-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would imagine the reason the 1911s were "junky" was because most of them were well used. A new or slightly used 1911A1 is okay as a combat arm for the distance they were designed to be used at.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW Dad joined after Pearl Harbor, and was identified as a skilled mechanic, so he spent the war keeping B17's flying. He liked his 03 and qualified expert with it. At some point someone noticed the ace mechanic with the 03, and requisitioned it and gave him an M1 carbine. He was pissed about it, disliked the carbine, and so in his words, "pulled rank with the armorers" (he was a MSgt by then) and demanded a Thompson. He liked the Thompson.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by model70man
My Dad was a 28 year old Gunny on Guadalcanal and they used the '03 and Thompson almost exclusively. He said he threw his Reising into the sea since it was not reliable. He never saw a Garand until the Army relieved the 1st Marine Division later in the campaign. As one poster stated, marksmanship was everything. He was in G-2-1.

Funny. We were taught in Marine Corp History class that Guadalcanal was the first battle in which Marines used the Garand,

I remember, 'cause it was one of the test questions.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by model70man
My Dad was a 28 year old Gunny on Guadalcanal and they used the '03 and Thompson almost exclusively. He said he threw his Reising into the sea since it was not reliable. He never saw a Garand until the Army relieved the 1st Marine Division later in the campaign. As one poster stated, marksmanship was everything. He was in G-2-1.

Funny. We were taught in Marine Corp History class that Guadalcanal was the first battle in which Marines used the Garand,

I remember, 'cause it was one of the test questions.

I was about to post the same thing

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by derby_dude

The best battle rifle is a good controlled feed bolt action rifle and fire discipline.

Ummm, ok. If I have to go to battle, I hope all my enemies think like you.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 30-06 turns your "cover" into concealment. Bye-bye

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Curdog, the Marines landed at Guadalcanal equipped with the '03, but by the end of the campaign were equipped with M1s.

Some M1s were appropriated early from Army units before general issue. The firepower available was seen as a usable advantage and the Marines picked up or stole every one they could.

My experience is that M1s can suffer feeding issues if not equipped with milspec enbloc clips. I had several M1s, and I chased a feeding malfunction in one until I was going crazy, thinking some part was out of spec. I had gotten this rifle as a non-functioning piece of junk and had literally replaced everything except the receiver, front sight, trigger and safety. Timing was good. But I kept getting a 7th round stoppage. I then tried the suspect clips in another Garand I have known to be a reliable rifle, and had the same problem. Measuring the clip dimensions revealed that the opening on the malfunctioning clips was less than the reliable one, so I simply pulled them open (not easy to do) and the issue disappeared.

The clips were new, too.

It's not easy to top off the rifle if partially emptied. It can be done, but it's a two-handed affair. And like any other weapon that depends on springs, those need to be occasionally replaced.

It is very fast to reload when emptied, though. And the ammo is much bigger, heavier, and more powerful. 200 rounds of M1 ammo in clips is getting on the heavy side.

It is a much more robust weapon than the M16. You can literally beat someone to death with one and not hurt the damn thing.

It's not as accurate as the M16, but accurate enough for the type of battle infantry typically engages in.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

In todays combat environment a bolt gun is a good way to get yourself killed.
It aint no fantasy where you always have the high ground and targets in the open.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Accuracy of an M1?? 100 yds,prone rested on my pack. Service grade Springfield M1 using Fed GM match
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
My 30-06 turns your "cover" into concealment. Bye-bye

I have noticed that. Shoot a gong with an AR, then grab an M1.

We also shot some empty 20-lb freon bottles, and the AR would rock them, but the M1 (and 7.62X51) would knock them over.

Dirt back stops suffer more, too.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would imagine the reason the 1911s were "junky" was because most of them were well used. A new or slightly used 1911A1 is okay as a combat arm for the distance they were designed to be used at.

My dad as well as every other W-2 or Korean war vet I've ever known despised the 1911. There were a handful of those guns left over from WW-1, but most were new production guns. It was Coopers fictional writings after the Korean war that created the myth of the 1911 and the 45 acp.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by derby_dude

The best battle rifle is a good controlled feed bolt action rifle and fire discipline.

Ummm, ok. If I have to go to battle, I hope all my enemies think like you.

If you want absolute reliability in a battle rifle than a controlled feed bolt action rifle is it.

However, a good compromise between firepower and reliability is a good heavy duty semi-auto rifle like the M-1 Garand or the M1A1 (M-14).

That's what I was trying to get across.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyway, the reason why I'm saying rounds fired (not enemy killed) is because I'm curious as to whether the Garand action - on average - could stand up to the same number of cycles under battlefield conditions as - on average - the M16/M4 rifles.

Or your shoulder. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40

My dad as well as every other W-2 or Korean war vet I've ever known despised the 1911. There were a handful of those guns left over from WW-1, but most were new production guns. It was Coopers fictional writings after the Korean war that created the myth of the 1911 and the 45 acp.

What did they hate about them? I want to know. I've used a 1911 for a good part of my adult life. A 1911 used in the distance they were designed for work very well.

It's a poor workman who blames his tools.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40

i doubt they were new production as far as i know other than the recent guns all military 1911s were made in 1945 and before.......hell of alot of the ones issues in Korea and Vietnam prolly should have been scrapped long before......

Last edited by rattler; 12/31/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I think it was at Tarawa where the volcanic sand really gummed up the Garands. The Higgins boats each had a '03 in them, but by the end of the day, there were all gone, swapped for the Garands.

Of course I will probably be accused of Heresy for suggesting the Garand was not the perfect battle rifle.

I believe they still issued one 03A3 per squad due to a grenade launcher issue. Meaning one was not developed in enough time for the Garand.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
After initial sight in with some mixed bag ammo, this is the first group I shot with the Garand I gifted my dad.

Hornady 150gr InterCock and H4895.

[Linked Image]

But I gotta say, most AR's will do the exact same thing.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One was, but it didn't allow for use of ball ammo. The Springfield grenade launcher attachment did.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I spoke with my Dad extensively about this. He joined up ten days after Pearl Harbor. He liked the accuracy of the 1903A3, which is what he started out with in Basic in southern California. I think they were issued Garands at Fort Lewis, Washington. He felt the firepower of the Garand trumped the accuracy advantage of the Springfield.

Since Dad was in WWII, I knew a lot of veterans of that conflict. Several of my Uncles were too. Some of the stuff said in gun magazines doesn't true up with the stuff I heard. The 1911 wasn't well liked at all. It was seen as "junky" and inaccurate. The Thompson was seen as uncontrollable and the Grease Gun was another gun viewed as junk. The BAR seemed very well liked. Carbines were seen as handy, neat little guns that didn't have good stopping power.

Lt. Col. Anthony Herbert, a veteran of Korea and later Vietnam, was a huge fan of the BAR. Herbert went into the army a private and came out a light Colonel. He was THE most decorated veteran of the Korean conflict. He shot all the WWII era weapons and the BAR was his favorite.

We, amazingly, still had BARs in the ship's armory in the early 70s and I got to shoot them a few times. One could quickly grow fond of that weapon.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
We had similar discussion on WWII reenacting forum. One of the things that was brought up was not many 03-A3's made it out of the continental US. Most used outside were plain old 03's. Some A3's did make it out (and A4's naturally). But the bulk were 03's.

Several hundred thousand 03's and M1917's were given to both the 1eme and 2eme Free French Divisions after the Anfa Accord in 1942. And used up the boot of Italy as Operation Dragoon in South of France.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 10 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.