Campfire Tracker
F
Ok.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
So what's your reply to the fact that only 2 (two) of the Top 50 precision rifle shooters in the country are using Nightforce scopes.

15x top end on NF's only FFP offering mainly, and to a lesser extent an over belief in "glass", and sponsorship. Beyond that, how many Bushnell Tacticals were in the top ten...?

The 5-25x S&B has been and is the standard for high end FFP scopes for tactical matches. It was for a long time the only viable choice. You will see ALOT of Vortex Razor Gen II's in the next few years, and a bunch of NF FFP ATACR's. S&B's failing at matches is happening more and more and people are starting to notice. The Gen II's will be very popular this year, and the FFP ATACR's will kill it when they are released.

You'll wanna order the 4-16x ATACR.... and that's not a guess.

Actually, I won't want to at all. smile

When Leupold makes a scope like the Mark 4 M5 A2 there's no reason to do so unless you don't like money.

How many S&B's, Nightforce's, US Optics, Steiners, Khales etc....do you think I have beaten over the last few years with Leuopold scopes finishing as high as I have at the few major matches I've shot?

I admittedly don't have the drive or desire anymore to prove what I can do in the Rifle World as I did in the Shotgun World. But there's no doubt that Leupold isn't holding me back

cool

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ric,

Does Leupold send loaners when yours are getting repaired? Or are you like the rest of us... without scope/rifle for a few weeks?

I was pissed when my LRF died, but Swaro gave me a loaner so that eased the pain a bit. Didn't do me any good while I was in the field with a dead LRF though. I'd imagine the same would apply to a scope dying on a hunt or comp, wouldn't?

Jason

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They don't send a loaner. Repair turnaround time is quick. The two I had to send back were returned to me in 3 weeks

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Originally Posted by Tanner
ehg don't know as much as he thinks he knows? That's some Grade-A humor right there...
Tanner
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Actually if March were using the French, NATO, old Army 6400 division in a circle then the reticle would have moved less than indicated. It was moving further than indicated.

In other words the clicks were bigger than a real Trigonometric 0.1 Mil so the March Mil would be fewer division in the circle, or less than 6283. The Russkis used a 6000 division Mil.

You are correct and I guess I shoulda watched the video before making my comment... I took for granted it would be the same bitching and complaining of how the March does not track in true Mils etc...I stand corrected and my statement should be a general statement of the current March scope product line and not directed towards the video... I only watched the first video and then posted the others as I am working off my phone with sub par service...

Umm OK.

When someone posts a completely wrong post that offers advise that actually makes the problem worse I figure that fella fits in the "don't know what he don't know" category.

For the record I started out pretty light handed.

On a side note I reckon EHG is way above average and for that reason I actually spend the time to really read what he has to post. That is why I am the only one here that actually understood what he posted and why it was factually wrong.

Respect is not just blindly agreeing with someone just because they have a pretty impressive DD214. cool

I explained my post as slowly as possible and why I posted what I did... It has nothing to do with my lack of knowledge on how a scope works or the value at which one tracks... As stated before I did not watch the video prior to making that post...I've seen at least 2 other video's and numerous pages of complaints on March scopes and took for granted that the attached video was the same... That was my bad and I manned up to it...

Now I will ask for a third time....
If Leupy's were such great scopes why would a guy have to install a worthless reticle and cheesey (not to be confused with Cheetohs) 1/3 MOA turrets to pimp them... The product can't stand on its own...

I guess it doesn't really matter as you've dodged that question in another thread as well as 3 times in this one... It's really none of my business or anyone else's for that matter... Obviously it works for you and you're happy with it... I still think its cheesy at its chessyest...

I doubt Tanner was blindly agreeing with anyone... The young man is very astute and will go places and do things that 90% of the masses will only read about...

I painfully will have to Bow out of this discussion for a bit as I have to attend a Crocheting Convention in the southern part of the state... That Crocheting stuff is serious business... I won't have service again until the 16th so you gals have fun...

Keep it Real Agent "Orange"...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide
If Leupy's were such great scopes why would a guy have to install a worthless reticle and cheesey (not to be confused with Cheetohs) 1/3 MOA turrets to pimp them... The product can't stand on its own...

