-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You and I exchanged PM's some years ago, so I respect your opinion, and in fact, I considered the points you raise as I posted my remarks.

But consider, this, please:

In a big city, where another cop is possibly accompanying you, or if not, a call for backup brings one fairly quickly, the "Us vs Them" mindset may actually enhance officer safety. The attitude you project and your manner of speaking, if modified to be more friendly, probably wouldn't make a damn bit of difference as far as changing the mindset of the type people you interact with.

But when rural cops adopt the same attitude and manner of speaking - and many of them have, thanks in large part to TV shows, I believe - they are creating an "Us vs Them" mindset where none existed before. And, in these rural areas, it is detrimental to officer safety as well as making it more difficult to do their job.

A cop in a rural area NEEDS the citizenry more than the individual citizen is ever likely to need him.

And he damn sure needs us more than he NEEDS a member of NYPD.

But he identifies with them, not us.

And there's your "Us vs Them".

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570
You and I exchanged PM's some years ago, so I respect your opinion, and in fact, I considered the points you raise as I posted my remarks.

But consider, this, please:

In a big city, where another cop is possibly accompanying you, or if not, a call for backup brings one fairly quickly, the "Us vs Them" mindset may actually enhance officer safety. The attitude you project and your manner of speaking, if modified to be more friendly, probably wouldn't make a damn bit of difference as far as changing the mindset of the type people you interact with.

But when rural cops adopt the same attitude and manner of speaking - and many of them have, thanks in large part to TV shows, I believe - they are creating an "Us vs Them" mindset where none existed before. And, in these rural areas, it is detrimental to officer safety as well as making it more difficult to do their job.

A cop in a rural area NEEDS the citizenry more than the individual citizen is ever likely to need him.

And he damn sure needs us more than he NEEDS a member of NYPD.

But he identifies with them, not us.

And there's your "Us vs Them".
In your typical "county line" place up to the eighties at least, you have the Sheriff's Office get a call on some scumbag that's wanted or is a known troublemaker that seems about to blow up and an officer shows up. There might be five scumbags in the joint with the one really bad one as the leader and a couple more that might jump in on the cop if the opportunity arises. Then there will be a couple of alcoholic cowboys or farmers that may have been to jail themselves but are basically all right and who are gonna jump in on the side of the cop if the scumbags start to get the upper hand. The "us vs. them" mentality creates a situation where the old cowboy just heads out the backdoor instead.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both of these last 2 posts lends more weight to my earleir assertion. It is the Kali to Colorado migration in a nutshell. The boom town aspects of the Dakotas now. The nature of the problems migrates with the troublemakers. To be sure a lot of very first class folks move around a lot,but one RARELY hears of them fomenting violence or other really criminal behavior. Cops tend to morph along with the region they live in. Hell, you guys know there is a lot of meth cooking and usage in rural areas now and meth causes extremes by itself. In my 24 years on the streets, even da 'hood got far more violent and I had to radically change my approach just to survive.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crack changed everything, and none of it for the better.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Crack changed everything, and none of it for the better.

Thought y'all declared WAR on it sometime back?

grin

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm pretty sure that was the folks in Washington did that.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crack is one extremely potent psychotrope. Three drugs are the worst. PCP(angel dust),crack and meth. The USERS get explosively violent for little descernable reasons. The entire fabric of the areas they rule changes to violence.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Crack is one extremely potent psychotrope. Three drugs are the worst. PCP(angel dust),crack and meth. The USERS get explosively violent for little descernable reasons. The entire fabric of the areas they rule changes to violence.

Given that, it seems that "escalation of force" is not a viable policy for cops.

You are going step by step to get to the threshold of "deadly force" and your opponent is skipping all the steps.

Just shoot 'em before they get there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We didn't want to kill them we wanted them in jail. I am relieved to be retired as the violence is even worse but the rules for the force are far tighter. The citzenry is getting it right in the ass.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Hi, I'm Looking for Ray Finkle?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread is so..................Last Year.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Georgia Police Chief Accidentally Shoots Wife Twice

...and is placed on administrative leave. That oughta' teach him.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/wife-peachtree-city-police-chief-shot/njdyf/

Please don't paint with a broad brush folks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With a revolver.

laffin'

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Why does everybody have to be taken to the ground? Do handcuffs only work after being thrown or tackled to the ground?

I once worked with a retired Deputy Chief of Police from a very large police force and in the course of conversation we discussed police tactics. His advise was this:

1. NEVER argue with a cop; in the end, he has the last word - "You are under arrest".
2. NEVER touch a cop, even while pointing to make a point (see #1).
3. Once under arrest, he'll ask you to "Turn around" and handcuff you.
4. If you resist or refuse to turn around, he'll throw you to the ground (to get the upper hand) and handcuff you.

4 good rules to remember when talking to a cop.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He must not have been one of the highly trained ones that we hear much about.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He'll probably be on administrative leave for a little while, with full pay, while a report is concocted that clears him of any wrong doing.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A town of Madison police office was struck in the face with a handcuff while taking the woman into custody.
Last night some hussy got uppity. Get one cuff on and they get loose and start swinging, it's a weapon. Should've shot the cont.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/officer-security-manager-injured-in-badger-bowl-disturbance/30486032

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Georgia Police Chief Accidentally Shoots Wife Twice

...and is placed on administrative leave. That oughta' teach him.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/wife-peachtree-city-police-chief-shot/njdyf/

Please don't paint with a broad brush folks.

The article says the report of two shots was wrong. There was only one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Should've shot the cont."

Yep, the cop and two security guards were no match for her physically, according to YOUR link.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

Yep.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/psycho.txt

o Of all psychoactive substances, alcohol is the
only one whose consumption has been shown to
commonly increase aggression. After large doses
of amphetamines, cocaine, LSD, and PCP, certain
individuals may experience violent outbursts,
probably because of preexisting psychosis.
Research is needed on the pharmacological effects
of crack, which enters the brain more directly
than cocaine used in other forms.

o Alcohol drinking and violence are linked through
pharmacological effects on behavior, through
expectations that heavy drinking and violence go
together in certain settings, and through patterns
of binge drinking and fighting that sometimes
develop in adolescence.

o Illegal drugs and violence are linked primarily
through drug marketing: disputes among rival
distributors, arguments and robberies involving
buyers and sellers, property crimes committed to
raise drug money and, more speculatively, social
and economic interactions between the illegal
markets and the surrounding communities.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.