Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
As per there website, the 84L 30-06 family, goes 5 lb 10 oz.

Jim in Idaho,

Never handled a Brown, how do you like them?

Thanks everybody for a lot of good information here.

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Prairie Goat,
I'm not worried about recoil. Although, something too severe can be quite uncomfortable. Usually, don't notice when shooting at a critter.

Mudhen,
Sweet setup you got there. I just put one of those Ultralight, 2-7, on my 350 rem mag. Nice lightweight little scopes.

You should be worried about recoil.

But what the hell do I know. I�ve only seen a couple thousand hunters come through camp, and about 2 out of 10 who brought 300 mags could shoot a 300 Mag accurately. Those were usually in 8-9 lb. rifles. The guys shooting light 300 mags were basically guaranteed to screw up.

The stock design and how it fits the shooter has a lot more to do with felt recoil than the rifle weight, especially shooting from field positions. It's not hard to set up a nice light rifle with relatively mild felt recoil if you know what you're doing, or a heavy rifle that kicks hard if you don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think they are good stocks and are very comparable to a Hi-Tech. The grip is long and open, it feels a lot like a Remington KS stock. One drawback is that they don't come with checkering and unless you put a grippy paint on them can be a little slippery.

For what Brown charges I think a nice checkered McMillan Edge fill stock would be a better choice since they are similar in price. But also be aware that if you go with anything besides the slender McMillan Hunter's Edge pattern the McMillan could end up 4-6 ounces heavier than the Brown even with the edge fill.

Here's a decent view of a Brown so you can see the profile of the grip. This was my M700 FS .30-06 and is the one I used to get the 7 lbs. 2 oz weight.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
how about a model 70 fwt in a mcm edge, depending how you scope it you can be pretty close to your target weight, if not I'd just buy and kimber and give it a whirl.

That is what I did.

My Kimber 308 is a hair under 6 lbs scoped. I like it, but consider it a special use gun for those times when it has to be really light. I find 7-7.5lbs about perfect for all around use. Light enough, but not too light. You can do the same things with a Remington and be about 4 oz lighter. I just like the Winchester better and feel it is worth 4 oz. If I really want to go light I still have the Kimber.

You can keep a Tikka at 7 lbs scoped right out of the box if you keep the optics light. For the money not a bad choice.

SS FWT in an Edge, 30-06. 7 lbs 5 oz

[Linked Image]

Winchester 70 SS Classic 300WSM, Edge stock, PTG aluminum bottom metal with VX-2 in a 3-9X40 with Talley lightweights. 7.5 lbs and recoil is very tolerable. That is a Burris scope in the photo but it currently wears the Leupold.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If my brain were oriented around to your way of thinking I would be looking at a M70/MRC/Montana in 300 WSM.

The way I tend to look at things I'm considering a Ruger American Stainless Compact in 308 topped with a FX-II next.

That is if/when/after I make some progress on the other 2 dozen projects I'm working on first.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blacktailer,

What kind of stock are you running?

Haven't heard much about the Tikka Lite in 30-06 kicking to bad.

That stock was made for me by a smith in Stockton, Ca. I don't know what he starts with. He fit it to me and knows what he is doing because he also fits a lot of competition shotguns. It was built in the mid 80's and has a Sorbacoil pad.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

To the OP, I've owned all that you have on your list except the Tikka. I recently replaced my Kimber Montana 308 with a MRC and have been happier with the MRC. Both are accurate in my experience, but as reviewed in another post, the MRC is more pleasant to shoot, and easier for me to shoot well. Maybe it's the stock fit, or the extra pound+, or both. If I were looking for a lighter version, I'd pay more for the lighter version of the MRC from their custom shop before going back to the Kimber. While I buy too many, I own/keep just a few rifles that I really enjoy and sell all of the others. So, I am willing to pay for the few that I really enjoy, which is less expensive than a safe full of ones that sit unused.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

From an era when people could still carry a gun hunting...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you can stomach a Tikka you may also want to check out the Sako A7.

I have one in 300 WSM that weighs right at 7lbs with a 6x42 Leupold. Recoil is 'noticeable' with 180's at 3000 fps but if you practice with it no big deal.

