-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am actually pretty happy with my Vortex. I have had a couple set of Bino's, the Vultures and the Kaibab series. Both have nice glass. I had the Vultures fail me but I sent them back and got em fixed. No issues since.
The scopes, we went cheap and got a few of those Crossfire scopes Doug had on sale a few years ago. The 6-24 I think it is, is mounted on my best friends 7mag. 7 deer later and longest shot being over 600 yards, we aren't complaining too much lol. I mounted one of the 4-16s on my 25-06 and after zeroing it in, I noticed a spec of dust inside on the lense. The scope functions nice but that spec bothers me so it has to go back.
because I like how these low end Vortex have worked out, love the warranty concept, and feel their customer service is outstanding with the couple calls I have made and numerous emails, and have had minimal issues, I am looking to get a Viper HS for my 300 mag. I am hoping they have made improvements on the Viper scopes. Reading online on forums like this one, I have read numerous people complaining about the Viper and Viper PST. Some send em back and get them fixed and sell em and others have remounted and been happy.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks for putting those posts together!

I recall other suggestions, but how about it again? Readily available scopes for Big Game hunting, that will pass the test?

It's a pretty short list... Something like:
S&Bs?
Nightforce NSX
SWFA SS Fixed (and the 3-9x42?)
Bushnell Tactical _ _ _ _
Leupold 6x
?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Vortex is the first place I look for glass....currently using

2-3 PST's...couple HS-T's along with a couple HS-LR's....

Razor bins.....never a moments problem....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Thanks for putting those posts together!

I recall other suggestions, but how about it again? Readily available scopes for Big Game hunting, that will pass the test?

It's a pretty short list... Something like:
S&Bs?
Nightforce NSX
SWFA SS Fixed (and the 3-9x42?)
Bushnell Tactical _ _ _ _
Leupold 6x
?

Pretty close.

NF NSX and ATACR
SWFA
Bushnell 3-12x LRHS

Used to be that S&B's were great, however the issued PSR's are not good, and while it seems to not have affected the hunting lines, I don't generaly see enough in a year to make a solid statement. As well as the Leupold 6x's used to be very solid, however have seen more problems from them recently.

Have heard that the NF SHV's are doing well, and talking to NF they are building them correctly, at least for function, but they are not nearly indestructible as are the NSX's.

When seen in great numbers it is appalling how few scopes actually work time after time.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Vortex is the first place I look for glass....currently using

2-3 PST's...couple HS-T's along with a couple HS-LR's....

Razor bins.....never a moments problem....

If you don't mind... Could you share some details. I.e.- rifles, mounts, round counts, zeroing procedures, testing, frequency of zero conformation, what kind of use (abuse) do they see and do you check zero after drops, car rides, Etc.

Originally Posted by Enrique
I am actually pretty happy with my Vortex. I have had a couple set of Bino's, the Vultures and the Kaibab series. Both have nice glass. I had the Vultures fail me but I sent them back and got em fixed. No issues since.
The scopes, we went cheap and got a few of those Crossfire scopes Doug had on sale a few years ago. The 6-24 I think it is, is mounted on my best friends 7mag. 7 deer later and longest shot being over 600 yards, we aren't complaining too much lol. I mounted one of the 4-16s on my 25-06 and after zeroing it in, I noticed a spec of dust inside on the lense. The scope functions nice but that spec bothers me so it has to go back.
because I like how these low end Vortex have worked out, love the warranty concept, and feel their customer service is outstanding with the couple calls I have made and numerous emails, and have had minimal issues, I am looking to get a Viper HS for my 300 mag. I am hoping they have made improvements on the Viper scopes. Reading online on forums like this one, I have read numerous people complaining about the Viper and Viper PST. Some send em back and get them fixed and sell em and others have remounted and been happy.

Kique

Genuine question,

Why after a 50% return for service rate, would you want to spend more money on them? Granted, the speck on the glass may or may not be a real issue, but I'd bet money that there's more than that going on.

No one, and I mean- no one, would be ok with a rifle make/model that didn't fire 20-30% of the time straight from the factory. No one would be ok with about any other product that had as many reviews of problems, as they are with Vortex.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Apples and oranges.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Where sir do you get the 50% return rate? Love my Vortex spotting scope.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by sidepass
Where sir do you get the 50% return rate? Love my Vortex spotting scope.

He stated that he and his friend have four Vortex optics. Two binoculars, two scopes. One binocular failed, and he's about to send the scope back for service. Unless my math is that bad, that's 50%.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I like my Vortex Viper HS, it has yet to fail miserably and I have plenty of three-shot groups to prove it, although one today near the edge of the target, appeared to only have two holes! whistle

Thanks Formi...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the interesting thing to me about vortex is how they have taken the hunting optics world by storm. they have somehow got themselves into nearly every sporting goods store. They have also convinced the tactical community that some problems with scopes are ok.

vortex doesn't make anything to my knowledge they just private label optics from various parts of the world. quite a few other companies do this too.

The warranty is great and the company does respond to comments and suggestions. I for one would not buy their top end stuff like the razor line because I don't think it will hold its resale value that well. I also think its too close in price to big name brands. I have a vortex viper spottings scope I like quite a bit.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all for replying. I've had so much trouble staying logged on I've just been reading. Really appreciate thee info/responses. Think I'll bit the bullet and buy something on the suggested list. Pardon my ignorance, but what is SWFA?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned 2 Vortex Vipers in higher power ranges. They tracked "ok" but the glass left much to be desired.

I sold both within a few days of getting them and won't waste my money on another.

Last edited by Ghostman; 01/03/15.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've tried 3 vortex sold all of them

Double_D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Thanks to all for replying. I've had so much trouble staying logged on I've just been reading. Really appreciate thee info/responses. Think I'll bit the bullet and buy something on the suggested list. Pardon my ignorance, but what is SWFA?

What platform are you accessing the site on? The reason I ask is that I have the same problem on my iPad, using two different browsers.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as Vortex goes, I don't have a scope, but did buy a Sparc II red dot and think that it was a good buy. It's mounted on a .357 and has lasted about 50 rounds of heavy loads so far. I chose it for the 2min dot and the warranty. I went through three Bushnell red dots a couple years back, with the two replacements failing out of the box. I've had good luck with the mid-range Bushnell scopes (3200 & 4200), and even a couple of their Trophy models. Like Vortex, I believe their lower end stuff is farmed out to the lowest bidder. This is a risky idea IMO, as it puts you at the mercy of folks who will start out making good stuff to get a contract and then start cutting corners. Other manufacturers may outsource components to some degree, but if they control the final assembly and testing, they can keep defective stuff off the shelves.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Pardon my ignorance, but what is SWFA?

SWFA SS Fixed 6x

SWFA SS 3-9x42mm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Double_D
I've tried 3 vortex sold all of them

Ditto.......

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Once again thank you Sir. Given the considerable effort you put in evaluating scopes, your opinion is highly valued.

Pappy, I have a laptop, HP, with the most recent Windows program. It gives me fits on here, freezes, closes, takes forever to load ads. PITA.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
No problem and I hope it was of some help. Our goal should be to have reliable and durable equipment that allows use to zero and then get off the bench as soon as possible to learn and practice field shooting. THAT'S the crux of the matter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Readily available scopes for Big Game hunting, that will pass the test?

NF NSX and ATACR
SWFA
Bushnell 3-12x LRHS

How about regular/typical low magnification variable hunting scopes (1.1-4, 1.25-4, 1-6, 1.5-6, etc.)? Just don't see myself putting one of the above tacticool scopes on any of my DGR's to hunt Africa...

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,257
Posts18,486,360
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.