"Cheesy" 1/3 MOA clicks equate to .1 mil.

Wtf is wrong with that? That's what good scopes are based on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recall Frank Galli (Lowlight at Snipershide) stating, "Leupold fails the most, Nightforce the least, and S&B somewhere in between." Or something to that effect, I just remember the main idea.

I know Frank used to be much more willing to share opinions on Leupold failures but I think people started getting defensive (offended). He stated numerous times that he is just relaying what is seen in his classes and others precision shooting schools. Its really no different than what Formi has been saying...

Post by Lowlight:

Re: whats wrong with leupold?

Funny, you see the truth, you point out the problems, which happen far too often, you're a hater of the company...

When class after class the number one scope to fail is Leupold, --then people claim because so many of them are out there, well these are their "tactical" scopes and not the hunting line. When we have a competition with 92 shooters and the one brand with multiple scope failures on the line is Leupold, to the point where people can no longer continue to compete, that is not hate, but a problem within the product line.

However if I see a problem and bring it to the company and they tell me we'll look into it, and I say nothing --- people also get up in arms.

When you point out the scopes "no longer" say Made in USA, people get upset with the messenger, and don't question a company who's prices have gone up, who's failure rates has increased, and who moved to second tier parts enough to lose the Made in USA tag, we are haters.

Sure plenty of scopes are made overseas, but their failure rate is not reflected on their location. For a company like NF, who is bringing things on shore, and is used every bit alongside Leupolds in the military, the failure rate cannot be compared... it's easily 5 to 1, maybe even 10 to 1. Sure Leupolds are packaged with system rifles, but that is not based on success, but volume, the ability to produce replacements better than any other company.

Are they god awful, no not at all, but really would I invest my money in one given the choices, absolutely not. Given the same budget, there are better scopes to invest in, some for less money.

I have a new M5 here to review, I think from the outside it is a decent scope, we'll see how it performs... but other companies out there are definitely beating Leupold at their own game haters or not.

Link to Lowlight post

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Always get a kick of the "Leopold" reference.

Interesting, but....

I'd rather see a summary data table with accurate measures as opposed to watching videos where data is reported as something like "about 19."

Last edited by 1minute; 01/07/15.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Yeah, I had a weak moment there but came to my senses when they came back, adjusted perfectly, and shot 1-hole groups. laugh

I can see giving them another go if you've had good luck with them..

What about the next time? I dont have that exact scope you have, but believe they all use the same erector..So it will happen..someday you might just get tired of fuggin around.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I agree with formadiolo on why the Horus came about. However I think it's a crappy concept when your scope works correctly mechanically if I am doing a holdover reticle the best one I have seen is the nightforce velocity reticles.

Look the Leopold deniers are ill rational. That means they can't be reasoned with. That means it does no good to argue with them, imagine pouring water on a rock.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I explained my post as slowly as possible and why I posted what I did... It has nothing to do with my lack of knowledge on how a scope works or the value at which one tracks... As stated before I did not watch the video prior to making that post...I've seen at least 2 other video's and numerous pages of complaints on March scopes and took for granted that the attached video was the same... That was my bad and I manned up to it...

It has everything to do with your lack of knowledge. You didn't bother to actually watch videos you posted because you were just sure those vids would support your view point.

March gets a pass and a (wrong) explanation of how to adjust for miss matched clicks but Leupold is crap. Seems Legit. cool

Here is a hint. Do your phhucking due diligence. That's how the Big Boys play the game.

Do you know how I know that you know you know way less than I know on this subject. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

WTF are you yappin about???

Looks like there isn't a body hit on that cow pic John ? Blood on the front leg though. Probably a non-pass through VLD ?

Your friend,

Roy

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I recall Frank Galli (Lowlight at Snipershide) stating, "Leupold fails the most, Nightforce the least, and S&B somewhere in between." Or something to that effect, I just remember the main idea.

I know Frank used to be much more willing to share opinions on Leupold failures but I think people started getting defensive (offended). He stated numerous times that he is just relaying what is seen in his classes and others precision shooting schools. Its really no different than what Formi has been saying...

Post by Lowlight:

Re: whats wrong with leupold?