That said I like the Montana a lot. The 84M is beyond sweet and I plan on getting an 84L within the next year or two. They are pretty much perfect for carrying around the hills.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The thing is, no one's rifle posted thus far is 7 lbs. all up. Most are a minimum of 7.5, and quite a few are more like 8 ready to hunt. In 30-06, you're looking at something like a Kimber 84L Montana to get to 7 lbs. ready to hunt, and it's going to generate something like 24 lbs. of fast recoil with 180s. Not fun for practice. A 300 Mag at that weight is downright unpleasant.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I understand the idea of a stock that fits. A Kimber or NULA stock is a big help with a light rifle. But there's no overcoming physics. Light rifles kick hard, and are difficult to shoot in the field. 7 lbs. ready to hunt is the bottom end of what I consider an acceptable weight for field accuracy/portability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But there's no overcoming physics. Light rifles kick hard, and are difficult to shoot in the field. 7 lbs. ready to hunt is the bottom end of what I consider an acceptable weight for field accuracy/portability.

Any who thinks differently has simply not shot a 7lb 300 mag & sometimes field positions are not perfect to shoot from thus making the shot harder & the rifle harder to handle.

Sometimes people just gotta learn by doing.

Hell, other than for 338's & above I don't even own a magnum anymore........standard cartridges at sane ranges kill just fine.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The thing is, no one's rifle posted thus far is 7 lbs. all up.

Good point....

With sling and(4 rounds of 243 ammo) my 300 WSM weighs over 7.5lbs. Throw in a bipod and it might weigh as much as Shrapnel's rifle.....grin

Edge stock which is actually about 2ozs heavier than the factory plastic.

Worst case scenario from the bench(off bags) in the original(hollow) stock, recoil wasn't terrible. The Edge and soft pad turned it into ladies gun.

[Linked Image]

The little magic wand(243).

Imagine a 308 would be even lighter.

[Linked Image]

I bet a 30-06 Montana would be more fun to shoot than a 300 Win Tikka.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So I've been wanting a new, lightweight rifle. My others are Remingtons with one Ruger in the mix. They all weigh between low 8 lbs to about 9 1/2 lbs.

I would like to have one that weighs 7 lb or less all up.

I have been thinking about the following. I know there are a lot of differences in them, but what do you think.

1. Build on a remington. Will probably be spendy after machine work and still purchasing a nice stock.

2. TIKKA-

3. Kimber Montana

4. MRC-XWR-Haven't handled this one, only there ASR.

Am looking at either 30-06 or 300 Winnie. I want to stick with .308 caliber on this one.

OK let er rip. Opinions please.

Man, I thought you were set on going with the MRC. Come on man, don't disappoint us now... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Blacktailer,

What kind of stock are you running?

Haven't heard much about the Tikka Lite in 30-06 kicking to bad.
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .300 win mag with straight 6x weaver sling and kickeez pad weighs a couple of oz. over 7 lbs. Its got recoil ,but causes no pain. Aint work with it enough to know how accurate but preliminary tests have been great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
The 8400 Kimber montanas are not in the same league as their short action brethren.

Why is that? Would you explain please?

If you want a truly lightweight rifle, you should start with a short action cartridge in the first place because it's lighter than the same rifle in a long action. You should also use aluminum rings and bases instead of steel.

There's no point in spending $1200 to get a light rifle and then immediately start adding weight back on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka 30-06
[Linked Image]

Kimber 270 WSM
[Linked Image]

Faux Ti 260
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Turn key I would go 84L or a Tikka super lite. Kimber's stock has it all over the Tikka, though as mentioned, ain't many that've seen a Tikka that don't shoot.

Forbes? Maybe a Colt Light Rifle? A 700 with a 22" MR or KS contour in an Edge would be sweet. If your semi-handy, a Bansner HI Tech stock cans save you a couple bills. Lots of used McMillans around as well.

Proper rings and scope go a long ways to sub 7lb set ups.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I bet a 30-06 Montana would be more fun to shoot than a 300 Win Tikka.

I bet you're right.........

And a 270 would be even more fun...........

And a 7-08 in the 84M would be even more fun yet.........

And it would still be able to kill elk.

I have a 1st Gen Ti in 7-08 & it goes 6.25lb, scoped.

MM

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The thing is, no one's rifle posted thus far is 7 lbs. all up. Most are a minimum of 7.5, and quite a few are more like 8 ready to hunt. In 30-06, you're looking at something like a Kimber 84L Montana to get to 7 lbs. ready to hunt, and it's going to generate something like 24 lbs. of fast recoil with 180s. Not fun for practice. A 300 Mag at that weight is downright unpleasant.

Here's a Remington Mtn rifle in an Edge. Granted it's a short action 243, but a long action ain't gonna add 1/2 pound, especially with a bigger hole in the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Here's a Husqvarna 1640 in an Edge stock with a 23" barrel. It's a 7x57 but was a 30/06 before the new tube.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 222ND, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,533
Posts18,530,989
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.