics of the multitude of small caliber bullets he's testing than the flight characteristics of fin stabilized projectiles, or the latest iternation of M829 DU Kintetic Energy Penetrators.

Check here for one of Mr. Litz' more recent projects;
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9398064/1 Hopefully one of you have a rifle that exhibits the desired behavior to help him document and study the "why's".

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/26/14.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Whenever ballistics questions pop up on the forums, I can't help but think to myself, "that's probably been studied before at Aberdeen, Picatinny or some other gov't supported lab". Problem is that too often the information never gets out into the lay public.

I think that's true. A lot of stuff that gets "discovered" in ballistics was known a long time ago to army ballisticians. It's pretty amazing some of the stuff they were doing even back in the late 1800's. It seems like a lot of it takes a long time to trickle out to the civilian world though.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Litz does refine a lot of previous work, but he's also found that many previous "truths" about rifle ballistics are wrong. Just as researchers in other fields have found previous conclusions were based on faulty data or misinterpreted data.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Faulty conclusions based upon best available, albeit faulty, data, is common throughout the sciences. Just look at the way some states set tag numbers, pure speculation... It's great when someone will come along with the foresight to correct legacy errors.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jwp475

Brain has physics degree if memory serves and once or still does work for NASA. He is extremely bright. I have picked his brain a few times before he gained so much notoriety in the shooting world. One can bank his advice.

Bryan worked for the USAF as a ballistic missile engineer. He and his family have put in countless hours into assisting shooters become more proficient at their shooting game. He and his dad are a riot to shoot with at prone matches.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does he still wear his train engineer's hat?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
he's also found that many previous "truths" about rifle ballistics are wrong.

You mean a 7em em doesn't shoot flat for about 300 yards and then rise up a little?
laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yup. Not that I'd refer to him as Choo Choo Charlie... grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Faulty conclusions based upon best available, albeit faulty, data, is common throughout the sciences.

Lordy, there be a lot of truth in those words.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Not sure what this is all about but reminded me:

One modern marvel manufacturing facility I've had the pleasure of working in was going strong during WW1 and added on, various production lines mixed in, converted and convoluted in the extreme. The crew, having seen it all BTDT, had a saying, "We have great Engineers here," then they'd do the reaching up with the right arm airhorn honk style and say, "Choo Choo". (-:

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Not sure what this is all about but reminded me:

One modern marvel manufacturing facility I've had the pleasure of working in was going strong during WW1 and added on, various production lines mixed in, converted and convoluted in the extreme. The crew, having seen it all BTDT, had a saying, "We have great Engineers here," then they'd do the reaching up with the right arm airhorn honk style and say, "Choo Choo". (-:

Bryan wears an engineer's hat being that he is an engineer. The Choo Choo Charlie reference is from the old Good 'n Plenty candy commercials.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
he's also found that many previous "truths" about rifle ballistics are wrong.

You mean a 7em em doesn't shoot flat for about 300 yards and then rise up a little?
laugh
Silly boy. You're thinking of the B-29. cool

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

249 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 24 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,122
Posts18,483,677
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.