Funny, you see the truth, you point out the problems, which happen far too often, you're a hater of the company...

When class after class the number one scope to fail is Leupold, --then people claim because so many of them are out there, well these are their "tactical" scopes and not the hunting line. When we have a competition with 92 shooters and the one brand with multiple scope failures on the line is Leupold, to the point where people can no longer continue to compete, that is not hate, but a problem within the product line.

However if I see a problem and bring it to the company and they tell me we'll look into it, and I say nothing --- people also get up in arms.

When you point out the scopes "no longer" say Made in USA, people get upset with the messenger, and don't question a company who's prices have gone up, who's failure rates has increased, and who moved to second tier parts enough to lose the Made in USA tag, we are haters.

Sure plenty of scopes are made overseas, but their failure rate is not reflected on their location. For a company like NF, who is bringing things on shore, and is used every bit alongside Leupolds in the military, the failure rate cannot be compared... it's easily 5 to 1, maybe even 10 to 1. Sure Leupolds are packaged with system rifles, but that is not based on success, but volume, the ability to produce replacements better than any other company.

Are they god awful, no not at all, but really would I invest my money in one given the choices, absolutely not. Given the same budget, there are better scopes to invest in, some for less money.

I have a new M5 here to review, I think from the outside it is a decent scope, we'll see how it performs... but other companies out there are definitely beating Leupold at their own game haters or not.

Link to Lowlight post

I experienced too adjustment issues with Leupold just as Lowlight posted. RC, john Burns and a friend that is an amazing long range Hunter shooter use leupolds and have had better luck with them than I. I simply moved on have been very pleased.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like tater tots................

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Real world gun fighting and hunting are 2 very different applications.

This.

I think the reason so many confuse the two are they have little actual experience hunting, and none gun fighting....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by David_Walter

This.

I think the reason so many confuse the two are they have little actual experience hunting, and none gun fighting....

To borrow a term from my 10 year old, that's Captain Obvious, and has been my thought process all along.

If my priority is reliability, should I listen to a gun fighter whose survival is at stake or should I listen to a long range hunter who sales the scope he promotes and has no risk of survival?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If my priority is reliability, should I listen

Troops:

I'd rather not listen to anyone. Just put up documented data describing ones methods or procedures, the products compared, and the results.

I see statements here like 5 to 1 failure rates. How many of each were compared? If there were 500 X's and 100 Y's with respective failures of 100 and 20, then we have similar rates of 20%.

Show us some data please. The videos exhibiting 1 Burris, Leupold, Tasco, etc that are not even remotely similar products (i.e a 12X vs a 6X vs a 20X) does not a trial make.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/07/15.

1Minute
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
How much are you paying for documented data? Discretion is your friend.

Heck, I couldn't tell you how many Leups have failed me alone. But I can tell you its WAY more than is acceptable TO ME, without quantification.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by David_Walter

This.

There is one constant that is the same in both hunting and gun fighting, the need for reliability and that Is why it is brought up.
A totaly reliable scope with high resolution and excellent low light ability is an asset in either gun fighting or hunting. Those aspects correlate.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I agree with formadiolo on why the Horus came about. However I think it's a crappy concept when your scope works correctly mechanically if I am doing a holdover reticle the best one I have seen is the nightforce velocity reticles.

Look the Leopold deniers are ill rational. That means they can't be reasoned with. That means it does no good to argue with them, imagine pouring water on a rock.

Wow, I am imagining pouring water on a rock. laugh

Originally Posted by RDFinn

WTF are you yappin about???

Looks like there isn't a body hit on that cow pic John ? Blood on the front leg though. Probably a non-pass through VLD ?

Your friend,

Roy

Look again.

VLD exit at point of shoulder. Stream of lung blood on front leg.

Right now I am very angry at you and will not be sending you a birthday card this year. Harsh, yes, but fair.

Your Friend,

John

Originally Posted by jwp475
I experienced too adjustment issues with Leupold just as Lowlight posted. RC, john Burns and a friend that is an amazing long range Hunter shooter use leupolds and have had better luck with them than I. I simply moved on have been very pleased.

Seems like a pretty level headed approach.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,703
Posts18,494,295
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.